Hyatt Miami at the Blue

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by sophiegirl, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    3 day stay.

Day One: depending on which way you come in, if you are unfamiliar with Doral, you think you are in a warehouse district. Gated entrance, very small lobby. Hmm....not impressed so far. But, check-in was quick, easy, and very friendly. Amenity list was offered and had some really nice "local cuisine" selections. (delivery is not till tomorrow, update on that later) As there is no RC, breakfast coupons were provided. Took a peek in the restauranr, small, but nice. Entry complex is very very contemporary.

We are in building 5- a good location IMO. Not too far to walk to the main building, but far enough away from the noise and bustle of check-in. There are 16 buildings over all - get much beyond 8 and you will have a solid walk to get to the restaurant or pool. Beyond 10 and your villa will back up to a busier road. We are on the 2nd floor, but there is an elevator. However, the villa is 2 levels, with rather steep stairs, so if that is a problem for anyone, be forewarned.

We are in a 3br, 4 bath villa - over 2500 sq feet. Not a typo, my first house was smaller. Absolutely gorgeous, but again, VERY contemporary. 1st floor is LR, kitchen, small dining table, also seating at a bar. Desk. MEGA tv, dvd player. Furnished balcony overlooking the golf course. There is also a full bath. Upstairs is the master, HUGE, with fab bath - sunken jetted tub, shower stall, etc. King of course, with furnished balcony overlooking the golf course. 2nd BR is also large, 2 queens, full bath, but no tub, also a balcony overlooking the course. 3rd
    bedroom is the smallest, 1 queen, no balcony, and (very odd) no closet - but another full bath. All bedrooms have TV's. If you are traveling with a group of friends or large family, there is a lot of space and privacy. Funny though, some things are so contemporary it takes a few minutes to figure out how they work - there are still a couple lamps we can't get to turn on.

Day 2: Breakfast coupons only cover certain things on the menu - rather complicated, but basically cold buffet, or (off of menu) pancakes, a waffle, or egg breakfast. And a beverage. We sat out by the pool - which seems rather small for a resort of this size, but I think most people here are golfers. Pool does have some cabana's, a fountain, etc. Housekeeping did a good job. All personnel are friendly and accomodating. Service attitude is a big plus here - but service itself is a little spotty. It ranges from absolutely excellent to really nice person who doesn't have a clue. Amenity is a split positive/negative - the other couple loves wine, and says the bottle that was sent was excellent. The food part (skewed choc covered fruit) did no quite measure up. There is a fitness center, but it is tiny. As in the living room in the villa is bigger. Better plan to enjoy the outdoors!

Day 3: The restaurant was having a special dinner, and as we were here to celebrate a friends' retirement, decided to stay here and eat, rather than fight Valentine Day crowds elsewhere. We went down early in the day to select a table, pick the wine, arrange to have the dinner autobilled, order a special dessert, etc. The day hostess wrote everything down in the reservation book and assured us all would be taken care of. When we arrived at the restaurant, someone was sitting in our table, they did not have the dessert, the bill came to the table, etc. They did offer to seat us outside to make up for our lost table - but since the temp was about 45, we declined that offer. (how they thought that was better is beyond me) There was one (1) waitress for the entire restaurant, and it ended up being quite busy. Very very very disappointing. Having said that - the food was outstanding, and the waitress (who was running herself ragged) was quite pleasant, took excellent care of us - even taking the time to make us a cappucino with the foam in a heart shape! I hope management appreciates her, because she is truly an outstanding asset to this hotel.

Hyatt took this property over in April of 2010, and it has great potential. The service personnel are so pleasant, and really want your stay to be perfect...but there are some things that need work/training. There is a full kitchen - but no dishtowels, dishcloths, etc. The window treatments are stunning but one needs the strength of Atlas to open and close them. And why a bedroom would not have a closet I am still trying to figure out.

BUT - the villa is great, nothing was really horrible, all in all we had a good stay, and would certainly return. I would recommend the property, but just realize it may not be "perfect" stay. I did take some pics, so once I figure out how to post them will add to this review.

OceanBreezes and flyingdawg like this.
  2. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait to hear more. I'm hoping to stay here this coming summer.

3. bsdstone
    Original Member

bsdstone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any recent stays here? I'm looking to stay here over New Years...going to Miami to watch my NIU Huskies get killed in the Orange Bowl!
    Will be myself, wife, and two boys 8 and 6...do Diamonds get upgraded rooms?