Hyatt Regency Bandung

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by cennas, Jan 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bandung is the third largest city in Indonesia and located about 120 miles south east of the capital, Jakarta. The drive there took about 2 hours and it was quite scenic especially as we approached the city.

The hotel itself is located in the city center, just off the main drag and is linked to the city's first shopping mall. From the outside, the hotel appeared a bit run down and inside it was definitely showing its age. It has a John Portman-esque atrium lobby which must have looked stunning when it first opened.

We checked-in at the 13th floor Regency Club. There were 5 pax in our party and we had booked 2 rooms. I had thought of using points but seeing that the rate was very low (around USD50) decided to book all 2 nights as paid stays. We received a nice welcome from the Club staff and was told that both rooms had been upgraded to Club rooms, with one of the rooms receiving a further upgrade to a Club Deluxe room. The rooms weren't ready and we had to wait for about 45 minutes although we had arrived past the official check-in time.

The regular Club room was fairly large, though the furnishings were quite basic and showing their age. The bathroom was smallish with only a tub/shower combo, which was quite disappointing. The Club Deluxe room was very large, I thought it was almost the size of a Junior Suite at other hotels. It had an adjoining sitting area with an L-shaped sofa. In our case the sofa was set up as an additional bed.

There was no welcome letter and Diamond amenity when we entered the room, although shortly after, a staff delivered a Tiramisu cake. About an hour after we entered the room, a Guest Services officer called to make sure everything was ok and to check if we needed anything else.

The RC was probably the smallest one I've ever been to. It has a smoking area although I didn't have any problems with the smoke going into the main lounge area. The lounge staff was friendly and polite, although certainly not the most polished. They would smile and greet us as we entered the lounge and offered drinks, though never proactively offered seconds nor clearing the tables often.

Food offerings during happy hour were sparse and drinks were also very limited. They did have 2 hot items that we could order and the staff was proactively offering them. The lounge could get very busy as it was on our first night.

We were given an option to have breakfast at the restaurant downstairs and so we did. The spread was extensive. There were the usual Western breakfast items, an egg station, a waffle/pancake station, a juice bar, and little stations offering local Indonesian items which we enjoyed very much.

I didn't have a chance to check out the recreational facilities, although the pool looked quite basic. The hotel did feel more like a business hotel, although during our stay the guests were mostly families with hordes of screaming children. However, despite the high occupancy rate, the hotel didn't feel too crowded apart from during breakfast times and waiting for elevators in the morning.

Overall, I did enjoy my stay. I had stayed at all 5 Indonesian Hyatts in 2011 and while the experience here was nowhere near my best experience at the Bali Hyatt, the staff was certainly capable and overall service level was good. About a month before our arrival, a staff emailed me to confirm that I had booked 2 rooms and that they would pre-block rooms on the same floor for us. I replied and asked about upgrades, which was promptly answered to. Also on the day before our arrival, I received a personal welcome email from the Front Desk Manager and then a generic Thank You email on the day after we checked-out. These little touches were indeed nice. I would not hesitate to return again.

Some photos:

IMG-20111227-00905.jpg
    Looking down towards the lobby

IMG-20111227-00916.jpg
    Club Deluxe Room

IMG-20111227-00912.jpg
    Club Deluxe Room's sitting area with sofa set up as additional bed

IMG-20111227-00907.jpg
    Diamond amenity

IMG-20111227-00900.jpg
    Regency Club

IMG-20111227-00903.jpg
    Pool area as seen from the Club Lounge

2. lwkatya

lwkatya Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed review. I used to stay at this hotel often in the early 2000s, seems not much has changed. Thanks for bringing back a lot of memories :)

cennas likes this.
  3. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was tempted to stay here but now that I am a Hilton Gold member, I think I'll stick to Hilton Bandung. For me it's a lot fresher and more appealing than Hyatt. It looks like Hyatt Bandung is in desperate need of a renovation.

cennas likes this.
  4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't manage to check-out the Hilton but from photos it does look stunning and in a different league from the Hyatt. Except for the RC, the Hyatt did feel very dated all around, although I must say they did a pretty good job maintaining the property.

5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed here this week, and was pretty impressed with the staff. Used a 2011 diamond upgrade that was expiring, and got a nice suite.

A nice room, with dining room and nice sofa, with two end chairs. Daily papers (usually Jakarta paper, but got an Indonesian one for one day).

A very good breakfast restaurant. Senior staff proactive with asking if we wanted stuff off the menu, special juices and the like. On Sunday their is dim sum in the Chinese restaurant for breakfast, which you can also choose. I had asked for some shrimp dim sum, which they didn't have, but they brought me a whole order of deep fried shrimp with mayonnaise, one of my favorites.

As far as I can tell, everything Halal, so no pork for you!

Largest negative was the evening lounge. Didn't always restock items, and the hot items were way subpar. The spring rolls were quite bad.

Excellent Club desk service, too. The bill was perfect, and internet was pretty good for Indonesia. I paid about $90 with tax/service, using the Costco code.