Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress lobby restoration

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by viguera, Aug 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just received an email from Hyatt with regards to the "lobby floor restoration" at this property planned for 9/1 to 9/7 (I have a stay beginning 9/5, so that's probably why they sent me the email).

The project supposedly involves removing the existing slate floor in the lobby with jackhammers, which doesn't sound like fun any way you look at it. They have made assurances that the construction will be limited to the hours of 9am-7pm (so basically all day) and that the recreation areas will not be impacted.

Nevertheless, that's a heads up in case your copy of the email ended up in your spam folder. :)

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Grand Cypress did a whole bunch of minor renovation, including some pretty serious lobby work, in early 2013 in advance of a Hyatt general managers conference. I remember their parrot getting relocated out of the lobby for a time. I'm surprised they'd be doing more work on the lobby so soon.

flyingdawg and viguera like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just there in April and the lobby looked perfectly fine to me, but apparently they're tearing things up pretty good.

I just got the "non Diamond" letter explaining the situation, which was less specific than the earlier one from the "VIP Manager" (which I assume is the person that contacts Diamond guests?).

This is the bulk of the latest email:

Whereas the VIP email reads like this:

The VIP email also includes a reference to the club being closed on 9/1 and 9/2, and the bonus points and breakfast associated with that, in an attached Word document.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed this week & there's definitely an issue with the marble floors in the hotel lobby (especially if its only a couple of yrs old). Lots of cracks and may tiles with crushed areas. Sure it would pass Best Western standards, but not what you'd expect to see at a Hyatt. Perhaps, they are going to replace it to match what's in the the conference center lobby?

Looks like installation of new parking fee booths/lanes were being installed this week also. Although, their website indicates they charge $12.00 for parking it was not added to my folio :) . Guess that will be coming very soon. As a plat they do discount the $25 per day resort fee to $20 per day :- I .

uggboy and viguera like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The VIP Manager that contacted me is on vacation until mid-September, but I got a callback from someone else who's currently attending to people with questions. The renovation is supposed to start on Sunday and last 7 days, so it looks like you just missed the good (noisy) parts... :)

I'm in town for a conference at the Marriott a couple of miles away but I'm going to stick with the original plan and stay here, mostly because I like the Hyatt more than the Marriott (or the Hilton nearby) and because of the attention I got from the staff -- this time and during my last visit.

Hopefully they'll be on track and finish by Sunday (or earlier) since I'm in town until Thursday.

flyingdawg likes this.
  6. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're a lofty Diamond, I would be very interested to know how much they discount the resort fee for you (and the parking fee).

7. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    i guess the Platinum members get the general standard replies too. ;)

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm arriving on Friday so I'll let you know. :)

I've never had any issues with this property and they're always very attentive, which is why I'm going back even though I really should be staying at the Gaylord.

flyingdawg likes this.
  9. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    great, let us know how it goes ;)

flyingdawg likes this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checked in a couple of hours ago.

The lobby is unrecognizable, and there's a ton of construction going on -- albeit by the time we got in everything had stopped and they seemed to be winding down.

There's carpet everywhere rather than marble, two of the 4 elevators are not working (closed off) and the main registration desk seems to be inaccessible. We were greeted by a few people that checked us in, standing in the middle of the lobby with iPads. Not as elegant or streamlined as the Andaz style, but I suppose it will do.

They're making a good effort to keep things from interfering with guests but it's hard to do since it's a major undertaking. I'll see how things are in the morning when they start working :)

I'll nab some pictures too when I get a chance.

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    So... the construction is finished. They actually put down carpet on the entire lobby, and finished late last night -- they were still working on the carpet squares around 9pm last night.

The whole area looks decent, albeit less "grand" than before with the marble. They did mention that there will be another round of updates later when they switch the carpet for tile, but hopefully that won't be as disruptive as this round of construction. Some of the people that have been here for a while said that the noise was actually very noticeable earlier when they started, but I guess things had died down by the time I arrived.

Otherwise the hotel is in good shape, and the only complaints come from the crowds. I was in the club yesterday when someone walked in with 5 teens and they tore up the place... going after the supposed "desserts" that they serve late afternoon, as well as the soda machine -- they don't have individual cans as I suspect these kids would empty out a whole fridge if they did.

A good stay and a solid property so far, but we'll see if that changes. :)

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally got around to filtering some of the pictures as I get ready to check out today. Here are a few of the constructions as it was winding down when I arrived, the new lobby carpet and the VIP suite where I ended up.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 20140905_190657.jpg 20140905_191114.jpg

Attached Files:

AttorneyVin, flyingdawg and Garp74 like this.
  13. AttorneyVin

AttorneyVin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice - thanks for the update and photos!
    How did you like the "VIP Suite"? I have not stayed in one at HR Grand Cypress before and will be sampling one this weekend - I will post a review and photos next week, but was curious how this compared to the other Suites?

14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed there a couple of times and this is by far the biggest.

The kitchen is funky because it looks like it would be set up for entertaining, but there are no plates, cups or utensils. I have no idea whether the hotel would provide them on request.

It's a very nice space overall, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

AttorneyVin and flyingdawg like this.
  15. AttorneyVin

Status Points:
    Thanks so much - it looks like a great Suite; I even found some video of it online in another review. I will definitely post a full review sometime next week.

flyingdawg likes this.
  16. AttorneyVin

Status Points:
    The Suite was absolutely AMAZING! I just drafted a very lengthy review on TripAdvisor, and also copied it into the Review Thread on MilePoint.

viguera likes this.