Hyatt Regency Orange County

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Kalboz, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booked under AAA rate for less than $100 and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Orange County late last year for one night (Sat into Sunday) and got a late checkout of 4 PM. Was asked about the Diamond amenity and I chose the 1000 HGP points. A bit disappointed though with the upgrade as we burnt one of our annual Diamond upgrades to get room # 859 which is similar to a Hyatt Place room and not a real suite. I've had about 20 stays at this property in the past 2 years and I've had better upgrades before becoming a Diamond. But because it was a one night stay, I let it go. We requested a crib for our toddler son and we got one.
    [​IMG]
    Used restaurant.com discount vouchers at both restaurants: Saturday night dinner at TusCa and Sunday late lunch at the OC Brewhouse. The lunch at the OC Brewhouse was great as we had chicken quesadilla, triple cheese burger and onion rings with dipping sauce ... delicious food especially the quesadilla. The dinner food the night before at TusCA was horrid and I wouldn’t recommend it. Buffet breakfast at TusCA was great, however, with egg station cooked to order, fruits, cereals, breads & pastries, jams, yogurt, meats, etc.
    [​IMG]
    Took the Hyatt shuttle twice to downtown Disney and it was great fun. No lounge but comped breakfast. Self parking is $15 with in/out privileges.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Used two Costco check certificates and paid the balance with AMEX. Opted for miles to get a hit on US Airways' Grand Slam 2010, and the miles eventually posted. The remolding did this property some justice as the Disneyland area is finally getting its own and improved Hyatt property.
    [​IMG]
    For additional photos, see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157623143640530/

uggboy and bbbb like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and mommypoints like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like no one stays at this great property ... this was probably my 15th stay here and was just great ;)

In my account, I had a free night at any Category 1-4 property from the Chase affiliated Hyatt Visa that was expiring last month. Hyatt was generous enough to give me a one month extension on this free night. No plans to go anywhere, so booked and stayed at this property for one night (Sunday night) over the MLK holiday. Arrived in the afternoon with hardly any luggage as we live about 20-minutes from this hotel. Used valet parking ($24 per day with in/out privileges) and it was convenient. We were welcomed into this specious beautiful lobby which still looks new, sparkling clean, and well decorated with plenty seating and two restaurants, TusCA and OC Brewhouse. Very trendy music was also playing in the lobby - not overbearing, just nice. The front desk clerk welcomed me as a diamond member and immediately upgraded us to an available Kids Suite on the 8th floor facing Disneyland for the nightly firework show. The FD clerk (Roselyn) was professional, friendly, and courteous. Without asking, she explained our amenities, breakfast, and granted us a late checkout time of 4 PM. She offered us a choice of food/beverage Diamond welcome gift and I chose the 1000 HGP instead.

Our room (# 865) located at the North Tower was a corner suite with one side facing Disneyland and consisted of two separate rooms with a bathroom between the two. The kids were thrilled to have bunk beds in their room and had a little excitement shouting celebration! Room was clean and tidy and provided two TV, one for each room. Bed was comfortable and we had a very good night sleep but I am not used to these soft pillows. But because it was a one night stay, I did not bother with requesting a firm one. Bathroom was on the small size and had a shower above tub, but nevertheless very clean.

Breakfast buffet at TusCA was great with egg station cooked to order, and ample selection of fruits, cereals, breads & pastries, jams, yogurt, meats, etc. Short order cook (Armando?) cooked us some of the best omelette we ever had at a hotel property. Restaurant wait staff service was also excellent. We did not partake food at any other venue here. The bill came out to about $78 and I rounded off to a total of $85 including tip.

After dinner around 9:00 to 9:30 PM, we watched the Disneyland firework show from our beds - this was an awesome experience and great memory for the kids. This property has 2 pools, tennis and basketball courts, game room, giant chess set, mini-mart, and a Starbuck coffee store. Although no lounge at this property, they won't provide you with complimentary drinking water. However, ice and soda machine conveniently located on our floor by the elevator where you can get the drinking water for $2 per bottle (cheaper than the $3 for the same water inside the room). Disneyland counter selling tickets at the hotel lobby so you don't have stand in line at the park for your admittance. They also have a regularly scheduled RT Hyatt shuttle bus to Disneyland for $5/adults & $2/kids per day). Location is very convenient to Disneyland and other Orange County attractions and not too far from the SNA airport. Plenty of dining options in the area and a Target store is just across the street where we got our drinking water from.

The service was excellent. As soon as we arrived in our room, housekeeping rushed us extra toiletries and towels enough for 4 people. At night, the bathroom flooded and engineering showed up immediately after I called for repairs. Housekeeping followed promptly and cleaned up the bathroom. In addition to the checking experience, check out was also professional, friendly, and efficient. The final bill came out to a big fat zero. Thank you for not nickle & dime-ing us, a truly 5-star trait!

Great base to visit Disneyland and other Southern California attractions. For more photos of our stay, please visit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157623143640530/

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We just had one of our best stays ever ... really!
    [​IMG]
    We booked 3 nights and were upgraded at check-in by Gabby to a family suite that contains two rooms - one with bunk beds for kids. Chose the points for Diamond gift, but also got a personalized autographed photo with Disney characters. Manager Keyonna was always in the lobby welcoming travelers and treating their children to cookies and cold beverages. Manager Jordan was also there (even on Sunday - Father's Day!!!) assisting guests. After 2 nights, we requested further upgrade and, to our delight, were upgraded further to the Presidential Suite. WOW WOW WOW!!! This suite is amazing with everything you need: Huge TV in the living area with surround sound, bistro-styled dining area, whirlpool in the master bedroom, 23-inch (or bigger) desktop Apple computer terminal with printer, stereo system. Full kitchen with Nespresso machine, fancy coffee machine, wine fridge in addition to a regular fridge, microwave oven, plates & utensils, and coffee supplies, and 4 beers in the fridge that we did not touch!
    [​IMG]
    The breakfast is amazing as usual with egg-station, full buffet, and awesome service by Mario, Laila, and others. Two polls, one at either side of the facility and daily programs with various activities for the kids. Disneyland is walking distance but there is also a shuttle bus from the hotel to the park. This property is really amazing and the way they treat their elites shows! Really amazing treatment and genuine care since day one with NO nickle & diming as found in other properties. Even the valet attendants who technically don't work for Hyatt were super hospitable.
    [​IMG]
    This property has become our favorite Hyatt (an easy decision) and, upgrades or not, we are definitely going back. For more photos, check out this album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/albums/72157623143640530
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Wow. Great suite. We loved the hotel (had the bunk bed room you stayed in previously). Great value.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sunday nights at TusCa, kids eat free with paying adults - tried the fish and chips last week and it was good.

[​IMG]

uggboy likes this.