Hyatt Regency Montreal - REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by peteropny, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I had a three night stay at this property 2 weeks ago and since there is no reviews posted for this property, I thought that I'd post some thoughts.

Location: very good - right across the street from the Place Des Artes which has a subway station in it. It's also about 2 blocks from the express bus stop (747) from / to the airport. The property is part of a shopping center complex. There has been (apparently at least for over 1 year) extensive street reconstruction so in / out of the hotel can be a bit awkward right now while the construction is ongoing.

Building: a bit awkward, the street level entrance for pedestrians as well as auto traffic requires using an elevator up to the hotel lobby (on the 6th level of the property). Exiting the elevator at the hotel lobby level, one is faced with 3 steps down (or a curved slope) down to the main level of that level. Not a big deal but adds to the time to enter and exit the hotel. The hotel lobby overlooks the pool level (which is apparently level 5 of the building but can only be reached by the guest room elevators.

Public Spaces: The public spaces of the hotel have been very recently renovated in the starkly modern way (think W Hotels).

Regency Club: The Regency Club space for this property is located on the lobby level back around the elevator bank for the guest rooms and near the other set of elevators which I believe goes to the conference rooms / banquet facilities. Access to the RC is controlled by the proximity card sensor (your room card would be programmed to include access as appropriate). I'm not sure if the front desk clerk was just being generous or if its a property policy but a friend that was staying at the property on Sat night (who is Platinum level with Hyatt) was given access via his room key to the RC. RC offerings for breakfast is typical (juice, coffee, cereal, pastries); however, the evening offering is probably one of the best in North America (including the Hawaii properties) since each evening they have at least 3 different hot appetizers and one evening they had shrimp cocktail (however, a friend who was also staying there said it wasn't fresh due to the the platter being set out not including ice). Staff in the RC was extremely variable, some very professional, some easily flustered and some totally new to the job. It should be noted that the RC was also recently renovated also in a modern style but less "hip" than the rest of the lobby (in the room there was a leftover card stating that the RC was temporarily located on the 11th level of the guest rooms).

Rooms: Reaching the guest room level, you can see that there is a big style disconnect with the lobby - not sure if they are planning on a relatively extensive renovation or not. The guest rooms are fairly small and typical of "run of the mill" Hyatt Regencys in North America. Rooms are in decent shape but could certainly use an update (I couldn't tell if they had done that recently or not since the carpeting appeared pretty new but the furniture isn't). Bathrooms are extremely small (even compared with typical Hyatt Regencys. I had used one of my Diamond Confirmed Suite Upgrades and was assigned an "Executive Suite" which is basically two rooms with one setup as a parlor. Rooms are connecting and the parlor can be connected either to a king bedded or double bedded room (I could only be confirmed into a double bedded one due to occupancy). We were in 606 / 604 where 606 was the double bedded room and 604 was the parlor. Another friend was in 804 / 802 where 804 was also the parlor but 802 on the other side was a king bedded room. A room renovation could improve the image of the rooms but won't do much for the size especially the bathroom (since renovations of bathrooms that involve moving fixtures and expanding the size is very expensive and virtually never done).

Service: Good - even though they were very overwhelmed at times - ie the front desk with checkouts on Sun between 11 & 12. But they were very professional and knew exactly what to do - on Sun night, not knowing what it could be the next morning at checkout I went to give them one of my Check Certs - they knew exactly what to do (and gave me $190 CDN credit for a $200 USD cert which is very reasonable). Since I had a lot of CDN cash left, at checkout I paid $100 CDN of it with cash - now I'm a bit confused why the remaining amount was put through to my credit card that I booked with not the one that I presented at check-in - not a big deal for me though.

Summary: A decent property with great location, mediocre rooms, very good RC for domestic standards. Can be a great deal depending on prevailing rates at time of stay.

Please feel free to post any questions or comments that you may have - (I'm not very good at writing reviews).

uggboy likes this.
  2. bigguyinpasadena
    Original Member

bigguyinpasadena Active Member

Status Points:
    I am still having issues resolving billing issues from a stay at this property. I also paid cash on my bill-adter having to argue over erronious incidental charges. It looks like I am going to have to get the credit card company involved-same thing happened last year :(

Oh-and having THREE seafood app's out without refrigeration-inexcusable.A letter has been sent!

uggboy likes this.
  3. Bradley
    Original Member

Bradley Silver Member

Status Points:
    Peteropny, did your suite have 1 bath or 2 full baths? If 2, that would be extra incentive to use a confirmed upgrade!

uggboy likes this.
  4. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    2 Full baths since it's basically a parlor suite - with one of the rooms setup as a living room.

uggboy likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I recently stayed at this Hyatt property and wrote a review of it in my blog, so I figured I'd copy and paste it here for all. I wasn't blogging at the time and didn't intend to write a review, so the pictures are limited. There's a picture limit for the post, so I only added 5. If you want to see more pictures you can see a few more on the blog review (LINK) or the full set on my Flickr (LINK).

For my trip to Montreal in February, I decided to stay at the Hyatt Regency property on Rue Jeanne-Mance in the downtown core of the city. My primary reasons for selecting this hotel were:
    1. While researching things to do in Montreal, I learned that the city was holding its annual “Montreal en Lumiere” festival and the Hyatt Regency happened to be located adjacent to some of the activities.
    2. I was recently given elite status with the Hyatt hotel chain at an event I attended and I wanted to give the service and perks a test drive.
    Here are some of my thoughts on the property……

Location: From Montreal’s Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport, I hopped into a cab and was able to get to the front door of the Hyatt Regency in less than 15 minutes for a fixed price of $38 CAD. The alternative would have been to take the much cheaper 747 Airport Express bus, but with only the weekend to explore the city I wanted to get down to business right away. Sadly, from what I could gather, there is no direct train access from the airport into the city.

The hotel property is at an ideal location – only a few blocks of walking takes you right into the historic Vieux Montreal neighborhood. The hotel itself is attached to the Desjardins Complex, which seemed to be an odd conglomeration of a shopping mall, food court, train station, and underground pedway. This meant that in the frigid Canadian winter, I was able to leave my hotel room without a coat or snow boots and grab some dinner or pick up a snack to take back to my room. Through the Desjardins pedway or by walking out of the Hyatt Regency’s front door you could access Montreal’s subway system at the Place de Arts station located directly across the street.
    The only hassle is that the hotel lobby is located on the 6th floor of the building, so entering the hotel from the street level (as I did multiple times when attending Montreal en Lumiere festivities) requires waiting for an elevator, walking through the lobby, and then taking another elevator to your room.

Room: The room was average sided for a North American hotel property. I was allocated a room on a high floor overlooking Rue Sainte-Catherine. The standard furniture was all present – a large wardrobe with dresser drawers, a TV on a cabinet that contained a fridge, a desk, two double beds, and a lounge chair. The furniture was modern enough, though nothing that really pops out and makes a statement. The lobby of the hotel appears recently renovated and very modern, so when you open the door to your room there’s a bit of a let down when you realize the “revisioning” didn’t extend above the lobby. The view overlooked some of the city center, the Montreal en Lumiere festival grounds, and included Mont Royal in the distance.

6984362344_781741b413_o.jpg
    View from my hotel room.

Wired internet was offered for a fee, and a coffee machine was available that featured regular, decaf, and Tazo brand teas.

6984602736_c006117eca_o.jpg
    View of the room.

Despite being quite content at first with the quality of the room, a closer inspection revealed that the room was not nearly as clean as one would like to see. While unpacking my clothes my eyes were drawn to a goopy red stain located on some of the bedding. I took a closer look at the substance and it appeared to be some type of jam or jelly. I’m not much of a complainer when it comes to hotel rooms (I once saw a mouse in my room at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali, Hawaii and still had to work up the nerve to request a room change!), so I ended up giving the 2nd bed a thorough check before deciding I’d be safe sleeping there and simply left the 1st bed empty.

6984606280_5e15c04c80_o.jpg
    Jam/jelly stain.
    After unpacking I went to set up my toiletries in the bathroom where I discovered that more remnants of the previous tenant had been left behind by the housekeeping staff. The faucet had a distinct white, powdery substance coating its surface that upon further inspection appeared to be mouthwash or toothpaste residue. Additionally, there was hair caked onto the side of the sink. Again, not being a complainer, I used one of the hand towels to turn on the hot water and used some soap and disinfectant I had with me to sanitize the area.
    7130692247_23923a3024_o.jpg
    Stained faucet.
    Despite the rocky start, housekeeping did a good job of maintaining the cleanliness of my room for the remainder of my stay. It’s the first impression that counts though, and I couldn’t shake the feeling that this Hyatt Regency property was a bit dirty.

Service: The majority of the staff I encountered throughout my stay were efficient and moderately friendly, though no one really seemed enthused by their job or the opportunity to make me feel welcomed.
    The check-in agent was able to find me a room immediately, though she rejected my request to honor any of the Hyatt Platinum benefits that my newly gifted status promised. The rationale provided for the denial was that I had not purchased my stay directly from Hyatt (I had used Expedia). My understanding of the Hyatt program was that I would not receive credit for the stay in terms of elite night/stay credits, but the status benefits would still be provided.

While many of the benefits aren’t really important to me, the free internet access was something I was looking forward to utilizing. Upon check-out at the end of my stay, I raised the issue of free internet access again. The check-out agent requested my Hyatt Platinum card and after typing away at her computer for several minutes handed it back to me and said she was going to make an exception for me this time, but in the future the benefit was not something I was entitled to for purchases that were not made through Hyatt. This was contrary to my understanding of the program, but perhaps I have some research to left to do.

6984601462_1350d3845f_o.jpg
    Bathroom.

I did not interact with any of the staff in the restaurant or bar due to my previously mentioned issues with cleanliness in the hotel.

Overall: The Hyatt Regency struck me as a nice property with indifferent staff. The location is fantastic, the quality of the room is solid, yet the housekeeping and customer service staff failed to impress me. With a little more focus on doing a good job (i.e. thorough cleaning of rooms and a fuller understanding of Hyatt’s elite program), I’d be much more inclined to stay at this property again. For my next stay in Montreal, I think I’ll try Starwood’s Le Meridien instead.