Hyatt Place vs Aloft

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by seaflyguy, Feb 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    So when Hyatt Place launched, I was really taken with it. It seemed like the best choice for a upper-low-end hotel (or should that be lower-mid-range hotel?) -- much preferable to Courtyards and Garden Inns. Hyatt Place didn't feel like "less", it felt "different". I liked the hotels, started staying in them a lot, and have been Diamond since.

But now I've stayed in a couple of Alofts and I have to say that while I don't think the concept is perfect, they're spoiling me.

• HPs usually have tiny workout rooms -- one elliptical, two treadmills, and a stationary bicycle in a claustrophobic room. Alofts are much, much nicer, and have some actual strength equipment.
    • The "bar" at HPs is just a place to get a drink if you're staying there. I had a friend join me at an Aloft bar and we agreed it was actually a cool place, someplace we'd happily go.
    • The bathrooms in Hyatt Places are tiny -- I've been in tub/toilet rooms where one could barely close the door. Alofts are quite nice and have the frosted windows to let light into the shower. And the showers are tiled.
    I realize there are disadvantages to Aloft -- notably the lack of a free breakfast -- but how do others feel about this? Is HP in need of some updating to remain competitive?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'v never stayed at an Aloft - how do they compare price-wise? Free internet?

3. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would tend to agree with the OP overall. Alofts are specificallybuilt as such and target audience is W wannabes generally in suburban locations.

HPs are for the most part renovated Amerisuites which were a lower end property. I'm not sure what could really be done to upgrade these properties. The signature feature is the huge TV. I have not stayed in a purpose built HP but my impression is that they are pretty similar.

I would also agree that HP and aloft are competitors price wise as well as locations.

travelingmore and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    The main reason I prefer Hyatt Place over Aloft is the size of the room. The room is much more comfortable at Hyatt Place with a small table, kitchen sink and refrigerator and microwave.

I find the room at Aloft too cramped. There is no seating in the typical Aloft room aside from the desk chair. Hyatt Place has an extra large couch and basically all rooms are junior suite size.

Aloft is cool for going to the bar, but I prefer to sleep at a Hyatt Place.

They are both cookie cutter hotels that require looking out the room window to even remember what city you are staying.

Kalboz, flyingdawg and travelingmore like this.
  5. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that HP has larger rooms, and that's their best feature. The lack of a couch, or of any seating other than the desk chair, really limits your options for relaxing in an Aloft room -- it's the bed and that's it.

I don't miss the kitchen sink or microwave of HP -- I rarely use the former and never the latter. The Alofts I've been to have mini-fridges comparable to HP.

As for the cookie-cutter nature, yes, you're right. But if you're looking to stay at a low-mid-range hotel ($90-110/night in most US locations), it's hard to think of what would be better than HP or Aloft. They've completely supplanted Marriott Courtyard and Hilton Garden Inn in my book.

One thing HP could do fairly easily is improve their fitness centers. Those cramped, uninviting rooms could easily be extended by taking over a regular room and made brighter by adding large interior and exterior windows. I'm not saying they should be competitive with Hyatt StayFit gyms, but they should be competitive with Aloft. I'd also advise Hyatt, when building new HPs, to make the toilet/tub rooms slightly larger. I stayed at the new HP in Madison, Wisconsin, and seriously, you had to contort yourself or get into the shower to close the bathroom door. Not good.

flyingdawg likes this.
  6. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I've seen, Alofts and HPs are usually within $10-20 on price. They both have free Wi-Fi in the rooms.

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    love this description, quite true.
    agreed, the bed is much more comfortable at an HP than Aloft IMO. Plus I've entertained family or clients in my HP room as the L shaped couch and big TV is a great feature. I don't drink much when on the road, especially with suburban W wannabes[​IMG] and if I do have a drink, the locals pub/bar down the street is where I'd rather be.

flyingdawg and travelingmore like this.
  8. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my area and in my travels, I see more Alofts than Hyatt Places. I have stayed at both, and prefer HP for some the reasons mentioned: larger room with a living room type of space with couch and larger desk, sink and counter; free breakfast; less noise/late night partyers who may be drawn to the bar and marketing for the Aloft niche. For SPG promotions, I'll consider the Aloft but not my first choice.

9. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never felt "hip" enough for Aloft.

arkleseizure and travelingmore like this.
  10. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed a couple of HPs that had huge workout rooms, one specifically north of Nashville (Hendersonville?). So there may some variance across the chain regarding this. I perfer the larger room with couch and desk that HPs have. And I'm not fond of the sinks in Alofts. Something about using those things when I shave and I have water flying everywhere. I find the service to be much more attentive at all Hyatt properties than SPG properties even at these lower end brand locations. When I've stayed at an Aloft I've arrived at a hip hotel. When I stay at HP I bring the hip. [​IMG]

travelingmore likes this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    forgot about this aspect, I did not like shaving at Alofts either

flyingdawg likes this.
  12. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find the rooms at Aloft to be a bit too small. And if you need to turn the AC on, there's no place to sit while the room cools down as the bed is right in front of the AC unit. (That's the case at HP as well, but the seating area is usually on the other side of the room).

That being said, I won't pass up the Aloft if it's much cheaper than the HP and whatever HGI/Hampton is nearby. Some HPs have gotten stupid expensive lately - MKE comes to mind.

13. bigguyinpasadena
    Original Member

bigguyinpasadena Active Member

Status Points:
    I have yet to stay at a build from scratch Hyatt Place. The three I have stayed in are all Amerisuites conversions.
    With that said I do prefer the Hyatt Place rooms to the Aloft rooms.
    I have only stayed at one Aloft(Rancho Cacamundo) which is on my never again(well not if I plan on sleeping there)list.

flyingdawg likes this.
  14. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to have you here bigguyinpasadena. I prefer HP as well. I've stayed a both new HPs and converted AmeriSuites and the room layout is almost identical. I can't recall any noticeable difference between the two. It does seem like one new HP build I stayed at (maybe SLC) had a full size shower instead of a bathtub. I could be mixing something up though. Too many hotel nights lead to a foggy memory. :rolleyes:

15. The free breakfast at HP is so underwhelming that we usually skip it. But the bigger rooms are lovely. I'm noticing more and more, in more places, that the HPs are starting to look a bit dingy. Those sofas especially tend to get saggy. Didn't take long.

seaflyguy and travelingmore like this.
  16. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've only stayed at an aloft once. I did not like it at all. Room was tiny, no love for Platinums and noise issues. Hyatt Place is much better.

arkleseizure and flyingdawg like this.
  17. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some HPs do seem to have shower only -- one we checked into gave us a key and when I saw the shower I came back downstairs and the Desk Clerk grabbed several keys and we prowled around and found that there were a few with baths -- no apparent pattern except, I think maybe, bed size? (Bigger bed, less room for bathroom?) Anyway, all was well because she found me a room with a bathtub. I'm one of those who really looks forward to a bath at the end of a long trip or day, and even the snazziest shower just doesn't cut it.

flyingdawg likes this.
  18. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well it seems like many properties are going shower only. Andaz West Hollywood is all showers (even in suites with the possible exception of the Sunset suite). Same thing with Andaz 5th Ave (except for the Splash suites and above?)

19. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The noise issue is interesting. I've stayed at a few Alofts now (many more HPs, just given that they've been around longer) and had a serious issue with noise my first time. I was at an Aloft, second or third floor, well down the hallway from the elevators, but could hear noise every single time they ran. It was as if there was an air vent or a pipe that ran from the elevator (or elevator machinery) straight to my room. To their credit, they moved me, though the front desk clerk seemed to think I was on crack. I haven't had the problem at another Aloft.

20. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not been impressed with Aloft, each one I have stayed in is the size of a standard room one would find in SF, NY, CHI, etc. even in PHX and DFW where room sizes are generally larger IMO.

21. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed about the dinginess and sagginess. Those sofas don't look so great now. When they replace them, they need to go for a more durable construction.

22. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a big fan of HP. I've only had one stay at an Aloft. I thought the room we had was nice and large (especially the bathroom / shower), but we stayed near the elevator and the noise from the elevator was horrendous. I think they might need to rethink the design of their elevator systems. Aside from that, I think the Aloft would be a great option.

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of elevators, they seem to be the slowest on planet earth at all the HPs I have been to.

24. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at one built from scratch HP (actually it's a conversion from I think a medical professional building, in Madison WI). A couple of the corner rooms had a different layout with a little smaller seating area, the rest were similar to the standard HP except with just the shower.

25. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had mixed feelings about the Aloft brand. It almost feels like a university dormitory and the hotels are so similar to each other. I'm concerned that with a little wear, the cheap modern furnishings will soon look old and worn. Nevertheless, I haven't personally experienced noise issues and I've usually received some sort of surprise little Platinum gift, such as a Starbucks drink, sometimes with an handwritten note from the front desk staff. I like the way many of them have arranged for "room service" from an interesting nearby restaurant.

To me, it seems that HP is aiming for a different demographic, young business travelers rather than young hip high-tech types as at aloft, definitely W wannabes.