Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport (MCO) - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by todorovic, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. todorovic
    Original Member

todorovic Active Member

Status Points:
    Slowly working on getting the MilePoint reviews of Hyatt properties on the board ....

We have visited the HR MCO many times and this is where we typically spend the night after arriving into MCO and just before leaving the town. The hotel is in the terminal and can't be missed as it is above the main lobby (where all Disney and other stores are). Access to the hotel is by the elevator and as soon as you step out of it you face the check-in desk.

The hotel is huge and if you do get a choice of the room I would suggest opting for the outside rooms that face the runways, both for the views and the privacy. The interior of the rooms facing the main terminal can be seen by the passengers, especially on the lower floors.The last several times we were there we were given one of the extremely large corner rooms that could easily be Jr. suites but are not furnished that way. The downside for me is that the TV is so far away from bed that I almost feel like needing binoculars to watch it (a slight exaggeration of course). The toiletries are standard issue Portico variety.

There are several dining options at the hotel. Some are located at the lobby level (to the left facing the check-in desk) but your best bet is the Hemispheres restaurant on the top floor. The food is good and priced right for an airport hotel.

As far as the access to the main Orlando attractions goes, I would not recommend staying here as it takes almost an hour to get to Disney or Universal studios. For that check out the HR Grand Cypress. However, it is a perfect gateway stop.

flyingdawg likes this.
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting ^

I stay at the HR MCO, whenever I take the last departure from ORD/IAD to MCO. Very nice to have a bed waiting for me :)

As far as Hemispheres, I highly recommend them for breakfast. I got the Egg's Benedict, and thought that it was one of the best hotel meals I have ever had.

flyingdawg likes this.
  3. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since this hotel does not have a club, breakfast is served in the restaurant...which overlooks the runways, and is bright and sunny in the AM. I usually order from the menu, which is delivered quickly, cooked well, and as ordered. On several occassions I have been in a hurry...and was looking for something "to go". Wait staff offered to have a smoothie made...which was great. (both in taste and in kindness!)

TIP: if you are staying here at the beginning of your vacation...pick your car up the day after arrival, as the hotel is in the airport, you must pay to park. If you are staying at the end of your vacation, refill your rental away from the airport...altho there are stations close by, many have been noted for price gouging...charging as much as $2 more per gallon than elsewhere in Orlando.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't say enough about the customer service here. They have always been very accommodating.

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Living about 2 hours from MCO, this Hyatt is extraordinarily convenient for early morning departures and late evening arrivals, outside limo service times.

Somehow I have always ended up with a 9th floor room (ok, once time on 7), with various views (love all of them).

Have never had a meal up in the Hemisphere but once had an average dinner at McCoy's. I generally prefer the short walk to the three airport restaurants (Fox Sports Bar, Macaroni Grill, or Chili's Too) both for interesting people watching and just as good food at significantly lower prices. The same free wifi system serves them as well as the Hyatt, too.

flyingdawg likes this.
  6. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at this hotel a few times and have always been very happy with the service and the rooms. I would recommend it to anyone for a first or last night stay in MCO.

7. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    McCoy's Restaurant at the Hyatt Orlando Airport has re-opened after an extensive remodel.

ACMM likes this.
  8. Over the Atlantic

Over the Atlantic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I echo everyone's favorable impressions of the property, including a nice-quality GP Diamond breakfast buffet at Hemisphere. Here's a view from an interior room overlooking the terminal entrance:

[​IMG]

9. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, Over the Atlantic ! Nice picture. I take it this photo was taken somewhere around 2am judging from the one person I see passing through?

uggboy, ACMM and Over the Atlantic like this.
  10. Over the Atlantic

Over the Atlantic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the welcome. Yes, it was around 2 a.m.....prime time for a night owl!

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  11. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had lunch there last week and really enjoyed it. A lot of the menu seems to be organic or from locally sourced farms. I had the sandwich of the day which was steak fajita that came with some of the best guacamole I've had in a long time, also includes a little side salad all for $9.99. They also give airport employees 20% off instead of the normal 10% off at the other restaurants in MCO.

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  12. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a great stay at the HR last Thursday. Pics coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

uggboy and Horse like this.
  13. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't get any more convenient than this hotel for a late arrival/early departure. The valet had no issues with us leaving our rental car by the front door while we went in to check in and drop off our bags. Sure enough, the rental car shuttle dropped us back at the hotel entrance. Received a corner room that was basically a Jr. Suite. It really felt like a waste since we were only at the hotel for about 10 hours. Breakfast at hemispheres was good and at check in they suggested that we could use Diamond-Breakfast for room service in lieu of the buffet because of the mix of early flights and nightmarish security at MCO. The only complaint (and a trivial one) is that there isn't WiFi for the hotel, only the Airport WiFi.

uggboy likes this.
  14. AttorneyVin

AttorneyVin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stay here several times a year, and this is truly one of my favorite airport properties. I have posted several VERY lengthy reviews of it on TripAdvisor using this same user-name if anyone else is interested. Management has recently changed, but the new General Manager is as amazing as the old one and truly recognizes the loyalty of Diamond Members.

uggboy likes this.
  15. AttorneyVin

AttorneyVin Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is a beautiful shot - did you get one of the nice Interior Corner Suites?

I agree that Hemispheres features a very nice quality breakfast!!

uggboy likes this.