Hyatt Place

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Thomask, Jan 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made a reservation at a Hyatt Place Hotel in Chicago. I have never stayed at one. What is the difference to PH, GH, HR's?

Is there a lounge? Is there complimentary breakfast for up to 4 people in the room?

I am GP Diamond.

Thanks for your advise and experience upfront.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's a big difference between a Hyatt Place and the other brands you mention above.

For starters, HP is a limited service property. The new construction versions are quite nice for limited service, but it's still not a full service hotel.

There are no lounges but there is a complimentary breakfast and it's quite nice by limited service standards with multiple hot rotating menu items. It's more extensive than most lounge breakfasts at HR properties in the US.

You'll find a nice, clean room with a decent bathroom and updated in-room amenties/wifi/electrical outlets, a small but newly outfitted gym and a pool/hot tub.

Happy to answer other questions.

WhiteDesert, Thomask and uggboy like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only stayed at one in all my travels but while it's not up to par with a full service property you can definitely expect a decent enough hotel.

You won't find the grand entrance and valet parking, but generally that's also a good thing as parking tends to be free or very cheap. I'd equate it more with a Candlewood Suites or even HI Express on the IHG side.

Thomask and uggboy like this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thomask and uggboy like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at many HPs during my tenure as a Hyatt loyalist. I generally like them. But in recent years I have found them to be more expensive than other chains' properties in the same category, so I have not stayed at one in about two years.

Thomask, viguera and uggboy like this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    HP rooms are suite-like in that there's an area with refrigerator, sink, and coffee maker, a desk,a sofa sitting area, and then a bedroom area separated by a small partial wall. The TV is mounted to be viewable from both areas and can be angled a bit. Typically there's another sink in a dressing area outside of the bathroom, which contains a toilet and usually just a shower in the newly build HPs.

The front desk staff also handle 24 hour food and beverage sales, mostly wrapped "grab and go" cold items, including some good pastries if you miss breakfast, but IIRC you can also get things like hot pizza and espresso. In fact, in many HPs, you can order food from your room and they'll call when it's ready.

WhiteDesert and Thomask like this.
  7. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't require fancy digs, HPs are my go to when I can. Rooms are large and comfy and the breakfast is more than enough and well beyond the "continental" muffins and danishes imo. My last stay I had a friend sleep on the pull out sleeper. She was comfy and enjoyed her free breakfast as well. Breakfast is not in the room. You must go hang with the common folk.:)

8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check your AMEX card for offers - you might have a $50 back when spending $150 at any HP: http://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/great-deal-50-back-on-150-hyatt-place-stays/

flyingdawg and Thomask like this.
  9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  10. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have since stayed. I found the HP rooms comfy and spacious. The breakfast buffet was more like a Holiday Inn Express, except that the HP used porcelain plates and silver ware. (HIE uses plastic) One had to get plates/silverware though and clean up afterwards. That kind of procedure reminds me of a fast food restaurant. Breakfast service hour finished at 9am. Fine if you have to go to work, I was visiting and would have liked my breakfast a little later.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The HP in Waikiki is actually quite nice.

12. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Late to this thread, but HP Chicago is not a typical HP property acquired from AmeriSuites. It's a new hotel, in a multi-story building and a prime Chicago location, and while limited service concept still applies (i.e., no room service or dedicated concierge), the number of great restaurants nearby makes a hotel restaurant completely unnecessary.

13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    With all the new construction, there are many HPs that don't resemble AmeriSuites. I regard that as positive.

14. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing I'll add is that in the few I've stayed in do not have central a/c and heating. They have a unit next to the window near the bed. In my experience they are too loud and could possibly interfere with getting to sleep.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but the worst are the older ones that Hyatt purchased from some other hotel group. They can be nasty and were obviously cheaply constructed.