Hyatt Regency San Francisco

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Kalboz, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at this property on an NBT award for three nights. As a Diamond, I requested and was upgraded to a nice spacious balcony suite (# 640). Offered the Diamond amenity and chose the points. The lobby of this hotel is amazing.
    [​IMG]
    Room: # 640 is a one-bedroom balcony suite with about 600 square foot in size. Nice, well-appointed, spacious with lots of light and slight view of the bay bridge. The main bathroom with a whirlpool and shower and another small bathroom between the bedroom and living room that has a small TV in the mirror. The suite was clean and comfortable with two flat screen TVs one the bedroom and a larger one in the living room. Huge balcony about 200 sq ft in size with bedroom and living room access ... big enough to have a balcony party. We were on the 6th floor and daytime noise was tolerable but every night (between 12-4 am) there was a horrid loud humming noise coming from the underground directly under our balcony. This all night horrid noise is the only thing we hated about this place ... it seems that it was coming from the underground through the vents and on to the street ... our suite was located at corner of California and Drumm.
    [​IMG]
    Service: Excellent and attentive service by executive floor, housekeeping and other staff members. It is worthy to note that great service provided to us by Concierge Lex who without his assistance it would taking us much longer (and more expensive) to retrieve our towed vehicle ... a true 5-star service. Turn down service was not performed or offered. Valet parking is $50 per 24-hour period with unlimited in-out privileges. We requested a crib for our toddler son and it was delivered promptly.

Regency Club: The regency club above the 17th floor is the best I have ever seen in terms of views and food offerings. Please see the photos. Children are allowed in the lounge. Breakfast in the lounge was cont. Fruits, cereals, pastries, cheeses, juices, bagels, smoked salmon, hard boiled eggs, etc. were available in addition to hot beverages. Food offerings at happy hours (5-8 PM) were the best I have had in any lounge. They had tacos the first night, seafood Jambalaya on the second, and very delicious pork ribs on the third night, in addition to the nightly offerings of cheese, vegetables, fruits, chips & salsa, nuts, etc. Honor bar for alcohol, beer and wine but no premium brands. We did not consume at any other F&B outlet in this hotel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Location: Excellent location right at the end of the California St. Cable Car and the Embarcadero and its pier on the other side. Attached to the property a nice "food court" area with several quality ethnic food outlets (Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Pizza, etc.) The hotel is located at the edge of downtown with shopping is just a short walk away.
    [​IMG]
    Our total bill for incidentals was about $58 and we paid it with a Hyatt Check Certificates from Costco and the balance charged on a credit card. Overall, very nice and friendly property. See photo album here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157624403908594/with/4753220430/

2. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being from Monterey I tend to stay at this property on Friday nights and my wife loves seafood Friday in the Regency Club.

The lounge has massage chairs which are quite relaxing after a flight or long drive.

Suggest the balcony rooms on Sacramento Alley side of hotel for far less noise than Market Street where sirens and window washers doing the weekend middle of the night power wash can be a disturbing sound.

I find this hotel a no brainer on an award stay for less points than Grand Hyatt.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting Kalboz! I like this hotel a lot- although recently I have been staying at the newer IC near Moscone Center on Howard Street.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  4. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the lobby is impressive, and the location is super, I had the opposite reaction to our balcony room. We found our room musty and smelly. The balcony was useless as there were smokers in close proximity. If the door was open the smoke would come into the room. If the door was closed we had musty/smelly. The balcony appeared not to have been cleaned in quite some time as it had trash and cigarette butts scattered across it. A hotel can work for years to create a good reputation. Sometimes all it takes is a single bad stay to negate a lot of that effort.

Service was off from expectations. We saw somebody ask about ways to get to SFO... 50 feet from the BART entrance, who wasn't told about BART to the airport. We have since moved up to the other Hyatt for our stays.

5. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is my favorite Hyatt in SF at the moment. Last summer they gave me a suite a bit bigger than this. Full living room, flat screens, full dining table I think with 8 chairs, kitchen, bedroom with computer, separate shower, jacuzzi and of course balconies.

Kalboz, uggboy, tigerwong and 2 others like this.
  6. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stop showing off! Haha just kidding. Sounds like an awesome suite. I like that property too. [​IMG]

7. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL, I wasnt, felt lucky actually. It was nice, not sure I will get it back, but I will have a word with someone the next time I'm there to see if I can grab it. Need to see if I can track down pics and post up. (doubt it, been too long)

Kalboz, uggboy and kenbo like this.
  8. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had a complimentary suite upgrade so I imagine the feeling must be nice! I'd love to see the pics if you can find them.

9. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    i discovered on my last trip that some of the suites do not have bathtubs, only showers. (I think they said they were the most recently remodeled ones). I love a soak, so I gave up the suite, and went back to my old standby---a balcony room. I agree that the club is fab ---quite a change from the days just a few years ago when this was the 3rd of the 3 Hyatt's in town. I still miss the Park, but opt to stay here.... rather than the Grand.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the Regency. It's a frequent stop for me in SFO because it's a quick walk to our biggest client there, but I like it enough it's also my standard for vacations in SFO.

The noise you're describing is the noise from the cable for the California Street cable car line. That noise is always there, but you might lose it in the background except when it is particularly quiet out. To me it's just part of the background noise of the city and actually kind of cool, but then again I'm a really heavy sleeper so it doesn't bother when I'm trying to sleep.

For any MiPo folks who are light sleepers, this might not be the hotel in which to use a suite upgrade. The club rooms to which diamonds would be upgraded automatically are on a high floor away from the noise and have views out over the Bay and small balconies.

11. travelmystic
    Original Member

travelmystic Silver Member

Status Points:
    The location of this hotel is fantastic, being across from the waterfront and near the ferry building is hard to beat, but... the hotel was built in 1973 and some of the rooms are musty smelling, etc. We live in the Bay Area and have stayed here many times over many years and my best advice is do not book a room here if the hotel is almost sold out and you will be arriving late, cuz someone will get stuck with the funky room. They are very good about letting you select a different room if the one you are given is not to your taste and many of the rooms are stellar, views, etc. That said, if the hotel is full and there are no other rooms you are stuck or you will have to try and find another hotel at the last minute.

Kalboz, uggboy and Travelsavant like this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    More photos just to revive this great property thread! :)
    [​IMG]
    HR from the Embarcadero​
    [​IMG]
    Sunset from the Regency Club​
    [​IMG]
    Honor Bar at the Regency Club​
    [​IMG]
    Another view of the bay from the Regency Club​
    [​IMG]
    Another shot from California St.​

13. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the location of this hotel is fantastic, and the views can be great. However as a warning, be careful if you plan to stay here over the holidays in December. There is usually an ice rink in the open area just below the hotel and they play loud Christmas music all day and well into the evening, especially on weekends. If you have a room with a view of the ferry building and bay, you'll hear the music inside quite clearly, and it gets old fast. The rooms don't block out the noise very well. If you stay on the other side, you won't hear the music, but you won't get a nice view either.

Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  14. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Location is great, but I think the rooms are in need of a renovationjuvenation. The bathroom, especially, looks tired. I was initially disappointed with the lack of "fresh" Hyatt hotels in the SF area, until the most recent renovation of the Grand Hyatt.

kenbo and Kalboz like this.
  15. reachdp

reachdp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regency Club info sheet

Attached Files:

Kalboz likes this.
  16. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone here follow @HyattRegencySF on Twitter? They've been sending out very spammy tweets about Acai diets and HCG diets and stuff...either they got hacked or else a big #FAIL to their social media campaign...

Kalboz likes this.
  17. Albert
    Original Member

Albert Gold Member

Status Points:
    My twitter account was hacked recently, so I would assume it is hacking

Kalboz and TheBeerHunter like this.
  18. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it looks like the Tweets have been removed from their posting history. It was really weird there for a while...

Kalboz likes this.
  19. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also stayed at this property over the weekend. Nice hotel, but rate is very expensive. Here are my reviews:
    • Nice, elegant lobby.
    • Two check-in lines, one of which is dedicated for diamond/platinum members.
    • Staff was courteous enough. I was assigned a room on the 16th floor. The room was facing the bay, though it's at a strange angle. It has some views of the bay, the ferry plaza, and the embarcadero center. Nice huge balcony.
    • Bath is portico white ginger. Nice vanity space.
    • Smoke detector went off all night long. Calls to front desk were unanswered. When I finally went downstairs, a staff member (presumably security guy?) informed me that the FD was slammed but he would notify the engineer.
    • Engineer came about 10 minutes later. He brought a new smoke detector, a ladder, and a towel. He laid the towel on my bed so he was able to step onto the bed to remove the smoke detector.
    • That was a thumb down in my opinion. While we won't know exactly how long a battery would last, shouldn't they keep track on the dates and replace them on a regular basis?
    • Only went to the club for breakfast. Beautiful view of the bay. Lounge nazi was present, and insisted that he verifies each guest's name and room number. Didn't try the booze.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a one night stay in a suite on the 15th floor. As others have mentioned, it's not worth paying for a suite as it really is just a little larger than the regular rooms. I actually found the suite very outdated with 1970s thermostats and very little water pressure. The view was outstanding. I also thought the club lounge was just so-so. Great view, though, although the spreads (I dropped in throughout the day) were sourced more from Cisco than the Ferry Building across the street.

TRAVELSIG and Kalboz like this.
  21. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This hotel has been one of the better hotels to implement the elite check-in line, in my experience. While it's roped off and has signs clearly marking it for Plat/Diamond, some people still don't notice. The last time I was there, I completed my check-in, turned around and noticed a huge line of people behind me. There was no one in the regular line. The agent who helped me then directed everyone out of the line if they were not Plat/Diamond.

TRAVELSIG and Kalboz like this.