Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch (Phoenix area)

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Sweet Willie, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a stay in late March at this property, I'm diamond.

Is there a lounge? (breakfast in lounge or in restaurant).

Parking charge (self vrs valet)?

Anyone been?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a lounge that is very nice and large. There is no parking charge unless you want to use valet but self parking is close to hotel entrance. Great resort, enjoy yourself. The Diamond suite upgrades get you a very large room and not really a suite.

3. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    This property is on my 2012 list to visit :)

4. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was there last weekend. Diamond breakfast is in the lounge; honor bar and some hot dishes (southwest-themed last weekend) in the evening. In other words, the usual Regency club stuff.

One of the best benefits for Diamond/RC guests is free day use of the spa facilities. There are separate male/female areas with steam room and sauna indoors and sitting area and (small) jacuzzi outdoors. Between these two areas is a co-ed area with a (large) mineral pool and plenty of seating.

5. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would highly suggest booking the "chef's dinner" in the SWest Restaurant. This is a 5 (6)? course meal personally prepared and served by the chef, with wines selcted to match each course. We went with another couple, (who are foodies) and they loved it. Mr. Sophie also loved it, and he is a picky eater. Last fall the cost was $60 PP (w/out tip) and worth every penny. It is a great way to spend the evening.

If you book in the Italian restaurant, you get a free gondola ride after dinner.

We love this property. Think you will have a great time - but agree with a previous post...do not waste a suite upgrade; instead book / request a room with an extended balcony. Views are great and gives you a lot more space than the regular balcony.

bbbb likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the responses, we are really looking forward to our stay here
    great to hear about free self park !!! I was not able to use my ste upgrades as the resort is sold out of suites at the time I'm going, in fact the gm of the property emailed me to apologize in advance for the probable lack of an upgrade due to being sold out. We have a balcony room booked currently.
    My word, how big is this property !!!???[​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. Windward Side of Life

Windward Side of Life Active Member

Status Points:
    It is a very large, very nice resort property. It sits aside a (smallish) lake with a semi-private golf course on other side which guests may book. Anyone can ride the gondolas for $10 pp I believe, or, visitors eating at the Alto Ristorante get rides for free. The gondoliers even serande you during the ride or at least used to.

As Sniklec mentioned above, the spa is marvelous. My wife even prefers it over the highly esteemed Grand Hyatt Kauai spa. The separate spa facilites are extensive and the co-ed mineral pool is a step into another world. You can hardly believe you are in the midst of a resort in the middle of a huge city. It is so tranquil. If you will be there in March the weather should be perfect for lounging around, napping under the palm trees, sunning and soaking your cares away.

The lounge is also excellent. The offerings are fairly standard, but the setting is again very pleasant and serene, provided children are not running amok which can frequently be the case. The lounge has an outside seating area that abuts a small pond and is very enjoyable for a leisurely breakfast. Inside seating is on two tiers with some areas sectioned off for "adults only" which can be nice when many families are present. The lounge bar is immediately outside the club and features live music many nights of the week. The large sliding glass doors of the lounge are completely opened during nice weather providing another exceptionally pleasant experience.

Discount dining coupons are currently available for the various restaurants/lobby lounge (including Alto) on Restaurant.com and are available at 80% off right now with discount code. Highly recommend getting some to use during your upcoming stay.

8. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Sweet Willie, post: We have a balcony room booked currently."

SW, there is a difference between a balcony and an extended balcony room. A major differernce .
    Check on availability of the latter.

9. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used a suite upgrade here and ended up with a massive two room suite. A big bedroom, ie the regular room, plus a second connected room that was a big living room type area. It was nice except that it wrapped around behind the elevator banks and was noisy at night/early morning.

As described above, the lounge is very peaceful and feels like a refuge from the rest of the resort

The one thing not to miss though is the pool. Or better, pools. Lots of fun floating about with a beverage in hand

Enjoy your stay.

10. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah....but did you find the pool for 2?

11. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a firm retreat weekend so I am kind of glad that the pool for 2 remains unknown [​IMG]

12. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah..yes, probably for the best....[​IMG]

13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    is there a lazy river type system at this property?

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are a series of pools. One with a slide. One with an almost swim up bar. All nice.

hyatt-scottsdale-pool-1.jpg

gallery_141.jpg

hyatt-regency-scottsdale-resort-at-gainey-ranch-golf-overview-2.jpeg

Gargoyle and Sweet Willie like this.
  15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the pics, nice. Mrs Sweet Willie & I had a blast on the slide at the Hyatt Maui, it was a FAST one! (well ok, after a number of rum drinks, it seemed fast[​IMG])

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    The one in Scottsdale is nothing like the one in Maui so don't get to excited. They also have a sandy beach area on the far end of the pool.

17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I agree that the Chef's dinner is a great idea. We did it 3 weeks ago. It's 4 course meal, 60USD total per person with wine, tequila and dessert wine. Great deal, totally worth the money.

They also have a band nightly at least on the weekends, they're pretty good. The bar is nice, prices are not outrageous.

The club breakfast is pretty decent and you can sit outside by the duck pond.

It was too cold to use the pools, but the pools look very impressive.

Very cool that both the club and the pools had areas reserved for adults only.

We only had one issue: After 10PM it's impossible to even buy cold water at the property. They have some stupid refill bottles for sale for 8 bucks in one of the shop, the big gift shop that has water closes early. Tip: Get it from valet.

The most important thing to mention is to not expect this being even close to a luxury property. It's a regular Hyatt Regency with a cool bar, good restaurants and awesome pools. The room was very average (Club Suite), needs updating and didn't impress me at all, especially for what the rates can be here. Shower only, no tub in a "suite". Nothing even close to luxurious. Regular Portico.

The Diamond "upgrade" cert I used was a huge waste. The room is 50 sqft larger than a regular room, but there was no view and very dark due to lack of windows. For the first time in my life, I called customer service and they refunded the upgrade. The rooms are very average and there are a lot better properties in the area, but would stay again if the price is less than 170 a night.

18. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    tommy 777 makes some great points in his post. (esp the part where he agrees with my assesment of the chefs dinner ;) )

this property is one of our favorite in the US, but it is the staff attitude, property beauthy, and CL that makes it for us. the rooms are nothing special, and the (for me) weird see through decorative brick separation thing between balconies takes up space, but does not add privacy. get a room overlooking the fountain courtyard, and you will be looking at convention breakfasts, well attended cocktail parties, or a wedding service. The last is pretty, but the first 2 are pretty noisy. If you overlook the central courtyard, then you have the restaurants, bar, etc to contend with. If you spend no time out on your balcony....who cares - - but as I like to sit out there with a cup of coffee and check out FT MP :) all those other people can get a little distracting. :p

the extended balcony rooms are great....but you are still right on top of the people next door. last time the people next door were honeymooners. they must have had candlelight dinners, romantic breakfasts, and strawberries and champagne delivered every day, and then spent lots of time on top...well, never mind. Great for them....but we felt a little nosy staying out on our balcony...so inside we went.

we still love it, and recommend it highly - but like Key West...it is not a true "resort" a la Hawaii - just a great property.

19. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    a Hyatt that seems to command quite a premium price. Thanks for the tip on the chef's dinner, I mean thanks for agreeing with sophiegirl on the good tip for the chef's dinner:D

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    They cook right in front of you, the head chef does your cooking and interacts with you throughout the meal. It's a lot of fun. I have some pics, will post them shortly

21. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Bed in the "Club Suite". Very dark, no windows in the sleeping area
    [​IMG]

Regency Club patio
    [​IMG]

The head chef preparing the meal. Quite cool to watch the entire kitchen in action
    [​IMG]

Wine Me Dine me, great deal at 60 bucks including drinks. Only 6 seats available per seating.
    [​IMG]

The 4 drink offerings
    [​IMG]

22. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    First course, chicken Tamale.
    [​IMG]

Second course, tomato and fresh cheese with a yummy sauce
    [​IMG]

Sorry, no picture of the main (a huge New York strip or a sea bass)

Pastry chef presents dessert
    [​IMG]

Dessert
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the poor iphone picture quality

23. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah, those things are crap;)
    Thanks for the pictures, looks like a dinner is planned for us.

24. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly we did not get to enjoy the 'chef's dinner' @ SWest. Found out that if one wants to do the gondola ride it is $10 if one doesn't dine at the Italian restaurant. How is the gondola ride anyways?

All in all, really enjoyed our stay. Concierge staff is terrific. Lounge setting is very nice, quality pastries/muffins/breads for morning spread and of course the lox/bagel I crave in the morning, evening spread I thought was a bit sparse but decent enough.

Loved the free parking.

The adult pool was key to our enjoyment of this resort, we hung out near the waterfall area so that the white noise diminished any sounds around us, not that there were many. Pool servers were very attentive.

Our room was not ready at 1pm when we arrived so they gave us a 30% off cert (breakfast or lunch, excludes alcohol, tax & gratuity). I'm sure this is only given to folks with status as I noticed two other couples checking in who were simply told that their room was not ready and check in was at 3:30pm. So if anyone from MP is staying at this place, who doesn't have status, and plans on arriving at the resort early, start a conversation with me and I'll send you the cert so you can use.

Mrs Sweet Willie LOVED this property, & I think she is starting to question my status moves as I mentioned that we are going to be a Hyatt 'nobody' next year due to me getting RA status with IHG. I sure hope IC's can live up the the RA hype I read about on the IHG forum, otherwise I'll be in the doghouse next year.:D