Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort and Spa - REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by aabrock, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. aabrock
    Original Member

aabrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    We just returned from a stay at the Hyatt Huntington Beach Resort; first visit to this property. We arrived at 1pm this past Saturday and tried to get an early-checkin; unfortunately our room was not ready yet but they did give us temporary keys to go enjoy the Regency Club while waiting (we are Diamond, and were using a suite upgrade so would have had Regency Club access).

The Room:
    The suite, 4366, was top floor overlooking the hot tub and pool; the room was one half living area with couch/chair/desk and the other half bedroom with another small desk nook. The balcony spanned both halves, so a good outside space with a lounge chair for enjoying the sunsets. One thing to note is that this hotel is across the Pacific Coast Highway from the ocean, so while we had a room that was as close to the ocean as you can get (not counting the enormous suites at the end of the hallways) you are also closest to the highway. However, we never really noticed the traffic noise. The in-room wireless was TERRIBLE; very very slow and would occasionally just drop off entirely. Didn't matter the time of day or night; it could not even download email reliably. Our room still had a wired network connection on the desk, which was much better and I used it for most of the stay.

The Regency Club:
    The RC was spacious and never crowded during our stay. Breakfasts included the typical breads and fruits, and I was happily surprised to see a number of cold cuts and a wonderful frittata. We never made it during the dinner period so can't comment on that. We did walk in a couple of times when they were taking the afternoon snacks away; the staff was very accommodating and left everything out for us to take what we wanted.

The Spa:
    Access is open to all guests to use the facilities which include steam room, jacuzzi, sauna, and relaxation areas. The best part of the spa was the common (men and women) outside area with the fireplace and water fountains. The worst part were the complimentary razor blades; my advice: bring your own.

Transportation:
    We had a rental car, and the valet charge per night is $25. Even though, we discovered there is an on-demand shuttle bus that will take you to the downtown Huntington Beach area (intersection of Walnut and 5th, to be exact) and retrieve you when ready to return to the resort (up until 10pm). There is a charge of $2 per person roundtrip, but we felt that it was definitely worth it to not fight traffic and downtown parking. It's a mile or so walk from the resort to downtown, so that is also an option...simply walk out of the back of the resort, cross Pacific Coast Highway via the overpass and then walk along the beach towards the pier into town.

Checkout:
    There is a $23 resort fee for all guests; I asked at checkout if Diamonds have to pay this fee and was told yes. I then asked if there was a discount for Diamonds due to the overlap of Diamond amenities and what the resort fee gets you; she initially said no but when pressed she asked someone else and was told that there is a $7 reduction per night for Diamonds (so $16 per night). So it doesn't seem to be a widely known policy, but it definitely exists.

Coffee:
    As a tremendous coffee-snob, I am always on the lookout for the best cup of coffee near my hotel. About 1/2 mile away from the resort up Beach Blvd is a strip mall with a Big Lots; next to it is a little Italian espresso shop called "Mr. Ps Espresso". An easy walk, and definitely worth it.

Our overall impression of this property was very good. We spent a majority of the time away from the resort, and didn't even use the swimming pool. But the grounds were beautiful, our room comfortable and the staff very accommodating. We would definitely consider staying here again.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great review! I also stayed here recently, so I'll add mine-

I stayed here on a free night award stay for a weekend getaway. Award night was for a regular room, but upon check-in, was upgraded to one of their suites (I dont remember which one) for being a valued Diamond member and it was a great room. We were very happy indeed and our room was just a few doors down from the Club room which was very nicely stocked.

Hotel staff was very friendly. Resort fee was waived since it was an award stay. Gotta love the location, and I think this is one of the nicer Hyatt properties in SoCal, especially their suites. Awesome for a quick weekend getaway.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Aabrock, I was initially surprised when I read you paid a resort fee as a Diamond. When I re-read your post, though, realized you had a suite upgrade on a paid rate. Like rajuabju, I was there recently on an award stay and the resort fee was waived. Terrific place but still, for those that pay, the true resort fee of $48 ($23 resort fee, plus $25 for parking) is a hefty add-on.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  5. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:

I have never paid to park here as there is street parking two blocks away.

Sweet Willie, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at this property last year on a NBT award for a weekend, two nights. Occupancy rate was over 70%, but as a Diamond, we were upgraded to a nice spacious suite (#4434). Was offered the Diamond amenity and chose the points. Booked for early check-in but the suite wasn’t ready until after 2 PM. Asked for and was given a 4 PM late checkout.
    [​IMG]
    Room: As indicated above the room was a one-bedroom suite with at least 80 SQM in size. Very beautiful, well-appointed, spacious with lots of light and slightly overlooking the main pool and the Pacific Ocean. Good size bathroom with double sink and a huge whirlpool. Another small bathroom in the foyer with a shower. The suite was clean and comfortable with one flat screen TV in the bedroom and a regular but large TV in the living room. Huge balcony with bedroom and living room access.
    [​IMG]
    Service: Excellent and attentive service by executive floor, housekeeping and other staff members. Some minor issues with housekeeping but it was corrected promptly. Turn down service was performed daily with chocolates. Valet parking is $25 per 24-hour period with unlimited in/out privileges. We requested a baby crib and it was delivered promptly.

Regency Club: Located on the 4th floor of the lobby area building, it is small in comparison with other executive lounges I have seen, but very nice, well-stocked, and with an ocean-view balcony. Children friendly lounge.
    [​IMG]
    Food: Breakfast in the lounge was cont. Fruits, cereals, pastries, chesses, juices, etc. were available in addition to hot beverages. Food offerings at happy hours (5-8 PM) were okay. Honor bar for alcohol, beer and wine but no premium brands. Dinning in the main lobby restaurant (The Californian) was excellent. We had a lunch and breakfast there. We used restaurant.com’s $75 off coupon at this restaurant and it was accepted without a question. The food and service at the other restaurant (Pete’s Sunset Grille) was great also.
    [​IMG]
    Location: Excellent location right at Beach (HWY 39) and Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) about a mile south of beautiful downtown Huntington Beach and its pier. Attached to the property a bridge that connects it over PCH into the beautiful sandy beaches. Other main Southern California beaches and attractions are within driving distance. If you are into nature, the Bolsa Chica State Park is about 5 miles north right on PCH. $2 per person one-way shuttle to downtown Huntington Beach is provided from the hotel. Nice shopping area inside the hotel just north of the lobby in a village setting atmosphere with a grocery store, Starbucks, bike renting shop, clothing stores, etc.

Swimming Pool: In addition to the expansive beaches just few steps away, this property contains 3 pool areas: the main pool, the spa grotto, and the Slyders pool for kids ... all great fun. We didn't use the spa or the gym.
    [​IMG]
    Our total bill for incidentals was about $396 and we paid it using 8 Hyatt Check Certificates from Costco. Total points received about 4000 points. Although well deserved, too bad this property was upgraded to a higher category (6) and thus it takes more points per night stay. Overall, very nice and friendly property. See photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157623920126815/

Chimpy, Sweet Willie, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  7. jumpdogjump
    Original Member

jumpdogjump Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just finished a weekend stay in suite 4367 (same exact set-up as 1st review of this thread). Definitely a great resort for families with kids. Weekends feature kitemaking, sandcastle building (some pretty impressive family-built structures), Dive-in movie (usually a Disney) shown at 8pm Fri.nights. Firepits for smore-making by the Slyders (kids) pool and in front of Tower 15 Pizza.

Note about the beach: no alcohol allowed on the beach and no BBQ (even with small Propane grill, but they did allow it once I showed our set-up) outside fire rings on the beach. Very nice lifeguard gave us a warning that police would be coming by to enforce - . Beach is extremely wide and is dragged every weekend morning, so its very clean.

They started a shuttle van service to Duke's/Pier/Main Street (about 1 mile) from the hotel for $2 each way, which was great considering June evenings can be pretty windy & chilly.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great 30-minute fireworks at the Huntington Beach pier tonight ... we enjoyed it!

Chimpy and uggboy like this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a reservation coming up at this property. No one has mentioned lox being served at the RC for breakfast (as I've been able to enjoy at every RC I've been to), does this property not have lox for breakfast in their RC?
    woo-hoo, excellent tip, I despise paying anything for parking.

10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I can remember, they did have smoked salmon, bagles, chopped oinions, capers, and tomatoes for breakfast. Toasters were handy to crisp the bagles and then add the soft ingredients in the middle ... very delicious! :)

Chimpy, uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    whew, the lox & bagels are a benchmark for what I expect when going to an RC for breakfast, thanks for the prompt reply, I'll post a review after my stay in a few weeks.

12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to mention the little packets of cream chesse ;)

Chimpy and uggboy like this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    which I used each morning having my lox, which by the way didn't seem that high quality as I've had in other Hyatts. Breakfast was only served until 9:30am so we almost missed it a couple mornings.

We stayed for 3 nights, booked cheapest rate and was upgraded as Diamond to suite (pool view).

Valet was $25 for overnight, so we'd park out front from midnight until 6am for free, then daily valet for $15. Parking meters on PCH 1 if you do have to use them are $.25 for 10 mins and meters are in effect each day from 6am until midnight.

Bed/linens were very comfortable.

Property provides you with different towels if heading to beach.

Pool menu is quite tasty and a decent value, I usually got shaved beef on pita with a mint/yogurt sauce and Mrs Sweet Willie would get the salad with shrimp. Servers were terrific, always checking on us (of course they should be anyways but resort seemed maybe 40% full at best).

Over the Atlantic and Kalboz like this.
  14. Over the Atlantic

Over the Atlantic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a stay at this property next month, so the reviews (and reviewers!) have been very helpful. Any recent experiences to report, good or bad?

Also, it seems that the Huntington Beach municipal parking lot across the PCH provides a more affordable overnight parking option. Has anyone tried that?

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    From TOBB, this property to be avoided during the summer holiday months. Now that the summer is almost over and schools started, things probably went back to normal and this property is a resort once again.

I worked for years in downtown HB and the municipal parking structure on the 200 block of Main has always been safe and secure. But the distance is at least a mile between the parking and the HRHB, albeit along the most beautiful beaches of southern California.
    [​IMG]

Over the Atlantic likes this.