Hyatt Newport (Rhode Island) Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by car0129, Apr 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. car0129

car0129 New Member

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Newport, RI for a 3 night paid stay and thought I would provide a review of the property.

- The location is nice on Goat Island. Fairly convenient to downtown shops/restaurants, but it does help to have a car. Many pretty views of the water and bridge.
    - Staff was friendly and nice. Front desk seemed to try to accomodate requests (the made a special diamond amenity for my child).
    - Diamond breakfast is a full breakfast buffet - very good.

-The property shows a decent bit of wear and tear. The lobby is extremely small and can feel crowded if the hotel is fairly full since the main "hang out" area of the hotel is around the lobby.
    - The hotel had noise issues. I know noise can be a problem in a hotel, but this was probably one of the worst places I have stayed as far as noise. You could hear ANYTHING from the hallway or from the rooms nearby (even if people were talking at normal volume levels).
    - Standard suites for the diamond confirmed suite upgrades are ok. Initally I was placed in a Captains Quarters bi-level suite. Nothing really bad or really great about it. Just one of those suites that was functionally fine but nothing to get excited about. The living room was upstairs and very small. Downstairs was the bedroom. There was a bathroom upstairs and downstairs. We changed to a Junior Suite after the first night so we didn't have the stair hazard with a young child. The Junior suite was ok as well...nothing exciting. Only one bathroom. The living room and bedroom were separated by french doors. The bi-level suite only had one small window in the bedroom so the room was VERY dark, didn't like that. The Junior Suite had more windows which helped with the brightness of the room. Both suites though seemed to show wear and tear and felt dated.
    - Housekeeping wasn't responsive at all to requests for room cleanings.

Overall, I would say the hotel was ok. I wouldn't pay too high of a rate to stay here, wouldn't be worth it. I also would probably not use a suite upgrade at this property since I think there are better options than this one with nicer rooms.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Thanks for sharing your review on MP!:)
  3. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Welcome to MP car0129!
  4. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Hyatt regency Newport, RI (REVIEW)
    (August 2012)

What is your Hyatt status?

None – (My MP Premium upgrade to platinum Hyatt hasn’t posted yet)

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Yes, arrived at 1pm, valet took the car, ($5 per day or you can walk to self park) front desk check was very nice, confirmed my rate Gov. (Never asked for ID) Went over with me my standby upgrade, to a suite. However suite was two double beds instead of king. I accepted even though I would prefer a king. He then got to the resort fee which he said was waived for gov. rate, and free internet and free breakfast was included in the rate. Then said they were still cleaning the room and it would ready shortly. Went to the pool for about an hour and no call so I went to desk to see if it was ready and was told it was ready and asked if I had been called. She seemed confused they never called to tell me the room was ready.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

The cheapest flex rate at this hotel the week I was traveling was showing at $399, and up if you wanted a water view ($469) or suite ($519). I booked a standard King with a government rate ($149). This was my first Hyatt stay, and I read the threads on how Hyatt is very strict about checking ID on special rates, I have government ID so I was not worried. During my reservation I was offered Estandby for a water view at $29 fee or a suite at $69 fee. I choose both. Also during confirmation was informed of a $35 per day resort fee.

How are the rooms?

Nicely appointed, good views, very quiet. Nothing special I guess I expected more from a Hyatt Regency and $400 rates. Most IC’s I usually stay are a lot nicer. This hotel is a little worn and about one step up from Holiday Inn.

What was your welcome gift?

None- (No status)

Did you receive fruit/water in the room?

We got two free bottles of water each day.

How is the exec. lounge?

No lounge.

What was good?

·The view was nice.
    ·Free internet, bottle water, Fridge, two large 48” Lcd Tv’s 2 full baths with showers.
    ·Turn down service, got chocolates, and maid changed out towels and left more toiletries.
    ·The beds are super comfy and plenty of pillows, and room was dark.

What was bad?

Nothing really, place was OK.
    Bathrooms, showers are pretty bland cold use an upgrade, maybe better shower heads, rainfall etc.. Also if you don't close the bathroom door the smoke alarm right outside the door goes off when you take a shower.

Value for $ or Points?
    Got a $500 suite for $149 plus $69 upgrade total of $218 a night plus tax. And $5 parking per day, Free internet, free $38 breakfast for two. Free Breakfast coupon was very clear that it could not be used for room Service.

Would you return?
    Maybe if the price was right.

To see the rest of the room pictures click here!

OceanBreezes and tommy777 like this.
  5. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

UPDATE to Above review:

After filling out my Hyatt Guest Survey, I received the following email from the Hyatt Regency Newport.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX:

I am in receipt of your Guest Satisfaction Survey forwarded to me by Hyatt Hotels Corporation.

While I was pleased to read that your ratings overall were quite high, I sincerely apologize for the malfunctioning smoke detector which has since been replaced. I also apologize that service at our outdoor pool was unsatisfactory. Feedback like this is very important to us as it makes us aware where we need to make improvements.

It was a pleasure hosting you Mr. XXXXXXXXX and hope you have the opportunity to return again in the near future.

John XXXXX
    General Manager
    Hyatt Regency Newport Hotel & Spa
    OceanBreezes likes this.
  6. JLinCT

JLinCT Member

My wife and I just stayed at that property and we were quite happy. We were upgraded (because of diamond status) to a bi-level suite which we loved and it was at the end of the hall so it was nice and quiet. The bedroom was upstairs and living room downstairs. With a nice balcony with a view of the lighthouse and bridge. I agree that the property itself could use some upgrades but I understand that they just spent a fortune on repairing the sinking island. I think we will be staying there again next year.