Hyatt Regency - Boston

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by JLinCT, Dec 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JLinCT

JLinCT Member

Status Points:
    I am a new member here on Milepoint and as I was looking through the posts and the property list, it appears that nobody has reviewed the Hyatt Regency - Boston. There are reviews for both sister properties in Cambridge and by the airport. I am sure that those are both nice properties but why stay there when you can be right in the heart of the city. That is of course if you are going to Boston. Besides being just a couple blocks from the common and the public garden, about a 10 minute walk to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, less than a block to the opera house and China Town, the property itself is very nice. For being in the city, the rooms are quite large and extremely clean. The staff is amazing. Always bending over backwards to take care of the guests. Whenever I am in Boston, I stay there. When making reservations, I go right to the Hyatt site and I see the prices for the other properties as well. The prices are relatively the same. Sometimes a bit higher and sometimes a bit lower. I can only assume it is due to timing and current occupancy. The breakfast buffet is always great with many items to choose from including a different special egg dish each day and an omlet station where you can also have fresh made french toast and/or pancakes with many different fillings such as fresh berries or choc chips. For dinner, they always have a daily pasta and flatbread special and the prices are incredibly low. I think 20 for the pasta and 15 for the flatbread. And the toppings/fillings are not limited to inexpensive chicken. It could be beef, shrimp, scallops, and even fresh lobster. Not sure how they make money on these items. There is also a lobster/crab fondue which is also only about $15 which is quite impressive. Also ask to see the pre theater menu which comes with an appetizer, entre and dessert for only $33. The bartenders and wait staff are all great.
    As a diamond member I am usually upgraded to a nice suite. At least a corner suite. Depends on occupancy. But as mentioned, even the standard rooms are quite large.
    I'd like to hear from others who have stayed hear.

AttorneyVin, IDGflygirl and sendaiben like this.
  2. Hyatt Regency Boston

Hyatt Regency Boston Member

Status Points:
    JLinCT, thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your experiences at Hyatt Regency Boston! It’s so nice to hear that our location in downtown Boston and the quality of our restaurant help to create a positive stay. We are especially excited to know that the personal connections made with our associates, provide such a welcome environment. Most of all, we are proud that we were able to earn your loyalty as a returning guest. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you soon!

3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm on my second stay at the Hyatt Regency Boston.

I do not find this property to be so remarkable.

Things I like include a very nice full breakfast buffet and the proximity to Chinatown. I too have been upgraded to a Lafayette Suite on each stay.

Beyond that, I'm more reserved than the OP. The Lafayette Suites are clear at the other end of the hotel from the elevator. The gym is pretty tiny, especially for a hotel with 17 room floors, and it is so isolated (end of a hall, then three full flights of stairs) that one can get winded just walking there. Moreover, the reception is on the thrid floor, requiring entry on the ground floor, going down a small flight of stairs, then an elevator to get up to the reception. This evening, service gets a definite c-. I'm not a need to be pampered dude, but this trip, I've got a roller board, a fully stuffed laptop bag, a day pack and a suit bag, and some support would have gone appreciated. At the front door, there was no one to assist, and the stairs were a problem with so much luggage. After check in, where I clearly had a mess of luggage, there was no offer to assist (and, ironically, this is one of the rare occasions when I would have accepted). I've gone through the front door two more times since check in and in each instance, no one was at the front door. I had no luggage those two times, so no biggie for me, but when the first thing a guest must do upon arrival is to decend 5 or 6 stairs and the reception is still an elevator ride away, they really should overstaff the front door.

So, on balance, I still prefer the Harborside Hyatt at Logan, at least for those evenings when I arrive late in the evening.

RichardInSF likes this.
  4. Hyatt Regency Boston

Hyatt Regency Boston Member

Status Points:
    Jfhscott, I’m happy to hear that you enjoy our downtown location and the Avenue One restaurant breakfast buffet. I apologize that the bellman was unavailable to assist with your luggage. We schedule daily bellmen and doormen to aid our guests and can only assume they were assisting other customers. We hope that you will give us an opportunity to show you that customer service is our main concern. Please e-mail qualitybosto@hyatt.com with any additional comments.

5. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a dedicated Hyatt customer, as some may already know. It's been a while since I've stayed at this hotel but my impression was that it was minimally acceptable at best. My current Boston choice is the FS at the public gardens -- would like to give a thumb's up to this hotel but only if it has been recently renovated AND the renovation included the bathrooms. Also, are amenities still dispensed from wall mounted public lavatory-style thingies? Maybe the above poster can clarify the present situation.

6. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Toiletries are now in the cylindrical portico bottles with which many are familiar. I do not know when the most recent bathroom update occurred, but even though I found the bathroom unremarkable, I would never call it dated or in need of updating.

7. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

Made another stay in January, as it was four nights and had suite upgrades to burn, I used one. I inquired if there were any suites which were not at the end of the hall. There are a couple, and I received one. First, it was superior to the extent it was much closer to the elevator. Second, it was rectangular, and did not have to make maximum use of a triangular footprint, which makes the floorplan of most suites a bit odd. Third, it had a small balcony, which was somewhat shaded from the breeze. Even in January, I could wear flannel lounge pants and a fleece and enjoy a 6:00 a.m. cup of coffee there, and in the summer, it would provide even more utility. I think this suite had a bit more square footage as well. My advice on how to request it would be to request a suite near the elevator.

Also stayed a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time I was not upgraded to a suite. (In the past, I've always received UG's even without using a suite UG). I was assigned a corner room, near the elevator. I think I preferred it to the typical Lafayette Suite. It had good square footage, a more proper flow (no need to use a triangular floorplan), and a nice view.

I should also indicate that Diamond breakfast is excellent, with hot/cold buffet and an eggs and pancake station. Over the period of a week, the servers became familiar with my preferences, including that I prefer to receive my check upfront (no need to wait when not ordering a la carte).

Last, I recommend that anyone request that a cabbie drop them within the parking facility on Avenue de Lafayette. There is an area inside the garage prior to the place one takes a ticket for parking which essentially acts as a porte cochere. It is a bit closer to the elevators to the lobby, and avoids the stairs associated with the street level. Cabbies can exit without paying for use of the parking. It might even help for the Hyatt to post some sort of a sign indicating this option.

AttorneyVin likes this.
  8. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does the Hyatt Regency Boston have a Club? Don't see anything listed for booking a club room. I have an upcoming trip and torn between the Hyatt and the Intercontinental, I love the IC club and location but being new to Hyatt I would like to try something new in town..

9. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    No club, diamond breakfast is generous, however.

ballardFlyer and DJP_707 like this.
  10. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked out after one night at this property.

It's actually not a bad property, and it is located centrally in downtown, but it's "quirky" and does seem a little dated at this point.

There's ongoing construction on the ramp to the valet, but that's not a serious issue. You do still have to deal with the elevator to the lobby (on the third floor) then check in and another set of elevators to the room.

That means if there's an ongoing event (or wedding as there was yesterday) you might end up in several queues before you make it to your room -- or outside.

The fitness center and pool are located on 6 and are quite a walk to the elevator banks, with 3 sets of stairs to get there, which makes me wonder what the ADA has to say about it. Still, it's not a big deal to have a healthy walk before you exercise, I suppose :)

I had to ask if there were any upgrades available, but was indeed upgraded to a corner room on 15 -- what the front desk called a "junior suite" albeit I wouldn't necessarily call it that :)

There were a few odds and ends that show some neglect -- rusty vents in the shower, leaky fixtures, a remarkably old and busted looking door on the way to the fitness center, etc. But I wouldn't let that keep me from staying there in the future.

The club is still mysteriously closed (under construction they say) but you get the choice of full breakfast or the buffet (generally $24). The buffet is perfectly serviceable, with an omelette station and plenty of pastries and bread, oatmeal, bacon, etc.

I usually go for the full breakfast but the menu seemed to lack any real attractive options (no eggs benedict, no steak & eggs, etc) so I went for the buffet. Still, it was perfectly fine.

Parking is expensive as usual... With valet running $50 a night.

DJP_707 likes this.
  12. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review, I still have not stayed here. But may try it on my next trip.

13. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    actually booked this place to attend a business trip to Boston, but cancelled it to stay at an IHG hotel (a Holiday Inn which really didn't have many recent good reviews on TripAdvisor) instead to take advantage of the IHG Into The Nights promo..

14. AttorneyVin

AttorneyVin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any recent experiences here?

15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    My stay was just a couple of weeks ago at the end of September.

AttorneyVin likes this.
  16. AttorneyVin

AttorneyVin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes, sorry - I missed the date in your review! Thanks so much.