Hyatt Regency Paris Madeleine HOTEL REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Jenny & Curt, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed 5 nights on BWB award, August 4-8, 2010. Stayed 2 nights at PH Place Vendôme just before that, and had previously stayed 7 nights in March at PH. We love the PH -- it's a very, very special hotel we would be happy to stay in every year.
    We were not sure we could like a hotel as well, but have to say the Madeleine shone in every category -- attentive and low-key staff who were also warm and friendly; not just cool and professional. Assistant GM went out of his way to offer suggestions and check that we were having a nice stay. On my husband's birthday, he sought us out at breakfast to wish him a happy birthday, and really made the day special.He also offered detailed maps (that he drew for us) and instructions for our follow-on driving trip to Brittany and Normandy.
    Manager also told us that this is the smallest Hyatt hotel. It really does have a boutique hotel feel. Beautiful lobby and bar.
    Breakfast was fabulous. Very similar to that at the PH -- not missing anything.
    We actually liked the location of the Madeleine better than the PH. My husband, who, as a retired military officer, has reciprocal privileges at foreign officers' clubs, was thrilled to take his birthday dinner at the Cercle National Des Armées, which is about a block away. We always try to plan so that our stays in Paris coincide with the weekly validity of the Passe Navigo Decouverte, so that we have unlimited bus & Metro while there. A bus stop was right in front of the hotel, and metro stops and buses to parts far and wide were just up at the corner.
    In all, there is nothing that could have been improved upon. As Platinums, we did have an upgraded room -- the basic room (which a staff member graciously showed us) can be quite small.
    One feature we thought was extra special was the double set of double-paned windows. We had a street-view room, and with the windows open, there was a lot of noise (street noise, not offensive noise), but with the windows closed, it was absolutely silent. A very nice feature. Price tends to run around 330 Euros per night.

2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    This hotel was my first Hyatt stay, last summer, travelling with my wife. We loved the hotel and became instant converts to the brand.

For the reasons above, it's still my favourite of the few I've stayed at (St. Louis, Tokyo were the others).

3. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the review. :) Between this hotel and the PH, and taking price into consideration, which would you recommend to someone who was making their first visit to Paris? ;)

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the person have any status with Hyatt?

5. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    One friend is a Plat and another is a Diamond; both have not been to Paris before (and they are not traveling together lol)

6. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review. I never stayed at the HR before prefer the PH, but this sounds like a great hotel gonna give it a try.

7. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not try both? The Diamond will get free breakfast at either property. I think it was about 38 Euro per person for the buffet. If double the room rate is not a stopper, then Place Vendôme is certainly worth a try. It has a quiet elegance that is really something. But, as you read, Madeleine was a delight. When I stayed, in winter, the price differential was pretty big (840 Euro for PH Vendôme, 330 for Madeleine.) However, when I check the BAR for a two-night stay on a random May date this year, I get 540 Euro for Place Vendôme and 430 Euro for Madeleine. If neither of those prices intimidates, then why not split the stay, getting 2 stay credits and experiencing both properties. I don't know what experience a Platinum member would have at either property, as I was Diamond for all 3 stays (and they were all award stays.) How long a stay are your friends considering? What do they like to do and see while in a city?

Kaanapali likes this.
  8. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe one was planning a long weekend; the other (Plat) a week. Of course with all your info now I want to go too! ;) Thank you for sharing all those details....As far as sightseeing...they both are the check by number types.....what does a local think we should see in their city...and see it all :)

9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paris, though, is exactly the sort of city where a local would choose far different things than a tourist. Either might stroll the Tuileries, for example, but perhaps only a local or repeat visitor would visit the Parc des Buttes Chaumont, which is a wonderful place! A tourist would make sure to take in the Louvre but miss the (no charge!) Musée Carnavalet. But, back on topic, either hotel is well-situated for tourists. For your friend who is staying a week, if his dates are flexible you might encourage him to stay from Sunday so that his timing aligns with the validity of the Passe Navigo. He would need only zones 1 and 2 for Paris proper; the full 6 zones if he plans to visit Versailles and Fontainebleau or Disney. I always recommend that first-time travelers bring a couple of extra passport-sized photos, in case needed for transit passes and the like. http://parisbytrain.com/paris-train-metro-week-pass-navigo-decouverte/

Kaanapali likes this.
  10. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent suggestions! I am copying/pasting your comments to send to both of them. Thank you so much! I hope I can return the favor someday :)

11. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently spent three days & nights in Paris, and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Madeleine. Everyone raves about the Park Hyatt Vendome, but they had no availability for my dates. The Hyatt Regency Madeleine is nearby and also gets good reviews.

Reception

image014.jpg
    I arrived early at reception. My room was not yet ready, but they took my mobile number and offered to call me when it was ready -- a convenience I wish more hotels would offer. In the meantime, they offered me the use of the Spa for a shower.

Spa

The Spa delivered a very good impression of what was to come. There is a small locker room with individual lockers with keys, and each has a hangar inside. The shower room was nicely appointed, with a robe, body scrubber, and plenty of fresh towels.

There is a small area with 2 lounge chairs that I chose to avail myself of after a very refreshing shower. After a few minutes, I received a call that my room was ready, so I dressed and went back up to Reception.

Reception

Check-in was quick and painless. The agent said I was upgraded to a "Deluxe Room" with a queen bed and gave me a welcome letter to the hotel. The letter described the breakfast hours (6:30-10:30am during the week and until 2pm(!) during the weekend) and discussed the hotel restaurants and the fitness center.

Room

image001.jpg
    Unfortunately, this is where the disappointment starts. The agent claimed I was upgraded to a "Deluxe Room." On the Web site, deluxe rooms have a separate tub and shower, and I was looking forward to that. My room had a combined tub/shower. :-(

image003.jpg
    The room was quite small, with only 1 small window to the outside. Needless to say, the room was very quiet. The air conditioning worked well -- perhaps too well, because I found it too cold and kept having to turn it on and off to regulate the room temperature to my liking. (The temperature dial seemed to do nothing.)

image004.jpg
    The lack of a sofa or other shared seating made conversation awkward. I could not get the corded wired internet to work; but the wireless internet worked fine.

image010.jpg
    My room had an interior courtyard view, but I felt the other rooms were far enough away to not feel cramped by that.

image006.jpg
    The bathroom, though large, had a pedestal sink. There is a glass shelf above the sink that is already filled with hotel-provided items. As a result, even though the bathroom is large, it is a lot of empty space, and there are few places to put personal items. In fact, if they rearranged things, I am certain they could fit in a separate shower stall!

image008.jpg
    Also, there is no bidet or equivalent, if you're into such things.

image002.jpg
    The bed contained the usual European-style duvet with no sheets. I found the bed so comfortable, I thought about how I could turn my bed at home into this one.

Welcome Amenity

image016.jpg
    A welcome amenity was delivered later in the afternoon on my arrival day. It was a half-bottle of excellent Chateau de Lamarque wine. I was slightly disappointed not to receive any other amenity such as fruit or chocolates.

Breakfast

Breakfast usually gets high marks at this hotel, but it was, for me, a tremendous disappointment. But then, buffets with only cold items always disappoint me. I prefer hot items for breakfast, and breads, cheeses, and cold cuts just aren't satisfying to me.

There was a single hot item on the buffet: scrambled eggs that were so runny, they approached the consistency of yogurt.

image013.jpg
    Fortunately I could order a hot item in addition. The first day, I ordered french toast. It was the most, er, "liquid" french toast I've ever had (as though the egg mixture permeated the bread), but it did taste good.

image015.jpg
    The second day I asked for a ham and cheese omelette with a side of bacon and sausage. I received a cheese omelette with a side of ham and bacon, and no sausage. (I'll chalk this up to a language issue.) The omelette was extremely runny. Don't the French ever cook their eggs all the way through?

image018.jpg
    My final day I asked for waffles. They tasted good but they were extremely dry.

As a Diamond member, breakfast was included. At checkout, only the tips remained on my bill, so at least the mediocre breakfasts didn't cost me the 42 Euro they were asking for.

Service

I found the service to be uneven. The room was not refreshed consistently each day. Sometimes dirty glasses were left laying around. Two bottles of water were provided at turndown service each day. Requests for ice were fulfilled promptly (although I still wish I could get it myself). Not all the housekeeping staff speaks English. (Thank goodness I can manage to speak some French.)

Summary

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt Regency Madeleine. I was disappointed that the room wasn't everything that I hoped for, but it was still quite comfortable. I didn't like the breakfasts, but that is very much a personal preference. The location was great -- there is a lot within walking distance, and the Metro is just around the corner. Maybe it was Paris, maybe it was the HR Paris Madeleine, but the best testament I can make is that I didn't want to leave the hotel to head home.

Attached Files:

12. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this hotel worth spending 22k points a night on? We wanted to stay at PH but there's no availability for our nights :(

Edit: I have no status with Hyatt

13. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pick different nights! I can understand staying at the HR Madeline due to a significant price differential, but at the same number of points - well, to me it's no contest. But I fall into the category who considers the PH Paris Vendome to be my favorite hotel in the world!

With no status and a rewards stay, I think I would have had to pass on the lovely PH breakfast. $100+ is too rich for my blood for breakfast. But at the PH, there are plenty of places within two blocks for you to catch a morning bite - exactly what we did numerous times in our pre-Hyatt, SPG days, when we stayed at the Prince des Galles and ate coissants and drank coffee at a sidewalk cafe.

Toula and rharrigill like this.
  14. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish I could, but our itinerary is pretty much locked down.

It would require a whole heck of a lot of changes, but I plan to look at it tonight to see if there's some way I can find it feasible.