Hyatt is “worst employer,” hotel workers say

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by uggboy, Sep 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt is “worst employer,” hotel workers say:confused:

Decrying that Hyatt is the “worst employer in the hotel industry,” Hyatt employees from four cities nationwide--Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Honolulu—have launched what they are claiming to be a weeklong strike.

“By striking, workers are standing up for decent jobs for themselves and their families, but they are also fighting for the right to take a stand against an abusive employer that is destroying good jobs in their North American hotels,” said UNITE HERE, a union representing 250,000 hotel and other hospitality workers throughout North America.

UNITE HERE contends “Hyatt has singled itself out as the worst employer in the hotel industry. Hyatt has replaced career housekeepers with minimum wage temporary workers and imposed dangerous workloads on those housekeepers who remain. In July, Hyatt turned heat lamps on striking workers in Chicago during a brutal heat wave. In Boston, Hyatt fired its entire housekeeping staff at three non-union hotels, replacing women who had worked at Hyatt for decades with temporary workers earning minimum wage.”

According to UNITE HERE, the injury rates for Hyatt housekeepers are high, and academic studies have shown that housekeeping can lead to debilitating injuries. Housekeepers at some Hyatts clean as many as 30 rooms a day, nearly double what is typically required at union hotels. ""Hyatt is abusing housekeepers in Los Angeles and across the country. I am on strike today—not just for a decent contract—but to fight for our right stand up to Hyatt wherever this giant company is attacking workers," says Cathy Youngblood, a housekeeper at the Hyatt Andaz in West Hollywood, California.

http://www.eturbonews.com/25099/hyatt-worst-employer-hotel-workers-say

Gargoyle, Chimpy and Horse like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I don't know the facts about the Boston incident, the heat lamp situation was discussed here. For the union rep to claim that Hyatt, as a corporation, was responsible for turning on the heat lamps is just PR spin. It was clearly the actions of a manager, who was one day away from retirement, and knew he had nothing to lose by doing it.

uggboy likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. But it serves as a reminder how much impact the actions of an individual can have.

Chimpy and uggboy like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised by the title. All the current and past Hyatt employees I spoke to said they love it from the working environment to the benefits (especially the free nights).

uggboy likes this.
  6. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Academic studies have shown that housekeeping can lead to debilitating injuries? Don't anyone tell that to my mom! I sure hope no one got tenure for doing that study.

sobore, uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is your mom a professional housekeeper in a hotel, or does she live in a mansion with 15-30 bedrooms/bathrooms that all need cleaning every morning?

That said, I am in a profession, too, that can according to studies lead to debilitating injuries (RSI).

8. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Neither, it would just be more to gripe about -- I come from a culture where griping is expected! :)

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What culture is that, Flyertalk? :eek: :D :cool:

10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw a spokesman for one of the Hyatt San Francisco properties interviewed last week and he stated that their union workers were offered the same contract that other hotels, including Hilton, Starwood and Intercontinental, had signed with their union workers in San Francisco. Can't figure out why they wouldn't agree to the same terms as other unionized San Francisco hotel workers.

sobore, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  11. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    You never know if it was true though. People can't always be trusted.

uggboy likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they want a better deal, because they know that the deal the others have agreed upon is simply not a good deal!;)

Chimpy likes this.
  13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, well said!

14. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's one of the items demanded by union workers. Why should hotel workers in San Francisco have a say about hotel labor representation in a completely different city if Hyatt buys a new property? That would be like applying the contract I worked under to workers in San Diego, even though we're 400 miles away from each other, and letting me go on strike because of labor issues there. Doesn't make much sense to me. I can see why they're not settling with this on the table.

http://www.hotelworkersrising.org/News/press_release.php?press_id=174

15. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    We've discussed this in a few threads here. Like stated earlier, heavy union cities like Chicago and San Francisco has sporadic strikes within many chains. This morning I saw people on strike outside a Marriott down the street from my office.

Just remember that there's always two sides to things. To flat out believe the unions (especially in Chicago and San Fran) is something I definitely don't do and that this is exclusive to Hyatt is even more naive to believe in.

Chimpy, LETTERBOY, kenbo and 2 others like this.
  16. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There will always be some unhappy workers and as tommy said there are always to sides of the story. I know several low level employees that are very happy with Hyatt and some that have gotten several promotions and went from labor to management. One comes to mind he started out as a valet and now is a Front Office Manager. These promotional opportunities are not possible in most companies.

17. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is a current GM at one of the higher profile properties who started out as a bell person at a now former Hyatt property.

18. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally, these incidents are because someone who has been elected to a union leadership position becomes a DYKWIA, and then is able to convince people they are being wronged.

While I am sure there are legitimate grievances, most of the noise is because the union leadership wants the property management to kiss the ground they walk on.

19. mowine

mowine Active Member

Status Points:
    So they can work as a collective rather than as individual hotel employees and increase their bargaining strength by threatening to walk out at all Hyatt properties at the same time. That is the ultimate power a worker's union has vis-a-vis their companies. Also, the individual hotel (union) workers don't have a say in policy other than to vote on issues presented in their union shop meetings. Whatever they vote on up or down (e.g. strike,no strike, renegotiate, etc.) is acted on in their name by their elected union rep. All in all, sort of how our republic works.

Gargoyle, cennas and ACMM like this.
  20. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    mowine ... Welcome to milePoint ... thanks for posting ... hope you enjoy it here :)

21. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP mowine!

22. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a constant battle at my school between the union and those students who don't want any part of it. As far as I can figure there are a few vocal people who think the administration is taking advantage of us. The rest realize that we're students first, not employees, and wonder what the fuss is all about.

23. mowine

mowine Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you ACMM, liking it so far!

24. mowine

mowine Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks cennas!:)

25. mowine

mowine Active Member

Status Points:
    True dat (the two sides part). My dad was an IAM (machinist's) union member. When I was 15, I asked why he belonged to one-"because it's a necessary evil". That made me think!

LETTERBOY likes this.