Hyatt Regency DFW Environmental Problems ???

Discussion in 'Dallas | April 17-19, 2015 [normal/advanced]' started by HPaul, Apr 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. HPaul

HPaul Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought it might just be me but after a friend who stayed in my room at the hotel the third night of my stay had the exact same issue, I decided it might be something about the hotel. I’m a doctor and I generally have a good understanding of my health. Every time I put my head on a pillow on the bed in my room this past weekend, my nose got very stuffed within a few short minutes. The stuffiness lasted until I was up (out of bed) for about 10-15 minutes and didn’t go away completely until I was out of the room for half an hour. I stayed 3 nights (Fri/Sat/Sun), a friend joined me Sunday night. I remember apologizing Sunday night “I’m sorry for the sound effects (of blowing and trying to clear my nose) but every time I lie down in this room, my nose gets stuffed up”. We talked about possible allergies (only mild allergies to cats and dogs which shed profusely) and I said I doubted that was the problem. First thing Monday morning, my friend said “I can’t breathe through my nose”.

I’m curious if anyone else had the same problems this past weekend. With many of us having the ability to share information (on this website) and staying at the same hotel at the same time, we have a unique public health opportunity, not unlike tracking a possible problem on a cruise ship or a college dormitory or a military housing area. Very different than getting ill and not knowing who else stayed in the same hotel or ate in the same restaurant.

trippin_the_rift and iolaire like this.
  2. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No issues here. I stayed there Friday and Saturday night.

Clemmiez likes this.
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was fine at the hotel this weekend. I am usually quite aware of smells and have been in hotels where I have had allergies (I carry decongestants and zyrtec with me), but not this weekend.

4. strongmama

strongmama Active Member

Status Points:
    I noticed a smell in my room, kind of like leftover smoke from years ago. I also couldn't breathe out of my nose until I was in the workshops.

5. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was there for 5 nights as I was flying in from Hong Kong.

After the first night I had what appeared to be a cold/sneezing/nasal congestion. This lasted the entire FTU event and is why I didn't get too social just incase it was something I had picked up.

This is very odd for me as I'm generally a healthy person (and perhaps the only FTU'er to use the gym at the hotel...didn't see anyone else there!)
    On the last night I thought the room may have something to do with it so switched to a new room.

Woke up the last day feeling refreshed, strong and healthy. Common colds don't disappear THAT fast....

Now that I know others had similar issues I'm 100% sure it's the hotel.

6. HPaul

HPaul Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used the gym Saturday evening (weights and bicycle machine) and Sunday evening (bicycle machine). I do not have any health concerns related to the gym. I also ran (very slowly at my age) laps in the hotel parking lot 3 different times, fortunately not too many cars, the top 2 levels had almost no cars at all .

Very similar to my experience.

Agreed, that is my personal experience as well as my professional opinion (physician for 30 years, Primary Care and Emergency Medicine).

Yes, exactly my point. I was expecting to read more concurring comments. Perhaps whatever problems the hotel has are limited to a few rooms.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    trippin_the_rift likes this.