Hyatt Regency Denver Convention Center-REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Pizzaman, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I spent about 80 nights at this property in 2010.

The property is located very well in downtown Denver, right next to the Convention Center, and a block from the 16th street mall. Larimer Street, where a number of good restaurants call home, is about 3 blocks away.

Valet parking is only $8 more than self parking at the hotel. There are a few street lots nearby, but I've found parking at the hotel to be the easiest option for me.

The hotel doesn't man the Diamond check-in line with a ton of regularity, but I've never waited more than 5 minutes to check-in. They always recognize my Diamond status and ask about an amenity or points.

The rooms are in great shape, if not the most spacious for a standard rooms. If cell phone/wireless laptop cards are an important part of your daily communication, I've found that the top couple of floors get very spotty reception. The rest of the hotel is fine.

This hotel has one of the best fitness centers I frequent. The quantity and variety of equipment is great. Everything is brand new and in good condition. There are half a dozen each elliptical, treadmill, and 2 types of bikes. There are also about 25 stations for weight lifting, etc. The pool is usually empty for swimming laps, and the outside jacuzzi overlooking the convention center is usually quiet as well.

The hotel has a lobby bar (Strata), a coffee bar (Perks), a main restaurant in the lobby (Altitude), and a restaurant on the 28th floor (Peaks).

The lobby bar is huge, and usually filled with convention attendees. Reasonably priced, but not a great variety on the menu. I much prefer Peaks.

The menu in Peaks changes frequently. It's mostly small plates, hot and cold. There's usually a cheese and charcuterie option, as well as a number of seafood and bar type items. A bit pricey, but really good quality. Thye two by-the-glass wine lists. The first is your typical list, the second a bunch of wines you rarely see poured by the glass. Usually some exceptional choices.

Altitude is serviceable. Their menu mimics the room service menu found at most Hyatts.

There's a lounge on the 35th floor. Breakfast is generally smoked salmon, bagels, cereal, cut fruit, pastries, cheese. There's a do-it-yourself cappuccino machine. For dinner, it's light snacks and cheese.

Room service is always prompt and efficient. I order 2 or 3 times every time I stay. They rarely make a mistake, and when they do, they're quick to fix it. Hot food is always hot and fresh.

I generally find the staff very pleasant and efficient. Overall, I prefer this property to the Grand Hyatt down the street, although the weekend rates at the Grand are usually a magnitude lower than the Regency.

basiface and JayBee like this.
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at this property a number on times. Will post photos this afternoon.

3. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As promised, here are a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

basiface and tommy777 like this.
  4. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to mention..​
    If you are in need of airport transportation, Super Shuttle from the Hyatt to DIA (DEN) is $19 o/w... Starts at 5:30am.​

basiface likes this.
  5. bschaff1
    Original Member

bschaff1 Active Member

Status Points:
    This hotel beats the Grand Hyatt Denver 2 blocks away by miles. I had an excellent stay here in November and my favorite thing about it was the outdoor hot tub.

One good deal with this property is the have a local exploration property which gets you something like 7 beers at various microwbreweries, discounted parking, and I believe it's a cancelable rate for about $15 more than the restricted rates.

6. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, the Grand Hyatt is nicer than this property. I felt as though this property was a bit too modern, while the Grand Hyatt was pretty elegant.

roadwarrior365 likes this.
  7. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The property looks impressive, how do the restaurants and amenities at the Grand Hyatt compare?

9. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    IME, the breakfast menu is the same at both properties. As far as lunch/dinner, the HR has an incredible buffet. I know the GH offers a buffet, but I have not tried it.

GH is older than the HR, so things like the gym, pool, etc are a little older. The Grand Club still looks very nice, compared to the RC at the HR.

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You can read my review on the GH Denver here. While there are pluses to the GH in terms of standard room upgrades, I think the Regency wins out on dining, amenities, etc.

11. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed here on 12/20. The hotel is very nice, and the lobby area is spacious and open. Being close to Christmas, there were a lot of Christmas decorations, which was a nice touch. We booked a Mountain View King room (through Expedia during a sale with a BRG coupon, total: $45). The room was pretty standard, but everything was clean and there was a large desk which was convenient. The front desk staff was very kind (much kinder than the staff I encountered at the Grand Hyatt down the street).

We parked in the lot across the street for $7 overnight (rather than $30 valet or $25 self park in the Hyatt parking area). The lot is literally across the street and takes about 1 minute to walk from your car to the door of the Hyatt.

Unfortunately, this was probably the worst night of sleep I have had at a hotel, ever. Around 12:45 a.m., someone removed a fire extinguisher from it's holding place on the 6th floor, activating the fire alarm. There are alarm speakers (or whatever those are called?) are in EACH ROOM, not just in the hallways. It startled me awake when it went off and I was a bit confused by what was going on until I called the front desk and they said they were not sure what set off the alarm. The alarm went off for a minute or two and was INCREDIBLY loud.

Then about 20 minutes later there were a bunch of kids/teenagers in the hallway making a lot of noise. A quick call to the front desk took care of that, thankfully.

When we woke up the next morning, there was an apology letter under the door from the head of security.

I'm writing it off as bad luck, because everything else about the hotel and its staff was very nice.