Hyatt on the Bund Shanghai Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by TRAVELSIG, Oct 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am at the hotel now- and have not been here for a while so thought it would be a good time for a milepoint review (it appears there are not any as of yet- just mentioned in other threads).

Firstly- location- "on the bund" is a bit of a marketing stretch- this being said- it is not too far of a walk at all towards the centre and as long as the weather is good it is very pleasant along the "promenade". A good way to understand where it is- if at night you are standing on the Bund looking directly towards Pudong- if you look to your left you will see some neon signs up the river a bit- the hotel is very close to the sign for Abbott. The last points about location are that it is better than a Pudong location unless you need to be in Pudong for work- and be sure to have directions well printed out as invariably drivers have trouble finding this place.

Secondly- checkin- this is a very large hotel (over 600 rooms) and it seems that at some times of day (i.e. around 14:00-15:00 when many people arrive for checkin time) the hotel only has a couple of people on the front desk. Anyway- it was not that long of a wait- and they mentioned that the credit card machines were very slow today and that was slowing them down. As with many hotels in Shanghai- don't expect a "Welcome back Mr. Travelsig" or even as they have taped on the keyboard in large block letters "Is there anything else I can do for you?". Checkin was relatively efficient however and both rooms I had booked were upgraded which they really didn't have to do- a very nice gesture.

Thirdly- the view here is really nice- you are right on the river- the view at the other hotels are also nice (Grand Hyatt, Park Hyatt) but the view here is much better. I also like the rooms here quite a bit- they remind me a lot of the Andaz which is another nice property to get to if you can stand the traffic to get in/out of Xiantindi (it is not pretty).

Fourthly- the Internet is very fast- unlike some hotels in Shanghai however no VPN directly into HK so you won't get connections to Facebook and similar types of software unless you use your own VPN- this is true with most hotels in Shanghai also. Diamond member is free of course- otherwise it is 120 RMB which is I do believe the highest charge I have seen anywhere in China.

The restaurants in the hotel are also good (not standout but good) and the staff for the most part are friendly. One note for light sleepers is that the Bund location does mean you will here some noise from ships on the river- if this bothers you perhaps better to opt for another option- I find this part of the charm of the hotel however. This is still one of the hotels I prefer Overall in Shanghai if I am going to stay right in the centre.

cennas, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    One final comment- the bar Vue is wonderful with a great view of all of Shanghai and Pudong. Definitely recommended.

Kalboz, cennas and uggboy like this.
  3. wanymayold

wanymayold Active Member

Status Points:
    The "on the bund" is actually correct.
    It is the north bund which is much less famous.
    The area might not be as great as the bund, but it is already much better than what it used to be five years ago. Other massive development plans are also undergoing in the area.

Kalboz, uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  4. tornadoflyer

tornadoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fabulous city and well worth a visit!!:) Must go again before too long!

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The area is certainly developing very quickly. If someone thinks however they are staying in the same location as the Peace Hotel it could be a tad confusing. I personally don't mind the walk.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review! This is just timely as I'm staying there next month.

Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy. Print out directions if you are taking a taxi there or going with a driver who is unfamiliar- many cab drivers have no idea where this hotel is (or worse- the wrong idea). Otherwise use the excellent ipad app "Shanghai Taxi".

Kalboz and cennas like this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like some good news is on the way regarding the Internet charges- this is a personal and well thought out response from hotel management- this alone is making me choose this hotel again in November- I am impressed:

"Regarding the internet charge, we are collecting guests' comments and a new policy is under discussion by hotel management, please do allow us some more time for further positive changes."

9. Masonic Phantom

Masonic Phantom Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have stayed at the Hyatt on the Bund suite 1206..the Bund wins hands down for view from this suite.... if you wish to take in the lights of Shanghai..... look no futher.
    The Masonic Phantom.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014