Hyatt Regency O'Hare (ORD)

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by JFKSFOLAX_friend, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JFKSFOLAX_friend

JFKSFOLAX_friend Active Member

Status Points:
    I hope there isn't an existing review but I didn't see one when I reviewed the sticky. This isn't even a proper review...more a warning to guests to cross-check their folio with their credit card statement.

Stayed at the property two weeks ago using GP points. A mysterious charge appeared on my Mastercard bill a few days later. I contacted the hotel and just heard back from them.

There were two charges on my bill. The first should have been billed to Gold Passport. I was on a GP points stay and the hotel said that the charge should have gone to GP and never appeared on my folio. The second charge was for internet...even though I am a Diamond GP member. So, both charges were completely wrong even though they appeared on my Mastercard statement. [​IMG]

When I checked in I verified my email address. There really is NO excuse whatsoever for the hotel to issue charges after a guest checks out without emailing a revised bill. None.

In addition to not having the ability to review (possibly incorrect) charges, many of this hotel's guests are business travelers (it is an airport hotel, after all) and would need a copy of the updated folio anyway for expense reports.

It's baffling why a property would do this (unless they are hoping a certain percentage of guests don't review their credit card statements carefully).

Great way to leave a sour taste in my mouth after an otherwise fine stay. [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  2. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry you experienced that - typically, the GP line will clear these issues up pretty swiftly.

I've stayed at the Hyatt ORD multiple times, nice property and decent views as well as a tasty breakfast for Diamonds. The eateries, unfortunately, are hideously expensive.

uggboy likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So how much will GP pay for your room? ;)

uggboy likes this.
  4. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here last year. I thought it was a great property with a good RC.

uggboy likes this.
  5. rdrushal
    Original Member

rdrushal Active Member

Status Points:
    I found a great deal for Parking here on a long international trip that I was taking. Between that and the ability to use a FFN on my stay I was very pleased with the location. Only downside was the RC was a pretty good haul from the tower that I was staying in.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt Recency O'Hare Review - Stay 30/03 to 03/04

Arrived at about 14:00 (after the taxi driver got lost), and was recognised by the staff, and checked in. Even as a mere Gold (after being downgraded from Plat), I was given the room of my choice, with a view of Chicago in the main block (as the executive wing is a 10 mile hike back and forth - especially when you travel with the idiot amount of luggage).

Going to the room on the 9th Floor, City View it was pleasant enough, but there were a few little changes...
    1) The "Hyatt" branded pens have gone. I know it's a little thing, but generic black pens don't make good take-away gifts
    2) The Internet Provider has changed from T-Mobile to PSAV (and this later is a major source of trouble)
    3) The housekeeping team were only refershing bathroom supplies once every two days.

Housekeeping were efficient, with rooms tidied and put back in a good condition each day. The bed itself was heavenly as usual.

Now, the internet service (payable as a two-tier service, for either $9.95+Tax or $14.95+Tax - GP Diamond/Plat get the basic level FOC) was droppy as heck with the WiFi giving out once an hour - Not great particularly.

Then on Friday night at 6pm, the whole service went bang for 4-6 hour. Very Inconvenient. During the remainder of the weekend period, the service was varying from droppy to completely unstable and unusable (with people doing WiFi dances to get signal).

Eventually, the Internet service straightened out on Sunday night - whilst still droppy, it was useable - which was an improvement.

I dined at the Red Bar on the Sunday evening - food was delivered promptly and as usual - tasted excellent. Pizza, Wings and a drink set me back about $30.

Check out was quick, with the 3 days of internet service failing not charged to the account.

Overall.

An "Ok" stay. Whilst the conference staff and house staff did well, I can't help feeling corners are starting to be cut in places and it shows in little places (like bathroom toiletries and pens). The internet issue was quite frankly unacceptable (and when you're sat in a booth all weekend, it provides entertainment as well as access to payment engines).

Would I go back?

Probably - the last thing you want to do after a long event is to spend more time crawling to other hotels which can be miles away.

uggboy and sobore like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like this property but dislike paying for parking so usually stay that Hyatt Rosemont.

uggboy and RichardInSF like this.
  8. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one of those Hyatts build in the atrium period of the 60s and 70s. It's an OK place, as is Rosemont, but not overwhelmingly memorable in any way. I think both are fine for airport hotels but if you don't have a car, at least this hotel is walking distance to the El.

I am sorry about the post-checkout charges encountered by the OP, but these charges are the bane of the entire hotel industry, not just this particular hotel. They are annoying, and any hotel who adds them usually loses if they are contested -- but you do have to contest them.

Kalboz and sobore like this.
  9. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well top marks to Hyatt Regency O'Hare today.

Yesterday, I made a point of filling in the post stay survey (as I always tend to do when a survey pops through my inbox).

Today, I got a revised invoice and an apology, with the internet charge removed.

Top marks.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  10. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would disagree, the restaurants are not terriably out of line for a nice hotel like the Hyatt/Marriott/Hilton. Keep in mind both restaurants are on restaurant.com which makes them VERY affordable!

Regarding OP, I have never had a hotel send me a revised statement when they try to stick me with misc charges. Not sure why you would have expected one.

Hyatt ORD offers two internet tiers, one is free for Diamond and one there is a charge.

Anyway, very easy to clear up, just give the hotel a call and ask for accounting. They will have the charges removed no questions asked.

Kalboz, uggboy and sobore like this.
  11. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a very nice property, especially as an airport hotel. My first stay here was a couple of years ago when I took a VDB on an oversold UA flight. I was a Diamond at the time, but was assigned a room in the main tower in one of the O-shaped part of the building. The room itself was pretty tiny despite the corner location. The bathroom only has a shower and I was barely able to move my arm in it, but overall was an okay room. It was recently renovated also.

The second and third time I stayed there, I was assigned rooms in the executive tower. Both were "Plaza Suite" which is essentially a junior suite with a small living area and a bed separated by a see-through wall.

For the price I paid, I think this is a valuable property, and if I lived in Chicago, I would totally be a mattress-run regular at this property.

Edited-to-add: The lobby/atrium reminds me of HR San Francisco's atrium.

Kalboz, uggboy, sobore and 1 other person like this.
  12. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sometimes it helps to park at the Rosemont and take the free shuttle to the HR O'Hare.

uggboy likes this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    nice tip,thanks !

uggboy likes this.
  14. JFKSFOLAX_friend

JFKSFOLAX_friend Active Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the ORD property realizes it loses business due to its parking charges? I wonder if the parking charges cover that lost business?

15. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    All of the hotels in that area that are within walking distance to the convention center charge for parking.

16. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    These two hotels no longer share the same shuttle. Hyatt Rosemont is no longer owned by Hyatt.

17. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here last year. I came in on a early flight and had all day before my flight to DEL. Was given a room in a different tower, no upgrade as a Diamond. The lounge was decent. Lobby always seemed to have lots of people coming and going.

18. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    That other tower is an executive wing, the rooms are bigger. That was your upgrade. Maybe you meant to say you did not get a suite.

19. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    For clarification, the Hyatt Rosemont is still operates as a Hyatt property.

20. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Diamonds seem to get free parking here now, they validated for me for a 2day stay the last time I was here in Oct. and nothing showed up on the final bill.

21. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh excellent ! I am hoping that free parking becomes a Diamond benefit at all Hyatt properties.

22. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    just heard a "newstory" on a news radio station here in Chicago, they claimed the Hyatt Regency ORD now is offering a 'blizzard' rate of $65 a night anytime there is more than 3" of snow in Chicago. The rate includes free parking (nice touch)

I couldn't find the rate online.

bea61 likes this.
  23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a good experience here during SMD3 which was a test of their customer service and ability to handle elites. Perhaps the biggest negative IMO is that the walk to the CTA station involves going under a highway overpass where I would not feel comfortable after dark or at a strange hour.

24. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple years ago, the rate code loaded into the system was "BLIZZ", IIRC. I broke off some sub-$50 nights here during what I remember to have been a FFN accrual spree. Was pretty awesome as a diamond when the RC was closed. Got to go in there for non-alcoholic beverages, a food/beverage comp, the diamond amenity, closed RC bonus, etc.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  25. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is the rate wouldn't be bookable online. the CTA walk doesn't seem bad to me, there isn't anything that bad in the area. I would have considered a MR possibly had I known this.