Hyatt Regency, Maui - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by rajuabju, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    A bit surprised no one's started a review thread for the HR Maui, so I'll go ahead and do so.

Stayed here for 5 nights on my honeymoon recently. It's a great property located near Lahaina, which I'd recommend, even though its a bit pricey.

I used a diamond suite upgrade, and was given an ocean suite. Being that it was our honeymoon, it was worth it in that instance, but generally speaking, the ocean suites are small, around 550sf if I remember correctly, so it may not be the "best" use of a suite upgrade.

Our room, despite being a bit small, was still very comfortable, with well kept furniture, decor, etc. We really liked the room quite a bit, although the bathroom was tiny and could use a bit of a refresh, IMO.

As for the hotel itself... staff was very nice. One thing I recommend is to stay away from the concierge... they really push their own agenda with whatever restaurants/tours they have deals with. I didnt like that. I ended up doing a bit of my own research, and having the concierge in the club room book everything for us, and she was FANTASTIC in getting it done and following up with confirmations. The hotel is a bit on the older side, and its starting to show. They keep the place clean, but just some of the wall paneling in the lobby area and what not looks pretty dated.

I wouldnt be surprised if the HR Maui announced a remodel soon for some of the common areas so it can compete with some of the newer hotels on Maui.

One thing I wasnt crazy about was parking. A few times, self-park (free) was full, so I valet.. and then fortunately found out, during our stay, to ask for the valet fee (expensive!) to be waived.

The regency club was great. It was temporarily located on the lobby level during our stay as the main room was being renovated, though I think its since been moved back to its normal location. Options for food were among the best I've seen, and the RC staff were very helpful. It was never too busy for us, though we typically ate early breakfast and just stopped for snacks in the afternoon.

All in all, a great property and very enjoyable stay!

2. hobo13
    Original Member

hobo13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here in early February. It was quite a trek from the suites to the Regency Club, especially after I stepped on a sea urchin!

3. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    The property is at the southern end of the hotels on Kaanapali beach proper. I have stayed here about 5 times over the past 15 or so years, since we have a timeshare elsewhere on Maui. As noted, the RC staff are full of aloha and are very welcoming. While the honor system is in place for drinks (wine or mixed alcohol) it is very unobtrusive and you just fill out a card.

The lobby is beginning to show its age, but it is still for the most part very nice and has a definite Hawaiian feel. The pool here is something that has to be experienced - as there is a large pool that adults mostly use...that connects through a cave to a Grotto Bar....where one can swim up and drink and watch TV if so inclined. The pool continues through the cave to another large pool on the other side...which is adjacent to a meshed off area where little ones have their own pool and fountains and even a mini slide. This makes it convenient to keep an eye on your children without developing severe back strain...you can float in the deep adult pool and watch them through the mesh.

Finally, the Hyatt also has a rather fast and steep enclosed tube slide that drops from off the lobby level all the way down to the pool...where it drops you in deep (and cold) water.

I will follow-up when I have time with a review of some of the restaurants here.

4. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    When were you there? Like others I'm sure, I received an email today announcing the renovations that were "completed in December". From the limited photos on the website, the renovated rooms look a lot like the recently-renovated rooms at the Hyatt in Waikiki.

5. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I should have clarified... They did refresh the rooms.

I meant a refresh of the common areas like the lobby, etc. Thats what was looking dated & tired to me ... specifically that dark wall paneling all over the place, looks like its been there forever and it needs to go.

6. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at the Hyatt after tax season was over for 9 nights. Nice facility. The new Japengo restaurant was very nice - tasty food and good service. The casual poolside restaurant (the name escapes me), not so much.

Biggest peeve? Bird poop not being cleaned up on the outdoor chairs/cushions in the public areas. It's nasty, and I'm not sure why they're not making the attempt to keep the outdoor chairs a bit more clean. Brought it up to the front desk about a third of the way into the stay with a request that they take it to management with the result of the same bird poop being on the chairs for the rest of the stay.

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this a Diamond perk only, or did you learn that they do this regularly for customers who ask? I'm not likely to be Diamond in the next year, but I am planning on visiting this hotel before then.

8. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its the policy for any guest, on the nights they have the luau self parking will sometimes by full. Just tell the front desk and they will remove the charge.

9. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They did that for me the one night the self parking was full. They also advised me that there's a second self parking lot (the driveway to the left of the valet dropoff/front door) that nobody had told me about.

10. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the one back by the luau. As long as you get there a couple hours before said luau, there should be some open spaces.

11. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day:
    Being the last night of my four days stay on Maui's Kanaapali Beach staying at 3 different hotels ( Westin Villas, Marriott Ocean Club Villas & Hyatt Regency) I checked in at the Hyatt Regency Maui yesterday morning before noon without any problems. I have Diamond status with Hyatt and was first extended a 2.00 pm check out and then a 4.00 pm when I asked. I was staying using a free night. The hotel is getting ready to be repainted and the entrance as well as the right side of the lobby are coverded with scaffoldings. But the work has not started and will not until October. I was given an Ocean Front Regency Club room on the 21rst floor . The room looked slightly updated from a year and a half ago. It was very nice with the exception of the coffee stain on the bathroom mat. The Regency Club has been fully remodelled and looks very nice. I had dinner at the new Japengo Pacific Rim restaurant and Sushi Lounge; the fish was good and it was busy. A nice stay.

12. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a mini-review. At this property for one more night :(... Photos will be posted tomorrow.

Check-In:
    With the construction, the check-in area has moved to a temporary location. They're now in a small room, with three main check-in positions, and a desk off to the right for Diamond/Plat members. About ten people were in the regular line, and nobody in the Diamond/Plat line, so we were served very quickly. There are two chairs at that desk, so it feels more personal when being checked-in.

Parking: Valet is $$$, so I opted to self park. With the boat that Hertz gave me, I've had trouble parking in the lots, but we were able to fit. Sedans and smaller SUVs will have the least amount of trouble parking.

Regency Club:
    This is one of, if not the best Regency Club I have ever visited. The three ladies in there have years of experience with Hyatt, and are more than happy to sit and chat with you about Maui or anything else you might want to know. For those of you that visited the old RC at the Waikiki HR, this one is sort of similar, with two side rooms, a main sitting area, and a small business center (two laptops & color laserjet). The food and dessert spread in the evening was very good. During the non-meal hours, they have some cookies, nuts, etc.. They've also got a very good mixed juice!

The Suite:
    I am splitting the room with a friend, so I decided to use a suite upgrade. We're in x33, which has a full ocean view, as well as a view of the neighboring Marriott property and the mountains. The living room has a couch, table and chairs, and a good flat screen tv. A mini-bar is in the room, but they want way too much for any of the items ($5 for a bottled water? [​IMG]). The living room has plenty of space for a roll-a-way bed to be setup.. In the bedroom, there is an additional refrigerator, walk in closet, good bathroom, and large sink area. The sounds of the ocean at night are very nice to listen to as you fall asleep [​IMG]

The Property:
    I'm very glad that they started the renovations. While most parts of this property don't need any renovations, there were several areas I saw that needed some attention. There are three towers (Lahaina, Atrium, & Napili. The Regency Club is located in the Atrium Tower, so it's a bit of a walk from the other towers. This property also has a Macy's on-site and is currently running some good sales on Tori Richards Hawaiian shirts [​IMG]. There are a few restaurants on the property, but I did not have a chance to try any of them.

As far as the renovations, I only heard noise when I was walking through the Atrium Tower. There doesn't appear to be any construction work in the Lahaina Tower, so getting a suite would still make for a nice vacation. However, you could always give the hotel a call and see what they could do for you. There are plenty of standard rooms in this tower, so your parents would be far away from any noise.

kenbo, Scottrick and cennas like this.
  13. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Scottrick likes this.
  14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review. The reports on TripAdvisor are positively awful right now regarding the construction, but they also suggest it should be cleared up by Christmas. Does anyone know more about the timeline? I have a 5-night ocean front room booked over Valentine's Day and would like to know if I have to start looking for alternatives. I think these are in the Atrium tower but I'm not sure (no, it's not a club floor, I'm not that special).

15. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Map of the property

[​IMG]

Scottrick likes this.
  16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had used FFN's during a high season 3 night stay.

Pros: as Diamond, was upgraded to ocean view room on regency club floor, evening food & free booze in the regency club, VERY helpful staff.

Cons: The pool chairs could not be closer together, truly a crappy set up, there are only a few chairs that one could change to angle with & stay in the sun. We had decent luck moving a couple chairs to the grass area by the beach (not a great beach btw) in this area (where plenty of other chairs are located). Service from the waitstaff was very poor on all days (to be clear waitstaff would be abundant for 20 mins, then be gone for an hour+).

This last con point seems obvious but there are loads of people. Was I happy the stay was FFN? (of course) but I've come to the realization that loads of other tourists is not the Hawaiian experience I want to have, so while on Maui I'll steer clear of the resorts and stick to the many fine condos I've rented in the past and let the hoards do the resort thing. The condos just don't seem to be near as crowded IMO.

17. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to add my 2cents as I just finished a one night award stay here again. I was over there in September as well. But with this last stay, I was "Diamond" but had already booked my partial ocean view room on the club floor. I put in for an upgrade to a full ocean view and was able to get this upon check-in. My fees were waved for any upgrades. I was thankful to get the same check in agent as my past trip- Jeff. He goes out of his way to accommodate us, whether we are checking in through the GP line or the regular line. Currently the check in desk is located in the Lahaina tower as they are indeed working on the renovations in the original area. I received an email prior to my arrival that changes/renovation were happening sooner than planned and as to what inconveniences I might encounter.

I was very happy with my room. I did hear some construction noises on the first day I was there but? After working hours, it was perfect.

Now for the Regency Club. Yes, these ladies here are the "bestest" in the world in my opinion. They took very good care of me even after checkout as I stayed up there after 4 P.M. and until I had to catch my redeye flight home. Since I was staying on the club floor, everyone mentioned that I could get a card re-keyed to get back up to the RC to stay throughout the evening until my flight later. I could enjoy more of that great food they served up there as well.:D We also chatted about FF programs and these websites, as well as with Jeff too. I highly recommend the hotel based especially on the staff;) I received top notch treatment from everyone

rajuabju and FriendlySkies like this.
  18. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day:
    Will end a 5 nights stay at this location tomorrow night.
    The lobby will be finished just on time for Christmas on Friday 23rd of December I am told.
    It looks pretty good.
    Regency Club has been very busy and they have opened another one/location on floor 21 for the holidays.
    Got a corner ocean suite with my Diamond upgrade in the Napili Tower on the 5th floor with good views of the ocean and coastline. Only for 4 nights. I had to settle for a regular room for my last night as tthe suite were fully booked.
    Since I booked 2 rooms I wish the suite set up would have been the same as at the Waikii Hyatt...It would have saved the cost of the extra room...
    The ocean suite is much smaller than the Kauai Hyatt ocean suite.
    Very good Ahi Poke was available at the Regency Club last night with pork wontons.
    I am told it is served every Wednesday.
    Great service from Sandy (formelly at the Hyatt Waikiki with Michael and Mark) and Karen as well as everybody else for that matter.
    Papaya is gone from the breakfast spread...and so are the free drinks; but for the latest it is old news.
    Stay away from the seared Ahi at Umalu in the afternoon...I was served something that had been previously frozen...
    Overall good stay so far with good service. Could not connect to the internet and quickly were provided with in room wireless routers.
    I asked for a late check out after 4.00 pm on Friday it was granted.

Scottrick and FriendlySkies like this.
  19. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day:
    Here are a few pictures of the "new" Hyatt Regency Maui lobby. P1010681.JPG P1010682.JPG P1010683.JPG P1010684.JPG P1010680.JPG

infamousdx likes this.
  20. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pics! It looks much better than it did in October.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

21. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    It certainly does .
    As a side note if you are in the area try the restaurant "Star Noodle" in Lahaina you will not be disappointed.

infamousdx and FriendlySkies like this.
  22. adamlile

adamlile Silver Member

Status Points:
    FriendlySkies likes this.
  23. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see it updated. Will be staying there for part of our honeymoon next month

24. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone stay in a partial ocean view club room? That is the room I have booked for early Dec. and I am wondering about the view. Thanks!

25. georockc

georockc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed in one last year. No complaints about the view. I could certainly see plenty of ocean and it was an easy trip to see the rest of it. I had a view of about half the grounds and the ocean down towards Lahaina.

travelpye likes this.