Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport (SFO) - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by FriendlySkies, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    This airport is a great place to stay when you have an early departure, or just want to be close to SFO. When the SFO-TPA MR was still out there, I'd fly MCI-SFO on Friday night, stay at the Hyatt, go to TPA on Saturday, return to the Hyatt at 1:30am on Sunday, and then leave at 4:00am for SFO..

Front Desk:

The hotel has a line for Platinum & Diamond members, which is useful when there are more than a few people in the normal line. Last time I checked in, a soccer convention was in town, so check in took twenty minutes.

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times, but only once as a Diamond. I had to ask for the Diamond Amenity form, but the points posted without any hassle (unlike G1)

Rooms:

As a Diamond, I was given an atrium-view King.. In the past, I had always been given an outside facing room, so I was a bit disappointed. I did get put on the Regency Floor (9), and had access to the lounge.

In September, I was given an angled room, which faced SFO and the bay. Many of the rooms have gotten new LCD TVs, but I've seen a few with the bulky CRTs.. Hopefully these will disappear over the next few months!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regency Club:

The RC is a great place to meet friends, grab a quick snack, watch planes landing at SFO, or just relax. Around 5pm, Scott brought out salad, cheese, salmon, chicken, pasta, shrimp, and a few other items. Very tasty food! I made a caesar salad, which was delicious..

As I mentioned above, the deck of the RC is great for taking photos! I spent 30 minutes watching many of the international wide-bodies.

Shuttle Service:

The Hyatt offers complimentary shuttle service to SFO. On the way to the Hyatt, there is one stop at the Marriott. In the early hours of the morning, I've found the shuttle to be very full with guests from the Marriott. To make sure you get a spot on the shuttle, try and stand as close as possible to the area that it stops. I've had some close calls, but being right outside the shuttle door has helped me to get the last spot.. Below is the schedule for the shuttle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    This property also has had some good Park and Fly packages for those of us who drive in and fly away.

3. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right. For around $125 all in, one can get a room for the night and free parking up to 10 days. This is a nice deal in addition the the GP points recieved, varies based on status and G bonuses. My last stay, I got about 2500 points.

KIXman, FriendlySkies and karung99 like this.
  4. upgrd

upgrd Active Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that parking is $20 to $25 at this property. I've always found it odd as the hotel is in the middle of nowhere and some other properties nearby don't charge for parking.

5. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is my go to property in the Bay Area these days, especially since the full hard renovation they did a couple of years ago. They always treat me well, and the RC is great for a domestic RC. I love this property and the staff here goes out of their way to treat Diamonds well.

-David

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  6. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last time I drove by, I noticed that the canvas tent-like thingies at the top of the building are gone. Has this been true for years and I am just unobservant, or is it recent?

7. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Have never seen any tents on the roof.

8. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did the AAA rate which gives two free b'fasts. The quality of the b'fast buffet was exceptionally good with attentive waitstaff to bring coffee and juice. Very nice open air seating too.

karung99 likes this.
  9. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for posting, this is excellent deal

FriendlySkies and Pegasus like this.
  10. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also like this property, I wish I could use the breakfast for Sunday brunch [​IMG] we need more avitor here.

kenbo likes this.
  11. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here for one night last week upon check-in I was informed that VIP amenities have been set up in the room. I had no idea what that meant until I entered the room there was a bottle of wine and a cheese tray on the desk. In the bathroom I found Quince and Bergamont products very nice touch. Overall another great stay at this property and definently one of my favorite HR in the US.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  12. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    +1

I've stayed at a number of Hyatt properties, both US & International, and this one has some of the best staff. From the front desk to the regency club. Marien is my favorite employee. She always remembers my name :)

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  13. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely want to frequent this property more. The staff here is consistently top notch. Everyone is friendly, accommodating and knowledgable. The breakfast and evening spreads have quite a few selections, which is always nice.

I stayed here this weekend and had another great stay. This stay was planned awhile back and I learned of the MP content building workshops so I was able to meet up with some MP/FT members. That was a great experience in itself.

I arrived around 12:30pm and immediately noticed the dedicated check-in line for Diamonds/Plats, which wasn't there during my last stay. There were absolutely no other hotel patrons around at the time so I didn't get to really take advantage of the line. [​IMG] In any case, Anna was at the Dia/Plat desk and she was great. She assigned us a room and then told us where it was in relation to the elevators and confirmed if we were ok with that. Check in went smoothly and quickly.

The evening spread in the RC Lounge was nice. It had two types of pasta dishes, a beef dish and some veggies. I met Scott that evening in the RC Lounge. He is a real cool guy. I inquired about one of the pasta dishes having peanuts due to a food allergy and he made a call down to the kitchen and confirmed all the details and relayed all the info to us. He's really easy going and has a good sense of humor.

We had a AAA breakfast rate and we went for the buffet instead of having breakfast in the lounge. The buffet was your standard breakfast buffet. The bacon seemed to be more crispy than other HR buffets I've had. Overall, it was a really good breakfast with really attentive wait staff. Our glasses of OJ were always full, which is much appreciated!

Losing the tube TVs and finally getting LCDs was a nice touch too. I'm always amazed by the level of customer service at this property. The little things they do go a long way. I will definitely return.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  14. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is my two cents

I was here last week and arrived late (11 p.m.) and caught a quick shuttle. As stated, its first stop on the SFO-Hotel route is the Marriott THEN the Hyatt. I managed to get a seat in the front of a full bus knowing full well I wanted to sprint off the bus to the check in stand due to the possibility of the number of people checking in.

I was the first one off but for some stupid reason, I decided to use the kiosk which was supposedly working but told me, "Phineas, you must see a FDC to check in" Well by then the line was long. As a diamond I noticed the diamond/plat line that was empty. I went to that and to my pleasant surprise, they held back the next person in the non-elite line (actually sent her back to the line) and checked me in.

Now I've seen these elite lines at many hotels including Hyatts where they don't even use them. this was a pleasant surprise.

I got an atrium king and did not care since I was late and leaving in five hours. Shuttle to SFO goes straight to the airport from the Hyatt. Bad news, it can be full due to all the Marriott people filling it up first. as stated, be right where it stops to ensure a place on the bus.

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  15. ord1kflyer

ord1kflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I very much agree. Diamond recognition is always top-notch and the RC is nice. I especially like the fact that they have cereal and coffee available for very early departures (I think starting at 4:30AM). A very nice touch!

16. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that because of noise from the restaurant/lobby down below? I've noticed that in the past, but I'm generally so tired I still fall asleep within a few minutes. Haven't made any special requests for a room facing out and don't anticipate I will on future stays. I could see that it might be an issue to a light sleeper.

I was up early on Sunday and popped into the Regency Club at 7 for some tea and fresh berries (strawberry, blackberry and blueberry). Only about 3 of us there at that time and I stayed about 45 mins and read the morning paper.

17. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Tom, it was nice meeting you on Saturday.

I've never had an ocean/highway facing room. I enjoy the atrium view. There's something about relaxing in the room with the sliding door open that is calming to me. The double pane doors tend to a good job of blocking out the sound at night, and even during Sunday brunch when the small jazz ensemble is playing. I suppose it could be a different experience for those on the lower floors.

18. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, the atrium rooms are much darker, even with all of the lights turned on.

kenbo likes this.
  19. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    That makes sense. With the atrium view, there's only so much light coming in through the roof, where light would be coming in directly with an outside facing room.

This brings up another observation. The blackout drapes that were in the atrium view room didn't totally black out the room. I woke up around 7, not because of the light, but there was some light passing through. It wasn't bad by any means but we have some $15 blackout drapes from Target that do a better job of blocking out direct sunlight.

20. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Honest, they were there for years. Decades even, they were one of the things damaged in the last major quake.

21. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
  22. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Those white "peaks" are a bit tent like - similar (but not as pronounced) as the roof structure at DEN. I did notice them in the past also - they're part of the Atrium roof structure to allow light in but not "too much". This property was closed due to earthquake damage for years shortly after completion in the 1989? earthquake.

23. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I stayed there the night before the SFO content boot camp, I was pretty disappointed in the speed of the 'hrsfo1' and 'hrsfo2' wireless networks. The signal quality was fine in both cases, just the internet connection sucked. However, the wifi specifically for Milepoint was quite acceptable. When I mentioned this at checkout, I was told that I could have connected to the tmobile service, had it charged to my room, and then the charge would be removed at checkout. I was a Diamond at the time.

Gtitan and MrsBobSgt like this.
  24. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coffee and cereal now available in the RC at 5:00 a.m. The full continental spread at 6:30 am on weekdays and 7 on weekends is very nice, including berries and other fruit, hard boiled eggs, nice pastries, some deli meat and cheese.

I enjoyed my first stay here this weekend. The room was very quiet, for a good sleep. The only odd thing was a knock on the door from housekeeping at 7:30 a.m. - seemed early to inquire.

25. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very photo heavy post... sorry if I should have started a new thread.

I had a three night stay at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport in Burlingame, CA last week. This report is best viewed on the web, as photos are inline. The iPhone/iPad app lumps all the pics together at the end. I'm very sorry in advance for some of the blurry shots... I'm still getting used to the shutter speed on my iPhone, it seems.

Check In

I wasn't going to be arriving until after 7pm, so I checked in online around noon. I used a suite upgrade award in advance, so I wasn't worried about securing an upgrade in person. I provided my AAdvantage number during OLCI and opted to receive AA miles. I got an email around 1pm saying my room was ready.

When I arrived at the hotel, I self parked in the garage (see "Parking" below for details) and walked around to the front of the hotel to the front desk. There were three agents with no one on line so I just went to the first one that smiled at me. I gave her my ID and credit card and said I'd already checked in online. There was no mention of my Diamond status (I'm just reporting the facts - I have no DYKWIA tendencies). She said I was in a business suite on the second floor, "our best available room." After she gave me the key and told me where the elevator bank was, I asked about the Diamond amenity. I said I wanted the 1000 pts. She apologized and said that she saw I selected AA miles at OLCI so she did not think to ask. But, she didn't ask me about any amenity, which leads me to believe that maybe if you select miles that your GP # is not shown on the res at all, therefore not indicating to the desk agent your status? But of course this doesn't reconcile with her statement about giving me the best available room, so... who knows. Anyway, she said she took care of it and that was it. Note that two days after checkout, my GP account correctly showed the stay credited to AA miles and the Diamond bonus credited to my GP account. +1!

Room

I was in Room 2112, an interior-facing business/executive suite. I knew I wouldn't use my four suite upgrade awards by the time they expired so I burned one, but for a lone business traveler, I'm not sure it was worthwhile. I thought the room was very nice and comfortable, but I really just concentrated on the desk, bed and bathroom. There was a lot of extra space I didn't use. The room had a Keurig machine, stocked with Emeril-brand regular and decaf coffee. I'm not sure if this is placed in all the rooms at this property or just the suites. The bathroom was fine, though I kind of expected it to be a bit bigger, given the suite. One of the three bulbs above the sink was out (I kept forgetting to call down before I left for the day), but even if it hadn't been -- the shower is a little too dark. I wish there was an additional light above. Also, I've gotten accustomed to those lighted mirrors mounted on an articulating arm from the wall. This bathroom had a freestanding mirror on the sink. It made it hard for me to shave, since without my glasses the main mirror was a little too far away (deep sink area), so I had to bend down to use the freestanding mirror. Minor detail. Finally, instead of a chain for security, there was a flip-out stopper... I've never seen it before. There was also Hyatt-branded Aquafresh toothpaste, replenished daily.

20111115-2244.IMG_0509.jpg 20111115-2244.IMG_0510.jpg 20111115-2245.IMG_0511.jpg 20111115-2245.IMG_0512.jpg 20111115-2245.IMG_0513.jpg 20111115-2245.IMG_0518.jpg 20111115-2247.IMG_0522.jpg 20111115-2245.IMG_0514.jpg 20111115-2258.IMG_0549.jpg

I didn't mind facing inside at all, I think the atrium is very pretty. But, the second floor is awfully close to all the goings-on in the lobby/atrium level. Especially because room 2112 is almost directly over the escalator bank -- just two doors away from the elevators. Even with the sliding doors shut, it was definitely noisy around happy hour time. Other than that, it was fine. There was even a nice breeze(!) when I opened the sliding door to host a concall from the desk at 8am. And from the desk, seeing the trees gave the illusion of it being outside.

20111115-2245.IMG_0520.jpg 20111115-2246.IMG_0521.jpg

Regency Club / Food

I visited the RC for breakfast and "evening service" every day, and for "dessert" once (last night- I didn't realize they had this prior to that!).

Breakfast options included cereal, hard boiled eggs, lots of pastries, bread/bagels, and fruit. Coffee was from a machine that handled coffee, espresso, late, cappucino, etc. I thought the "normal" brewed coffee was "tainted" by the other options of the machine -- as if there was leftover latte/etc in the innerworkings of the machine. I preferred the K-cups in the room. And I am no coffee snob. Banana nut muffin was delicious! And the cherrios were, well, cheerios :). I do wish they had lox, as other MP members have reported at this property in the past.

Evening service had salad (arugala only), some raw veggies, some grilled veggies, a cold "entree-type" option (smoked trout one night, turkey salad one night, Thai flavored beef dish one night), noodles, cheese and crackers, mixed nuts. Beer and wine were available for a fee (honor bar), and bottled water and soda was available from a fridge. There was also a "Natura" brand unit that provided filtered water (both cold and room temp) and seltzer, though it didn't have enough carbination for my taste. One night, I was too tired to go out to dinner so I just had two plates of salad (I really liked the dressing), veggies, and turkey salad. The turkey salad was dry and a little stringy.

For dessert (I only found out about this on my last night :mad:), they had lemon squares, pumpkin pie and cheesecake. I took one of each back to my room to sample. All were tasty.

20111115-2250.IMG_0536.jpg 20111115-2250.IMG_0538.jpg 20111115-2250.IMG_0541.jpg 20111115-2251.IMG_0543.jpg 20111116-1002.IMG_0556.jpg 20111116-1002.IMG_0557.jpg 20111116-1002.IMG_0558.jpg 20111118-1050.IMG_0700.jpg 20111117-2352.IMG_0695.jpg

There was no sign indicating food/drinks couldn't be taken out of the RC, and when I asked the hostess if I could take a bottled water to my room, she said, "of course, and take a plate of food as well." One morning, she provided a tray to another guest to take multiple plates of breakfast back to his room.

To be quite honest, I was not really impressed with the RC club here. In some respects, I thought that the options at the Hotel Sierra Santa Clara (my review) were better: maybe the quality/food itself was better at SFO, but there were more hot options (including made-to-order omlettes) at the Sierra.

The 9th floor also has a small fitness center for those with access to the RC (although anyone with access to 9th floor can use it, as there is no card reader for entrance. There are just a few machines, some weights, a small oven for heated towels and clean headphones (with a basket for once they become dirty). The last picture below is the view from the treadmill.

20111117-1102.IMG_0644.jpg 20111117-1103.IMG_0647.jpg 20111117-1102.IMG_0645.jpg 20111117-1103.IMG_0647.jpg

I had room service one night, and wrote a separate review of the burger.

Parking

My corporate rate includes parking, which is fantastic, as self-parking in the garage costs $20/night. There were ample spots, with convenient access to both the ground level or atrium level of the hotel. My room key opened the gate for entrance/exit after being coded by the front desk.

Departure

When I booked the hotel and found out that they had a Hertz desk, I changed my Hertz rental to end at this location instead of SFO proper. It couldn't have been easier - I just noted the spot in the parking garage and mileage and put the keys and express checkout slip in the drop box on my to the shuttle stop. The shuttle came within 5 min and had took me straight to my terminal. Much easier than driving to the SFO rental garage and taking the airtrain to the terminal, especially since I had a box to check along with my carryon and backpack.

All in all, I was very happy with the property. I'd definitely stay here again.

Horse, TheBeerHunter and kenbo like this.