Hyatt Newbie - Struggling with Airport Properties

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by DestinationDavid, Sep 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I signed up with Hyatt about a month ago and have slowly been attempting to start using the program.

I've had success when I've stayed within the city limits, but I'd say approximately 40% of my hotel stays are near airport properties. My next two trips are into LAX and LHR where I'll need to stay near the airport, and I seem to have run into problems booking with Hyatt at locations near the airport.

LAX seems to have a Summerfield Suites, but the property seems a bit removed from the airport and has no shuttle. LHR seems to indicate that i'm SOL if I want to stay with Hyatt unless I head into the city itself.

So Hyatt sages, is this a common issue? Is Hyatt not a strong airport property hotel? From what I can tell online it's one of the smaller international chains in terms of rooms and properties. Do you often run into issues finding a place to stay vs Hilton/Marriot/IHG/Starwood?

Feedback would be much appreciated, as would strategies and suggestions. :)

RichardInSF and flyingdawg like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think a lot of us have backup alliances for when Hyatt doesn't work, or their properties, in my case, are just too expensive. Although Hyatt does have two London properties, neither is anywhere near either Heathrow or Gatwick airport. Andaz, where I've stayed before on an award, is atop Liverpool Station.

Priority Club is my backup chain in those cases (came in real handy for 8 award nights during the Olympics in London). I tried Hilton for two years but just didn't see the return I'm getting in points/reward nights with Priority Club's presence in Europe. In places like London or Berlin they have hotels all over the place. Even two properties very close to the Dublin airport with a full-sized bus shuttle.

Hyatt does have a nice property just outside SFO with its own shuttle should you get up here. If you went up to Seattle, though, you'd be dealing with downtown properties, or properties in other cities as Redmond which isn't too far away but certainly not an airport property, as there's nothing near the airport there. BOS also has an airport property and there are two close to ORD.

One thing to keep in mind with Heathrow properties is that the hotels there do not run their own individual shuttles. You'll pay a couple pounds for a consolidated shuttle service (each way). One workaround is to stay at a hotel in the free transit zone. The Holiday Inn at Bath and Sipson Road is one of those, allowing free transit on route 105 to and from the airport. Bus station is atop T1 at LHR.

uggboy, sobore and Toula like this.
  3. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    -1 for Hyatt at LAX.
    You would think they would have a decent property.
    And at least a shuttle.

SPG is great by LAX.

uggboy, Quasiconvexity and Toula like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I believe SPG will be my backup program. I already have a few points in that program, and the Sheraton at LAX isn't a bad property at all.

And I agree about the LAX comment, I was a bit surprised there was nothing on the main drag by Hyatt, the approach into LAX is like a showcase of US hotel brands and Hyatt is noticeably absent.

Thanks for the tips Tom. Sadly I'm ORD based so I have little use of the 2 in ORD. Not in SFO or BOS ever (so far, who knows what 2012 will bring!), so no help there either. I'll be in IST just after LHR and Hyatt only has a single property and I believe the cost might be prohibitive to me there as well. Having a back up is a good idea, especially for a hotel program.

I'm still not 100% sure hotel loyalty is for me, but I want to give it a try for a year and see if I change my mind. If things don't work out, I'll go back to my Priceline and/or cheapest 4/5 star strategy.

flyingdawg, uggboy and NYBanker like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the right way to think about it.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also remember, outside the USA there is a distinct lack of Hyatt properties and "lower cost" Hyatt properties.

Compared to ICHG or even Hilton, Hyatt have very low coverage.

I used to be a Hyatt Plat, but I just wasn't getting the stays in. I've therefore resorted to switching ICHG for most of my "stays" except in Chicago - where I need to be at one of the Hyatt's there.

Quasiconvexity, flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  7. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There are two Hyatts in IST (Grand and Park). I've never stayed at the Grand but was at the Park in June. Very nice "boutiquey" property with excellent Diamond recognition - usual upgrade for a Diamond is to a Spa King with a huge bathroom with its own steam room. But yes, the cost is pretty high - I used points.

flyingdawg, uggboy and Quasiconvexity like this.
  8. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the above description of the Park Hyatt in IST. Had a great breakfast there every day as well - plus the neighborhood has lots of interesting cafes. Neither Hyatt is close to the airport - the Sheraton Atakoy is somewhat closer but is still not an airport property. I spent one night near the airport at the Courtyard and it was a perfectly good property that I would recommend for an airport stay.

uggboy likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When I searched last night and this AM only the Park Hyatt showed up. Odd?

Interestingly I had to modify an existing booking I had this AM. Originally booked at the Hyatt at the Arcade in CLE but now meetings are happening.... out by the airport. Ended up booking the Sheraton with SPG. Perhaps I'm in the wrong program? :(

Quasiconvexity and uggboy like this.
  10. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    We don't limit ourselves to any one program. We share our stays between Hyatt, Hilton, SPG and Priority.

When we are going somewhere I check out Trip Advisor, limit the search to the above 4 chains. I read all the reviews, I price each option out on the company website then make my decision. Any hotel over $250 I consider doing redemptions. However for our upcoming Seattle trip whilst I believe the Hyatt properties are much better than the Hilton, but I chose the Hilton because I would rather pay $200 than $300 and don't believe in this case a redemption is justified because neither of the Hyatts are must stay at properties.

We don't focus on status because let's face it when you don't have it you don't get upset when you don't get upgrades and all that goes with it.

11. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have found Starwood to work better for my travel patterns (mostly large cities). Plus, Starwood has many more aspirational/interesting properties to redeem points for vacations (this is really important for me). Hyatt has some great properties but I find the majority of Hyatt Regencies in the US quite impersonal. I do have to say that Hyatt does a tremendous job (better than Starwood) when it comes to consistent excellent treatment of their elites.

DestinationDavid, Toula and uggboy like this.
  12. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt regencies are not really aspirational properties. I will say that I was impressed with the Park Hyatt Toronto, and see that brand as an aspirational property. The Grand Hyatt brand is a good comparison for the average IC, and Hyatt Regency is really supposed to compare to the Hilton brand.

Toula and uggboy like this.
  13. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree entirely (I think my post above was a little poorly worded). Hyatt some nice aspirational properties (mostly Park Hyatts and probably some Grand Hyatts) but the majority of the Hyatts in the US seem to be the Regency brand and I find those not very exciting.

14. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I know the feeling. I find it hard to justify booking at a Regency, since they tend to be a little more than a comparable Hilton, or even Sheraton (tells you how I feel about the brand), and I'm able to get better deals at those properties. There is only one event that has me actually seeking out a reservation at a Hyatt Regency, and that is because the hotel is the busiest of the event hotels.

15. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are, as always, exceptions to the rule. The Hyatt Churchill in London is definitely a notch above your average Hyatt Regency.

uggboy likes this.
  16. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Most (but definitely not all) International properties seem to be one notch above domestic US ones.

uggboy likes this.
  17. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    IST has 2 properties, Park Hyatt (very well reviewed) and GH. I've stayed at the GH using points, mostly because it was a lower category and it's location off Taksim Sq, which is very easy to get to from the airport. The GH has a nice Grand Club and nice amenities. Next time, hopefully, I will stay at the PH.

-David

uggboy and Quasiconvexity like this.
  18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    There are some Regency properties that are very nice. I stay quite frequently at the Hyatt Regency Denver Convention Center. Very new, cosmopolitan feel and good staff.

uggboy likes this.
  19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks David!

We talked about this up thread a bit, I mentioned that I could only get the Park Hyatt to show up when I was searching at the time. Since then I've looked and it has shown both properties. Still, both are out of the price range I'd like to pay. :confused:

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Regency O'hare and thought it wasn't too shabby. Modern lobby and the room was much more up to date then the Hilton that's connected to ORD.

Sadly this was a Priceline stay, so no Hyatt credit. :oops:

uggboy likes this.
  21. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I used points and picked the GH :) The PH would be good for the 2 credit card free nights or points if you have enough of them.

Another source of GP points: Chase Saphire Preferred points transfer 1:1 to Hyatt GP and they have a 50k sign up promo now. (spend 3k in 90 days.)

-David

uggboy and Quasiconvexity like this.
  22. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Some pics to give you some inspiration to book the PH. It is a true gem. Pics are of a Spa king room.

DSC_0113.JPG DSC_0114.JPG DSC_0115.JPG

uggboy and Toula like this.
  23. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Neighborhood at night

DSC_0107.JPG

uggboy likes this.
  24. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of my favorite hotels are Hyatts, the ones I dreamed about staying at when I was little. So i was hoping to go for Hyatt when I finally start the hotel game, but I agree with the OP that it can be hard to find them at reasonable rates or locations sometimes. SPG seems like a good second choice, so I remain conflicted.

uggboy likes this.
  25. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    if on one's own dime, making a hotel loyalty program worthwhile is tough when there are not mega promos to 'double down' on the ROI (promos such as FFNs with Hyatt). Priceline/hotwire have worked excellent for me in years when the hotel loyalty programs were stingy with worthwhile promos, plus the freedom of not being locked into a program(s) is quite liberating. Personally I'm letting all my status go bye bye except for Hilton, only because I will be burning quite a number of HHonors points I"m sitting on as I'm not smitten with where the program is going (seeing as Mrs Sweet Willie has been jonesen for an over-the-water bungalow stay, I should be able to burn them quite quickly:D)

uggboy likes this.