Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel & Spa on Del Monte Golf Course

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Kalboz, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We booked a one night stay at this hotel arriving on Friday, June 25, 2010, and departing the next day. I was not recognized as a Diamond HGP member at check-in, was not offered the Diamond amenity or the lounge benefits. It took two calls and another visit to the FD to get things straightened out. Checked-in at about 5 PM and checkout at about noonthe next day. One word to describe this property: CHAOS! Chaos at the FD, chaos in the parking lot and chaos at the regency club. Party atmosphere and loud music on Friday night.

Reception & FD: Arrived as indicated above late Friday afternoon. The small lobby between buildings 5 and 6 was packed with drinking and drunk happy hour guests and locals. FD agent (not high school age kid) although polite didn't seem to recognize Diamond status. However, I asked for and got an upgrade to "a Suite".

Room: # 628 was a one-bedroom suite located on the 2nd floor of building 6 with at least 50 SQM in size. Nice, well-appointed, and overlooking the golf course. small size bathroom with a huge rain shower but no tub and another small restroom by the entrance with a sink and commode. The suite was clean and comfortable with two flat screen TVs: one each for bedroom and living room. We requested a baby crib and it was delivered promptly.

Service: Nice staff at the FD and RC. Housekeeping delivered when we requested a crib. Some minor issues with FD but it was corrected. Turn down service was not performed maybe because of the relatively late check-in time. Free but chaotic parking lot on a first come first serve basis.

Regency Club: The regency club which is located in building 5 on the other side of the lobby building is very small in comparison with other executive lounges I have been to. It looked like two rooms were converted to form this RC. Children are allowed in the lounge but due to its small size guests were constantly bumping into each other.

Food: Breakfast in the lounge was cont. Fruits, cereals, pastries including bagels, chesses, juices, smoked salmon, etc. were available in addition to hot beverages. Food offerings at happyhours (5-8 PM) were okay. Honor bar for alcohol, beer and wine but no premium brands. Did not try any other F&B outlets (one was TusCA) at this property.

Location: Excellent location right at HWY 1 (Cabrillo HWY) about a mile south of beautiful downtown Monterey and its historic canneries and wharf.

Swimming Pool: And kids play grounds right next to the RC at the back of building 5. All looked like great fun but it was too cold to participate.

Our total bill for room and tax was about $160 and I paid with 3 $50 HGC and charged the balance onto my cc. Our photo set for this stay can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157624403918282/

2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at this hotel a few times and it is a decent hotel. It's an older hotel, upgraded by renovations about two years ago. The rooms and service are decent although as the above poster experienced, service can be a bit spotty on occasion. They also do a fair number of events and parking can be a challenge if you arrive after all of the event guests have parked.

Diamonds seem to usually get upgraded to a suite.

It's no Park Hyatt, but I'd stay here again as they usually offer fair rates for what is provided.

3. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is the hotel where I stay when I go to Monterrey. It's rather unimpressive for a resort Hyatt. Each building does not have an elevator and I've often had to trudge quite a way in the dark to get my bags up to the third floor. It's also fairly poorly lit so I feel rather unsafe at night walking from my car to my room.

I don't find rooms to be very impressive and the Regency Club staff are lovely, but it's nothing to write home about. I definitely would not chose it as a vacation hotel.

RichardInSF likes this.
  4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the TusCa restaurant quite well, and we loved using our DELISH (or was it GP5000?) rate for one night there. Ahhh, those were the days....(barely a year ago...)

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Lobby building between buildings 5 & 6.
    [​IMG]
    Suite 628 - Living area
    [​IMG]
    Happy Hour food offerings at the Regency Club
    [​IMG]
    Playgrounds for activities near RC & pool
    [​IMG]
    Suite 628

6. tigerwong
    Original Member

tigerwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    The rooms are definitely blah and the layout of the grounds have a high end motel feel. But the space is large and kid friendly. The regency lounge has the standard offering and friendly staff. My biggest complaint is the $16 resort free, which I find to be unjustified. I would hardly qualify this hotel as a "resort" despite it's size. Daily rates are within reason, but when resort fee is tacked on, price starts edging towards the high end of what I would pay. Sadly, as a slave to status, Stays / Points are what keeps me coming back.

7. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is one of those places we have avoided staying at due to noise reviews on Trip Advisor. I hear that unless you are lucky and get the golf course view that there is substantial traffic noise. We stay at the The Clement when we go to Monterey even though the Hyatt is our number one program choice.

8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a Diamond, you can ask for and most likely will get a suite overlooking the golf course, see our suite below. Alhough the place had an ongoing party atmosphere, we did not hear a pep from our room even though we were close to "the action"! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

karung99 likes this.
  9. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are just lowly platinums so we can be sure there will be no upgrade for us. Actually must admit I prefer the location of The Clement as the rooms are beautiful and so much handier to the action.

karung99 likes this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received the following email today:
    Sounds good with the $50 hotel credit ... maybe a dinner at TusCA :)

karung99 and RichardInSF like this.
  11. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here and get upgrade to a beautiful suite, we were busy didn't spend time at RC lounge but I stopped by in the Morning for coffee.
    The Spa is excellent did enjoy the steam room alot.
    With my company corp. I will come back here again.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of April 3 this property is no longer has RC lounge it is closed now. I love the Club for coffee in the morning.
    Breakfast is serve in TusCA restaurant now.

Kalboz likes this.