Hyatt Regency Santa Clara

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by viguera, May 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just came back from a single night stay here, it's a decent property but there's a lot going on with the area.

I needed an "airport" hotel since I had an early flight after staying in San Francisco and didn't want to deal with the awful traffic on the 101. The hotel is not that close to the airport (about a 10 minute drive to SJC), but I rolled the dice anyway.

It's a solid property, the rooms are spacious and well appointed, although the "Business King" that I had and a double that I was offered earlier had "pocket" doors to the bathroom (which was big enough, but still noticeably small).

There was a spacious work area, Eames lounge-style chair, etc.

The Regency Club is on the first floor and indoors, and although it's relatively spacious I can see it getting crowded easily, plus there are no windows which makes the whole area seem smaller.

The only caveats that I can see is that California's Great America (the theme park) is right up the street, and Levi Stadium (where the 49ers are moving) is almost complete and literally next door, so there's bound to be some real bad traffic in the area during the summer (when the park is open) and in the Fall when football season starts.

There was a conference next door (the hotel is attached to the convention center) so the lobby was crowded, and the pool area was closed for a private function so I couldn't check them out.

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good overview.

I was there last fall and it was a little dated feeling in decor but very clean.

3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this the same property that was previously a Westin and before that I think it was a Doubletree? Attached to the Santa Clara Convention Center? It was never quite up to the Westin standard and probably isn't up to Hyatt either.

Do they offer an airport shuttle?

viguera likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the one.

There's a shuttle, but it's run by an outside company and therefore not complimentary. It's $15-20 per person IIRC to take the shuttle to SJC.

The airport is 6 miles away, but in bad traffic that can easily be 20 minutes or more.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There really aren't many good hotel choices near SJC. The Doubletree is probably the best but it's pricey for an airport hotel.

viguera likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. This wasn't necessarily cheap either... Even with Hyatt's "my elite rate" it was still $180-something for that one night.

But leaving out of SJC I knew that if I stayed in downtown SFO I would have never made my flight.

Incidentally, Delta/Alaska did cancel my original flight without any sort of notification. I found out when I tried to check my bag at the airport. Then we had an equipment change in LAX and half the plane (763) didn't have seat assignments so that was tons of fun.

My wife swore off Delta off this trip and 2 others we've had issues with this year alone. Good times. :)

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gosh and I thought UA was the only one with problems in reliability

viguera likes this.
  8. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't worry too much about Great America traffic. It's not what it once used to be. I think trying to find parking on the same day as a big event at the convention center is more of a hassle.

Given the choice, I prefer the Hilton right across the street.