Hyatt Maui vs. Hyatt Kaui in December with/ 2yr old

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Cody, Apr 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Cody
    Original Member

Cody Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thinking of using one of my diamond suite upgrades, CapOne certs. and two free nights from the Hyatt card for a family vacation away from the ANC winter next January.

From what I've read/seen it looks like the kids pool/sand area at the Maui Hyatt is a definite plus. But the Hyatt Kauai seems just a bit nicer and better-reviewed, while still seeming pretty kid-friendly. The weather averages look virtually identical at either location for January via weather underground.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Kaanapali likes this.
  2. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not stayed in Maui, but in Kauai several times and think its one of the best Hyatt Resorts in the world. The hotel grounds are beautiful and there is always someone close by in case you need help. They have 2 pools and a nice beach. I have no idea if the hotel is kid friendly, but I believe it is based on all the kids from all different age groups. I saw on our last stay. No idea what the weather is gonna be like in January, but I will find out next year I just know it will be nicer then in Wichita or Anchorage.

sunseeker likes this.
  3. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been to the HR Maui, nor have I been to the GH Kauai with kids. But the GH Kauai is quite possibly the best overall hotel experience I've ever had -- even above the PH Sydney. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

sunseeker likes this.
  4. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have been to both with my daughter (she is a toddler). Property and experience/ambiance wise the GH Kauai trumps the HR Maui hands down. As far as a little one goes however, the comparison gets a bit closer.

As you have noted, the kids pool/sand area at the HR Maui is quite nice...featuring their own little water slide, various "pools" (really some are just big puddles) for varying ages of little ones to enjoy....all sand bottoms for the most part...and jets of water that spring from the cement part of the area. The area is also visible from the adult pool and separated by a fence that you can see through while basking in a more normal depth of water.

At the GH Kauai, there is no designated kids' area per se...but the sandy lagoon works well as a substitute. A little one can play on the "beach" and then waddle in/out of the shallow depths. However, since the lagoon gets eventually deeper you will have to make sure they stay in the shallow areas.....

Now if your kids are older and can use more adult water slides...both properties have them (the HR Maui is enclosed tube...the GH Kauai is a more typical (and longer) open one)......

A kid friendly beach (real beach) on Kauai is just minutes down the road by the Sheraton....Poipu Beach....whereas the HR Maui is of course on Ka'anapali Beach ;)

Tenmoc likes this.
  5. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    hands down, GH Kauai is the nicer of the two properties. As a Diamond, I would definitely use my upgrade at Kauai and wouldn't fool with Maui. The Regency Club at Kauai is nicer as well. Grand Hyatt Kauai has the salt water lagoon and then they have the upper and lower pools. The Upper pool, IIRC is an adult only pool.

Kaanapali likes this.
  6. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd call both locations, and get information about specific kids activities. Having stayed at both a few times, I think Maui is probably more "family friendly" ---but that's not to say Kauai wouldn't be fine. But the last time I visited, the kids activities at Kauai were closed down, and the dining rooms seemed much more formal than Maui.

Without a child in the mix, I'd say Kauai without a doubt.

7. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is correct.... :)

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at the GH Kauai, and I can see fully it is very child friendly. I met a MP-FT member whom stays regularly with his family, as it provides great swimming pools for the children. The Hyatt Maui is also a nice hotel, but it seems to be a bit more oriented to adults. Both are nice hotels, but I think the facilities at GH Kauai are the better of the two. Have a great trip.

9. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak to the child friendly issue, but the Kauai property is just so beautiful, and the staff is so helpful, I cannot imagine that you would not have a lovely vacation. I really love staying at the Kauai property.

10. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    No arguing that Kauai is a finer resort...but the question is whether it's better for a couple with a toddler. I don't recall seeing any high chairs in the restaurants, nor a kiddie pool, but I do think there was a wading area. A 2 year old won't be eligible for any of the Kids Camp activities, so you'll be a bit limited. The grounds are lovely, and if you're in the mood for just sitting on the beach and relaxing, and can keep the baby entertained, it'll be great. Maui, while not as elegant, always seemed more family oriented to me, and there is certainly more to do in the general area, than there is at Kauai. (although I seem to remember a public playground down by the public beach. It's an easy walk with a stroller)

11. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a playground on the public beach. We stayed in a condo near there with my then 2 year old twin grandsons a couple of years ago. Unfortunately that playground was often very busy, and often there were some pretty rough older kids on the slide and climbing thing, so it wasn't ideal for toddlers.

12. Cody
    Original Member

Cody Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great input! We're leaning toward the Hyatt Kauai in January.