Hyatt London Do 2015 - October 8th-11th

Discussion in 'Meetups' started by Price123, May 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once again, we are organising a Do in London in October. Full details will be below in a few posts (it will be too long to read all in one).

Booking information
    • Hyatt Churchill group rate is £276/295 single/double occupancy per night including VAT and full buffet breakfast in the Montagu for a View Room. Group code is G-FLYT.
    • Andaz group rate is £199 per night including VAT. Group code is G-DFV4.
    • You can book online by inputting the code into the group rate box or you can email the hotels to book
    • Please note cancellation terms when booking (1-2 weeks)
    Benefits (in addition to reduced rates)
    • All guests staying on the group rate for at least 2 nights to include at least 1 night at the Churchill will be entered into a prize draw. In previous years, every room has been guaranteed a prize and we aim for the same this year. My thanks to Luxury Travel Diary for helping to source prizes this year. Details of prizes are below
    • The Churchill has kindly sponsored a champagne reception for all guests staying at the hotel on Thursday night
    • The Churchill is also generously offering bonus points for everyone staying at the hotel:
      • 1,000 points for 1 night on the group rate
      • 3,000 points for 2 nights on the group rate
      • 6,000 points for 3 nights on the group rate
      • 10,000 points for 4 nights on the group rate
    • American Express will once again be sponsoring the wonderful champagne reception and gala dinner on Saturday night
    • All attendees will receive a goody bag (valued at approx £100pp) - thanks to Luxury Travel Diary again for helping to source contributions
    Important information
    • In order to attend the event, you must register here
    • Places are strictly first come, first served
    • Your place on any paid event is only guaranteed after payment has been received
    • In the event that one of the paid for events is cancelled, you will be refunded in full

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    iolaire, IDGflygirl, alfagirl and 4 others like this.
  2. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pictures from previous years here

Itinerary (times subject to change)

• Thursday 19:00 - welcome champagne reception, sponsored by the Hyatt Churchill
    • Friday
      • 09:30 - American Express focus groups
      • 12:00 - Blacklane chauffeur pick-up for transport to London City Airport
      • 13:30 - Behind the scenes VIP tour of LCY (to include private jet centre and, if possible, BA's A318 all-business class plane)
      • 16:30 - Leave LCY for Andaz London Liverpool Street
      • 17:30 - Welcome reception in Temple (if available) and brief tour of Andaz London
      • 18:30 - Interactive live cooking dinner in Studio at the Andaz
    • Saturday
      • 10:00 - A fragrant breakfast by Molton Brown, including a £50 per person gift voucher
      • 14:30 - Wine and dessert tasting (macaroons and William Curley chocolates) at the Churchill
      • 19:00 - Champagne reception, sponsored by American Express
      • 19:30 - 3 course gala dinner, sponsored by American Express
      • 21:00 - Prize draw, charity auction and goody bags
      • 23:00 - Retire to bar or bed!
    • Sunday
      • 12:00 - Champagne brunch (book independently with hotel)
    Prices
    • Behind the scenes tour of London City Airport £15 per person to cover transport and lunch
    • Andaz dinner £60 per person
    • Molton Brown fragrant breakfast £20 per person
    • Wine, chocolates and macaroon tasting £35 per person

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Friday night menu (£60 per person including welcome drink and half bottle of wine)
    • Canapes
      • Citrus cured salmon, fennel pollen, apple gel
      • Scallop ceviche, tiger’s milk, pomegranate
      • Dew peppers, goat cheese & honey (v)
      • Pork cheek croquettes, strong mustard
      • Beef empanadas
      • Chicken & spring onion wontons, light soy
    • Live cooking stations
      • Tuna Tartare, passion fruit, coriander
      • Wild mushroom risotto (v)
      • Beef tournedos, celeriac, port jus
    • Mixologist offering a choice of specially created cocktails
    Saturday night menu
    • Starters
      • Parma ham wrap, rocket, melon cubes, candied figs, pea shoots, balsamic
      • Home cured mackerel, samphire, edible flowers chilli honey vinaigrette, pickled vegetables
      • Balsamic glazed mediterranean vegetables, grilled farmers bread, rocket, honey mustard dressing, edible flowers (v)
    • Mains
      • Beef fillet, beetroot and potato rosti, grilled cep mushrooms, deep fried aubergine, garlic jus
      • Sun blush tomato crusted sea bream, pea puree, steamed asparagus, potato gnocchi, white tomato foam
      • Panko bread crusted courgette and carrot cake, creamy fregola, micro salad (v)
    • Desserts
      • Lychee and strawberry mouse, pineapple sorbet
      • Sticky toffee and date pudding, pistachio ice cream

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  4. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prizes (so far - to be updated)
    • 3 nights B+B in a Barai Balcony Suite at Hyatt Regency Hua Hin, valued at approx $2200
    • 2 nights in a Villa at the Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa, Palm Springs, valued at approx $1450
    • 2 nights Andaz 5th Avenue, valued at approx $1400
    • 2 nights at Sorrel River Ranch, Utah, valued at approx $1400
    • 2 nights B+B at the Andaz Tokyo, valued at approx $1250
    • 2 nights at the Luxury Viceroy Resort in Bali, valued at approx $1200
    • 2 nights at the Grand Hyatt Santiago in an Executive Suite, valued at approx $1150
    • 2 nights in a club room at Hyatt Regency London the Churchill, valued at approx $1200
    • 2 nights B+B at the Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh, valued at approx $1200
    • 2 nights B+B at the Park Hyatt Vienna in a Park King room, valued at approx $1050
    • 2 nights B+B deluxe view room for 2 people at Park Hyatt Siem Reap, valued at approx $1000
    • 2 nights for 2 at The Apartments by The Sloane Club in Chelsea, London, valued at approx $800
    • 1 night at the Andaz Papagayo, valued at approx $500
    • 2 nights at boutique Hotel12 in Austria, valued at approx $450
    • A Lumie Zest to combat jet lag, valued at approx $200
    • A wonderful Molton Brown Hamper
    • A Tinggly Gift Experience, valued at approx $135
    • A pair of No1 Traveller Club lounge Champagne Experience Vouchers to use at any UK airport, valued at approx $115

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    alfagirl, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  5. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds awesome.
    But I want to make sure that I am reading this correctly. Thursday night is at the Churchill; Friday is at the Andaz; and Saturday is at the Churchill, correct?
    Please correct me if I am wrong...

6. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can choose to be at the Churchill throughout or at the Andaz on Friday night. What you have booked/planned at present is perfect though.
    Look forward to meeting you

7. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great. Thanks. Any suggestions/recommendations for getting from LHR to The Churchill?

8. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our preferred transfer company is Blacklane - they charge £59 from LHR to the Churchill for a Mercedes E class - use code 4NMXMSYB for £10 off. This is much cheaper than a taxi.

Alternatively, I would use the Heathrow Express service (£21.50 one way, £35 return) to Paddington, then a taxi to the hotel (£10). If there is a Heathrow Connect service near the time you arrive, this is a cheaper train (£10.10 each way) and worth taking, although it takes approx twice as long. The tube is a long journey and not recommended with luggage as you will need to change lines to get near the hotel, although is a lot cheaper (£6)

Nearer the time, I will create a list of people willing to share transfers and their flight details.

alfagirl and P La Rue like this.
  9. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A note for anyone looking to book, especially the Saturday night at the Churchill.

If the website says that the hotel it sold out on the group code, please book by emailing guestpersonalisation.hrlondon (at) hyatt.com and they will increase the room block if space is avaialable.

For anyone who wants to come but hasn't yet booked, I would suggest doing so soon as the hotel and the Do events are getting booked up.

alfagirl likes this.
  10. Austin787

Austin787 Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering joining. I have some questions:
    1) How many nights at the Churchill (booked on the group rate) are required to register? May do Friday night at Andaz and Saturday night at Churchill. Not sure about Thursday yet.
    2) How is fall foliage colors in London in October?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  11. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great that you may be able to join.
    1) 2 group rate nights of which one must be at Churchill, so Friday at Andaz and Saturday at Churchill works well (can sandwich with Thursday at Churchill for 3 stays if you wish.
    2) London is a green city and the Churchill is within walking distance of Regent's Park, Hyde Park, Green Park, St James' Park and Kensington Palace Gardens. However, because trees are mixed, London is not famed for autumn folilage and the scale would not be as in New England, for example. Having said that, Hyde Park should be a very pleasant place to stroll in early October (rain permitting) and leaves should have at least started to turn by then.

12. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you post a list who is registered?

Any chance a summary report can be post for the event?

13. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what you mean by a summary report. I can post a partial list of attendees but not everyone has a username and I don't want to post real names.

14. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Attendees (partial list as not all have provided user names)
    Price123+1
    dany233m
    SS255
    DogloverJB+1
    Silverspringer+1
    Brituchenite
    Whiskarina
    FredEX17+1
    Markie
    LondSE1+1
    Sensei+1
    Pat89339
    Mnmag
    Monitor+1
    rfrost
    pazza2000+1
    canfordcliffs
    shorthauldad
    will1408+1
    P la Rue
    Alfagirl
    GodAtum
    smitty06
    MacMyDay
    Barnaby100
    Raffles

15. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.
    What I meant by summary report was details on travel tips learned. I assume it's more than just a meeting to say hello..

16. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah ok. Well, it is a networking event rather than having any formal sessions. Thus, most tips are shared informally. Sometimes we learn about developments at American Express but those are during closed focus groups, thus I cannot disclose online.

17. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then how do you think new members would really know if tips are really shared since nobody shares?

After all these years nobody shares the tips so enrollment doesn't seem extensive.

18. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The event is Hyatt-centric and it looks like Am Ex also sponsors 'events'. It is not like an FTU where you attend specifically to learn tips, tricks AND network. I have heard positive feedback about this event and am finally going to attend this years 'do. Ymmv

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  19. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alfagirl explains the event quite well so thanks.

Attendance has to be limited to fit in with American Express sponsorship - the dinner on the final night costs around $150/person so we cap it at 50 people as AMEX also provide something special in the goody bag. We have requested increased sponsorship for next year - then we may be able to open up numbers. However, to keep the concept, it will never get bigger than 100 people - we like to be able to talk to everyone individually and keep it personal.

This isn't positioned as a frequent traveller university. It is simply a networking event for people who love to travel. We have made some great friends in the past 4 years and continue to meet up with them through smaller Dos in exotic locations (Maldives, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand). The event is incredible value as the prizes are often worth more than the cost of the stay. The dinner is sponsored on the final night, a goody bag worth approx $150 is provided, there are other sponsored activities. It is a different concept to many other Dos that happen and is aimed at people who are ok with paying $450/night for a hotel, who want to meet with other people.

20. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I was able to review a few previous events with very nice descriptions. Many of these events are posted but if you not in THE IN crowd you don't go and don't hear much about the details or rewards for attending.

I can't believe AMEX wouldn't push it's Platinum AMEX card for travelers as it makes sense with the perks if you are a traveler who likes luxurious events like your DO. I still hope to find out more in the future but this is the first link that I've found that has describe the Dos in detail, thanks.

21. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The events are written up on our website - here for 2012, here for 2014. Description for 2015 is here.
    Then, Maldives event is here, Siem Reap here and Vietnam here. Thailand for 2016 isn't up yet but will be private hire of the Barai at Hyatt Hua Hin (around 30-40% off daily rate) but similarly to the other small events is limited to 8 rooms.
    The difficulty AMEX have is that AMEX UK sponsor so can only provide offers for UK residents. We hope to run a similar event next year in New York, but then any offers will only be for US citizens. They can't promote across boundaries.

alfagirl likes this.
  22. Fly free...

Fly free... Member

Status Points:
    Looks fantastic!

DeltaExpert likes this.
  23. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are welcome to come

24. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just booked my airport, LHR, pickup with Blacklane to The Churchill. Pick-up time is 12:45 pm on Thursday Oct. 8.
    If anyone wants to share, please contact me.
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Price123 likes this.