Hyatt Regency Minneapolis - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by peteropny, Jul 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I used a suite upgrade and was given a VIP suite on the 24th floor (top floor). Apparently all rooms on the floor can be made into a suite - king room adjacent to a "living" room which is adjacent to another room (presumably a double?) then the whole sequence repeats.

The whole hotel (except for the guest elevators) were recently renovated. The decor is certainly "bold" with blues the predominant color (not the usual "beige" earth tones) - and certainly looks a bit dark both in the corridor and rooms. Furnishing choices are also quite bold - I would say that the decor is "mid-century".

The suite that I had 2430 the king bedroom & 2432(4) the living room was very spacious taking the space of 3 regular rooms. The living area had a dry bar (with a Keurig machine and small refrigerator) a counter area with stools. The "dining" area has a credenza and a dining table with 6 chairs (I never figured out where the switch for the chandelier was). Next in the "living" area with a sofa table, a blue velvet sofa, a coffee table, a credenza with a LG Flat Panel TV (smaller - certainly no more than 37"). Next to the "living" area is a large closet. Finishing out the "living" area is a full bath (with a bathtub).

The king "bedroom" part had other than the king bed (and night stands), a small sofa and along the side a desk / credenza with Flat TV. This bathroom is shower only. Room feels a bit cramped with the bed facing the window.

I'm not certain what the setup is on the other floors.

Regency Club operates (at least currently) every day. It is fairly small but seems to be sufficiently sized for the property. Food offerings are typical but without any hot items either for breakfast / evening service. The attendants are the most focused on guests signing in than any other club I've been in (there is not a key lock on the door but the floor is key access only).

I can certainly see why the decor may not appeal to some people. IMO, the large wall area next to the guest room elevators need some decoration - the white paint makes it feel like we were going into the employee area.

Parking is in an adjacent parking structure - I believe that Valet is $22/night and Self Park is $17/night. For Self Park you can either get validation through the hotel (for in / out privileges) although they seem to be somewhat reluctant to do that or pay the garage directly ($17 for 4-24 hours with no in / out).

Overall, I found the property to be quite nice for a "basic" Hyatt and would happily return next time I'm in MSP.

tommy777 and uggboy like this.
  2. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When was this renovation? I stayed there around six months ago (in a regular room on/around the 20th floor), and it was a dump!

uggboy likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note that this hotel is connected by the skyway system to the convention center but very little else; when there isn't something in the convention center, this section of the skyway system is usually closed.

uggboy likes this.
  4. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did they finish renovating the lobby yet? I was there a couple of months ago and their "lobby" was one of the convention center meeting rooms.

uggboy likes this.
  5. ahauschi

ahauschi New Member

Status Points:
    The renovation was completed May 25, 2012, inclusive of the lobby, restaurant, and guest rooms. They have updated photos on their facebook page, facebook.com/hyattregencyminneapolis as well.

Attached Files:

uggboy likes this.
  6. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's definitely not the lobby I remember. I must have been there "pre-renovation". Each time I have stayed there has been a result of Priceline. You can usually get a room there for anywhere between $70-100 on a weekend night.