Hyatt Regency Albuquerque - REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by tom911, Aug 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just home from two nights at this property. Upon arrival I was upgraded to a junior suite on the 20th (top) floor with a view towards the west . Great location to watch a lightning storm out over the desert on my second night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The typical hotel breakfast buffet was not offered this week as they were under 50% occupancy. At breakfast there were only 3-4 tables occupied each morning so clearly I hit the property during a slow week. First morning I had the breakfast burrito which included scrambled eggs and was topped with red and green chile sauces. Biggest burrito I've ever had and it was very tasty (sorry, didn't have the camera along or I would have taken a photo). If you only have one day for breakfast this is what you should order as it is a house specialty. Second morning I had pancakes. There are a variety of egg dishes as well as oatmeal and cereals on their menu. Restaurant has big glass windows overlooking a pedestrian area to the side and the street to the front. Most entrees for breakfast are priced at $11-12.

Did take a look at the pool on the third floor but did not use it. It was certainly warm enough during my stay with afternoon highs around 96F (it really is a dry heat—walked around for miles). Lobby has a Keva juice and Starbucks. As part of my Diamond benefits the hotel offered a free beverage at Starbucks in the morning. I did not take advantage of that.

[​IMG]

Both breakfast and wifi had been removed from the bill when I checked out (had a prepaid rate).

Two blocks away from the hotel, on Central Avenue, there are about 3 blocks of restaurants and cafes. One of them, BRGR, features burgers made from yak, kangaroo, rabbit, lamb, or beef. I had a beef burger coated in red chili pepper, along with a big plate of cole slaw and a pint of their amber ale, and the total bill was $11. The next block down there's a New York style pizza place that offers a slice, salad and a pint of beer for $7.50.Ther's also some great murals scattered around that area.

[​IMG]

The Alvarado transit center is also nearby for the 20 minute / $1 bus ride to/from the airport.There's a movie complex across the street from it. Old Town is just over a mile away (I just walked over there) and the zoo, in a different direction, about half a mile. I did notice the New Mexico Rail Runner train service to Santa Fe (1 hour 40 mins) at the transit center and this is something I would add onto a future visit.

Enjoyed my first time in Albuquerque and do intend to go back. More hotel and city photos linked below.

2. sealiz
    Original Member

sealiz Silver Member

Status Points:

uggboy likes this.
  3. sealiz
    Original Member

sealiz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great pics and nice report. New Mexico has always been one of my favorite places! Many years ago I learned that Las Vegas, NM is NOTHING like Las Vegas NV :) The pics of the murals is very cool!

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent review, thanks for all the photos and insights!:)