Hyatt Regency Cancun

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by bartla, Nov 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bartla

bartla Silver Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, OceanBreezes and TAHKUCT like this.
  2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the nice review and pictures. Might be going there in few months if can get cheap air.

OceanBreezes and uggboy like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last Dec we had a 4 day stay here on an award. The wonderful Diamond amenity is 4 apples, no I'm not kidding, 4 apples.

As a Hyatt Diamond we were only upgraded to an ocean view room but to me that is the most important thing, I really don't care if I'm on a club floor or have a luxurious rain shower.

Our first couple of days was very nice as we were put in an oceanfront room, one can hear the waves at night. That was before the last couple days when the clubs down the beach got into action, we could hear the thump thump of the dance music through our pillows as well as hear the dj yelling at various times.

The rooms themselves are very noisy, one can easily hear the guests in the rooms on either side & above when they would move a chair, put something on the railings along the wall etc etc. If someone is in the lobby and decides to be loud (or kids in the early am screaming) the sound shoots right up the center of the hotel & into the rooms.

Pool is nice but the beach is fantastic, BIG !!!

The sun at the pool does get blocked in the late afternoon by the Krystal resort next door. (at least at this time of year, December). But again, get to the beach, the sand is wonderful and so is the service.

The food here is reasonable for resort prices but nothing special, we very much preferred the food at the Presidente IC than here at the Hyatt Regency.

We were given lounge access as a Diamond member, breakfast is ok with lox and fruit being served so I'm fine with that. They will not let anyone take food out of the lounge, even when there are no seats left, we saw many a person try. Taking waters or coffees out was not a problem. Part of the problem is that there are a$$holes who make a big deal about sharing their table. If you are sitting at a table for 4 and are only 2 people, we were amazed at the looks we got when we asked politely to sit down at the table. Most folks were welcoming but some just didn't get it. We of course offered our two extra seats to folks who were looking for a place to sit down. Thankfully the lounge wasn't as crowded say as the one in Waikiki, a couple of peak times but that was it. From 5-7pm there are some snacks and sweets served as well as free booze (beer & wine at least).

There is also a nasty sewer smell in the lowest level of the property, the level that one uses to get to the pool & beach. It was present everyday/all day, I'm amazed that the property let this smell exist.

Due to the club noise & room noise, we probably won't be staying at this property again, besides it is Cancun, once is enough IMO, time to travel elsewhere.

OceanBreezes, uggboy and TAHKUCT like this.
  4. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was there in early Oct, and while not in a suite, did have an oceanfront room (721) with the same view as the OP. Beautiful hotel, but my only issue was with PC/printer access. I did not have my pc with me and when I asked about printing out my boarding pass I was told I would have to use the pay pc's in the coffee shop, as they do not offer this type of service. First time I'd encountered that in a major chain hotel anywhere.

OceanBreezes, uggboy and TAHKUCT like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    due to InterContinental's crappy RA program where they don't offer benefits on award stays (yes there are some InterContinentals that do but the InterContinental Cozumel made it clear that we were going to get nada for our award stay), I canceled the IC Cozumel & booked the Hyatt Cancun again for 5 nights.

A couple things (good things) were very different about our stay this time.

While we didn't face the ocean directly like last year, we did face the ocean by overlooking the Dreams resort which is next to the Hyatt but further away from the horrid CocoBongo club that blares music into the wee hours, as a result, we did not have the loud music issues as we did last year. The only negative music issue this year was that on Fri, Sat & Sun, CocoBongo blares music from 10am on. Whatever happened to just listening to the waves crash the shore?!!???? Thankfully CocoBongo is far enough from the Hyatt that while the music is louder than I'd like it to be, it is muffled by the distance as well as the wind (if blowing in the right direction as it was during our stay).

Upon checkin, we were greeted with a nice surprise promo, basically buy $100 (or 150, 200, or 250) worth of food & bev, and get a 100% bonus. We were quite pleased with this promo, it was like having non-stop happy hour (which by the way Hyatt has eliminated their happy hour). Details & T&Cs of promo (which goes until Dec 20, 2012) are in photos below.

Attached Files:

OceanBreezes likes this.