Hyatt Place, Washington, D.C. - review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by tom911, Nov 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Needed a Thursday night stay in the D.C. area and with a $95 AAA rate this property met the criteria. My usual locations priced significantly higher than that.

Took Red Line Metro to the NoMa-Gallaudet station and the hotel is two long blocks up from there. You'll easily see it from the train station platform. The large building on the right is ATF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hotel did honor my profile for "high floor, away from elevator". I was at the end of the 12th floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The area appears in the midst of redevelopment with some demolition across the street from my room, but newer buildings in the area, including a Hilton Garden Inn and a Courtyard by Marriott. Food options appeared pretty limited from a look at Google maps at 9pm: McDonalds, Wendys, or Five Guys. I saw a Pot Belly deli but it closes at 7pm weeknights and even earlier on weekends. I ended up at the Wendys which has a security guard on duty inside the entry door.

View from my room:

[​IMG]

You do get used to sirens in this area (reminded me a lot of my stay at Hyatt Magnificent Mile). Was only awakened once during the night, though, so maybe they quiet things down after midnight.

This is the second Hyatt Place I've been to this month with the new sofas-- much nicer than what they had before.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Went down for breakfast at 8:30a.m. (they stop serving at 9 weekdays) and it was crowded. I ended up at the bar with people seated on both sides of me. They did have waffles as well as two kinds of breakfast sandwiches (I selected the biscuit with a fried egg and sausage). By 8:45 a lot of people had moved on and it made it easier to move around.

[​IMG]

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    $95? Wow.

Newscience likes this.
  4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed locally at the HP in White Plains, not far from HPN. I like these properties very much.

5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt tends to have some really good winter weekend rates in D.C, so adding on a Thursday was nice and award flights readily available. The Grand Hyatt was $90 this weekend (didn't stay there as taxes run less on the Virginia side), and I had stays in Crystal City ($80) and Arlington ($72). As a Diamond, though, full-service hotels provide either a lounge or restaurant breakfast (Grand Hyatt is lounge while the other two are restaurant), plus I get 1,000 points as my Diamond amenity versus 500 at a Hyatt Place, so I tend to lean towards the full service properties when prices are similar. Hyatt Place was clearly the winner on price Thursday.

Avoided the rain here all weekend and it finally came in as I left dinner at 6:45pm. It was forecast to come in at 7, so they do a pretty decent job of predicting when the rain will arrive here.

6. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tom you are very correct about the area where this hotel is located. It is very much in transition. Food options are limited after the office workers leave and I would not walk very far from this hotel except to the Metro, a close restaurant or Union Station. The areas beyond this neighborhood have a way to go.

tom911 likes this.
  7. NJUPINTHEAIR
    Original Member

NJUPINTHEAIR Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review, Tom.

Would anyone know if am asking for trouble by parking my old convertible on the street for an overnight?

Thanks,

NJ