Hyatt Regency Bethesda - REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by tom911, Sep 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had two different stays here over the Labor Day weekend on prepaid rates. The first stay had me arriving at the counter at 2 in the morning via Metro from DCA, the latest I have ever arrived at a hotel. I had called earlier to alert them of a flight delay (was bumped at SFO) just to make sure they'd hold my room. Checked in at the counter, had Diamond amenities covered, and was sound asleep in a 9th floor king 30 minutes later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This property has breakfast items available in the lobby bar along a side wall. There is a refrigerator with bottled juices, yogurt, and fruit dishes, a separate case with a selection of bagels, pastries, doughnuts and muffins (and a toaster to the side), a wide selection of boxed individual cereals including Kashi cereals, hot oatmeal, fresh fruit (bananas, apples), and a case with sliced meats and cheeses. As you can see from this photo later in the day there is limited seating in this area. I did find a seat on both mornings, but could have brought some items up to my room if I needed to.

When I first walked in I really didn't know what they would have there, but after visiting twice I think there is enough for a good start to the day. They don't advertise it as a breakfast buffet (it's a continental breakfast), but they do seem to have quite a variety of items to choose from.

The food items would be along the wall to the left side of the bar:

[​IMG]

On my second stay I arrived at noon and was upgraded to a 5th floor suite with a view of the fountain and plaza in front of the hotel (the hotel is surrounded by office buildings). This room, in addition to a large sitting area, also had a patio with chairs. Only downside with this particular room was that the air conditioning unit was along the wall across from the bed. It came on and off during the night causing me to lose some sleep, and at 4a.m. I just turned it off. Should have done that when I went to bed. I should also note that the LCD TV is not viewable from the sitting area as it is mounted in an armoire best viewed from the bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

There is a wide variety of restaurants just two blocks away from the hotel in the area of Elm and Woodmont. These include American Tap Room, Jaleo (tapas), Mon Ami Gabis, Raku-An Asian Diner, Mamma Lucia, Vapiano (Italian) and Cafe Deluxe. The Irish Bar is also in this area. On the lower end there's a Baja Fresh and a Subway. On Old Georgetown Road, just outside the hotel to the left, there is a Safeway.

Yes, this hotel is a little bit out of D.C. compared to other properties, but it's literally atop a Metro station which could save some travel time. It's just a few Metro stops to the National Zoo making it very convenient for a visit there (free--look for the lion cubs--worth the visit just to see them). It took me 35 mins to get here from DCA with a short train connection to the Red Line.

More photos in the Hyatt gallery linked below.

3. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at this property in March and was rather disappointed. The front desk staff were very nice but the hotel is in sad shape. The pool area was not welcoming at all and the rooms are extremely dated. It was not up to the standards I expect in a Hyatt.

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two years later, I think this is still accurate.

My biggest disappointment was the diamond breakfast. Hyatts without a club typically provide full breakfast in the restaurant. This property actually has an exception in the Gold Passport fine print: "For stays at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, daily continental breakfast (tax and gratuity included) will be provided..." (Footnote 3 from http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/benefits/membership_diamond.jsp)

Indeed, that's all they offer. It's served from a take-away style buffet in a nook off of the lobby with paper plates, plastic utensils, and plastic cafeteria trays. All-in-all, not a classy nor tasty experience.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's not the most elegant or up to date Hyatt but our experiences there have been great. Our oldest lives in DC with his family and there is no room for us so this has become our go-to hotel. Tried the Sheraton in Silver Spring and it is totally unimpressive. The Hyatt people have all been exceptional. The front desk people are simply fabulous. Reached out to the Mr. Arbeeny, the General Manager after our first stay to let him know how impressed we were and he has also been a great resource. Yes, it's not the Park Hyatt and if you want to stay in the downtown DC area, there are some special places. But we'll keep going back the the HR Bethesda until my son adds a bedroom!

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.