Hyatt Regency Princeton - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Kaanapali, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have stayed here many times over the past couple of years. My most recent stay was during the end of December right after Christmas. During checkin at the dedicated elite checkin portion of the counter, we were upgraded to a suite (Ivy Suite, approx 700 feet or so) The suite area itself consists of a dining room size table with 6-8 chairs, a wet bar with a full refrigerator (but surprisingly few bar essentials..like wine openers!), a queen size sofa bed couch and two lazy chairs. Our room overlooked Route 1 (so in other words NOT the atrium view).

The hotel itself is 4 stories of rooms, with a lower atrium level where the restaurant and bar (yes there is a Koi Pond) are located. The pool is a relatively large size and is right by the main entrance. There is also a Comedy Club (Catch a Rising Star) onsite. Overall the ambiance was quite festive given the holiday season.

The breakfast buffet, which is free for Diamonds (there were three of us staying), is quite good. They no longer have an omlette station per se, but you can order them from the waiters.

Despite losing power one whole day (heat and most electricity until they installed a new backup generator), the Front Desk and restaurant staff went out of their way to have cold cuts and pastries available for breakfast for free (for everyone in the hotel) as well as a free buffet that evening (for everyone again).

Finally, the hotel offered us additional Points for the inconvenience caused by the storm.

2. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Stayed there last night- commuted to the Content Boot Camp in NYC while wife was attending a writers conference at the Hyatt. Nice property, could probably use an update..
    Checked in with the kiosk, issued keys, got to room, had a question, room phones not working. Had to call the switchboard via cell phone, got the answer I needed.

In the morning, the water control/flow handle on the shower appeared stripped--had to turn it 4 or 5 times to get one rotation of function. Also once the water warmed up it went hot/cold and was difficult to regulate. I reported this on checkout, and based on the bill they emailed me it appears they removed the charge for breakfast-which was a nice gesture, although I asked for nothing.

My pet peeve regarding room TV was evident here as well as many other hotels...why bother installing digital HD TV's if you're only going to have an analog feed? TV looks horrible that way....but that could be a thread by itself.

All in all it was not a bad stay, especially since it was only one night--the wait staff in the atrium cafe was very professional and attentive, and the food was good, although pricey.

Kaanapali likes this.
  3. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good point....I have brought this up with the manager. He says they hope to have HD cable feed by the end of the year. We shall see.

4. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes but all cable systems are HD now---wonder what they're waiting for...again this is a pet peeve with MANY properties, it is not exclusive to this one....

Kaanapali likes this.
  5. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did ask that question......I got a very polite but not very useful list of reasons (excuses) why they do not have it yet. I will call property on Monday and see if I can get a better answer.

6. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks but no need on my account...

7. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Np.....I am sure you are not the only one who would like to know this.....and/or who is bothered by analog on HD TVs (I can think of many people who are!) :)

8. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Followup: Contacted business person at the HR Princeton. They are in the process of changing their TV services and expect the new services to have HD content AND that this would be available/seen on their HDTVs. Expected time frame is still end of the current (2011) year.

9. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Per the person at the front desk, estimated $18 million refurbishment now expected in June of 2012 (or about 4-5 months from now)....the front desk will be moved to where the car rental desk is now, the gift shop may be moved, etc. More details as they are forthcoming :)