Hyatt Place Midtown Manhattan - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by tom911, Jan 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arrived here last night after SMF-LAX-JFK on AA, followed by Airtrain and E train into Manhattan where I exited at 34th Street and walked to the hotel just off Avenue of the America and West 36th. Glad I had the gloves and winter parka along as it was 23F on arrival. Surprisingly, this hotel is right next to the Holiday Inn Express I stayed at just over a year ago. Was probably still under construction then.

[​IMG]

Lobby area:

[​IMG]

Warm greeting on my 10pm arrival and was given a room on the 24th floor (hotel has 26).
    You do notice the sirens, a mainstay of any Manhattan visit, but seemed to be able to tune them out and get to sleep. I have a very good 3A rate of $116 + tax for this stay.

[​IMG]

Daytime view from my room:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    karung99, uggboy and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Breakfast was typical Hyatt place: eggs whites on bagels, waffles, oatmeal, and an assortment of cereals and bread/English muffins/bagels/doughnuts and small pastries. I was down for breakfast at 0815 and had a wide selection of seats, but by 0830 the food area was getting crowded. Still enough seats left so no one had to take a plate to their room (had that issue at the Holiday Inn Express when I was there). On weekdays the service ends at 0900. The seating area is at lobby level and there is also a bar in the seating area that probably gets some use at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checked out after 1100 and applied a Hyatt e-card without any problems.

More photos in my Hyatt gallery:
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/Hotels/Hyatt-Hotels

uggboy, viguera and Newscience like this.
  3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tomorrow, that will feel like summer. High of 20 on Thursday. If you're out and about early, it will be 9F at 0700.

uggboy and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know WD X.5 is not yours, but are you at least ordering a something a bit toastier for my arrival?

uggboy and (deleted member) like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the local CBS news on this morning and they reported exactly 9F, but the killer was the wind chill bringing it down to 0F. I'll have the thermals on today to stay extra warm. :) Do want to visit the ice rink in Central Park.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here 28 Dec to 1 Jan. If you are a craft beer lover, the Ginger Man and Rattle 'N Hum are close by.

7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This cryptix message refers to WineDo 7.5 that will take place in NYC in a few weeks. Info on the Community forum on Flyertalk.

By toastier are you referring to yeast in the Champagne, or the warm weather. ;)

IDGflygirl likes this.
  8. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tom, great review and how did you manage to get excellent 3A rate?

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had originally booked two nights at Hyatt Herald Square at a refundable $134 rate and just the one night (Thursday) at Hyatt Place which had the $116 rate. About 4 days out from my first stay, rates dropped again to $116 3A at both properties so rebooked the first two nights and split them into two stays. I talked to one of the counter agents who said Dec-Jan always have good rates. I knew about December from prior stays, particularly the 7-10 days before Christmas, but didn't know that there were good prices in January. Will keep this in mind for 2016. Apparently the same ownership group controls both properties per that same agent.

Tom on AA 1 over Grand Island, Nebraska

IDGflygirl likes this.
  10. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tom, that is a good reminder to always check the rate again a few days before you check in.

Thanks,
    Karung99