Hyatt in Shanghai -- Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by FriendlySkies, Oct 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    To help me earn the 20K EQMs I need for an AA EXP challenge, I'll be attending the Fall 2011 China DO, next weekend (Nov 11-13). It looks like Hyatt has some nice properties in Shanghai, but I'd just like to get an opinion of which one that most MPers prefer. Any of them you recommend for using a suite upgrade?

Looks like the Andaz Shanghai just opened, so I have been thinking about that. My only concern is that with the opening day less than a month ago, they may be having some growing pains.. Has happened to me at other hotels...

Thanks! :)

cennas likes this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was pretty happy on my 10 night stay at the Grand Hyatt, though the Park Hyatt is right across the street. Didn't have a suite, though they did upgrade me to an 80th floor corner room with a view of the Bund from one side and the Oriental Pearl Tower out the other. PHOTOS

I spent a lot of time in the Regency Club in the afternoon just to cool down and have a cold drink (100F and 100% humidity) and it came in real handy. Don't think you'd have an equivalent option at Park Hyatt. Park Hyatt does have a nice selection of reasonably priced restaurants on the second floor. I went over there twice for meals. Both hotels are also within walking distance of two shopping malls, one that's around 9 stories with lots of restaurants in there, too (had Thai there a couple times and Italian once). Easy access to Metro, too, which is below one of those shopping malls.

Grand Hyatt on left and Park Hyatt atop World Financial Center on right:
    [​IMG]

3. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If most people at the DO are centering around Le Meridien or Westin, you’ll have extra travel time coming from either of the GH or PH, which are across the river from where most things are likely to happen, though you can take the metro rather than a taxi. Admit I haven’t looked at plan for the Do. Andaz would be closer, and is in a nice part of town, though the place it’s in is a bit of a tourist makeup. The Hyatt on the Bund is not on the Bund, but across a creek in another part of town that’s probably the same distance away as the Andaz. Nice hotel, with a nice lounge, but it’s not in a typical place tourists go to, so be sure to have the address written down by hotel personnel for taxi drivers.

I also recommend, though I have not connection to it, an iPhone app called Shanghai Taxi Guide, which has an amazing array of Shanghai places in its database that you can turn into something to show your driver. Don’t know if it’s also for other smartphones.

4. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We'll be meeting at the Westin around 12pm on Saturday to head out for a China Eastern Air tour of the pilot training center. When I called the hotel earlier, they mentioned that it should only take 10-15 minutes using the taxi, and the cost was pretty low. ($5-6 US).

The GH looks like the one we'll be choosing. With a suite upgrade, it looks like we'll receive a pretty good room. Thanks for the photos, Tom!

5. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Allow yourself a little more time. Traffic getting across the river can sometimes be bad, even on weekend if there’s some kind of event going on.

6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The PH is fantastic just don't expect much in the way of a Diamond amenity. And even one of the managers did not know the rules for rooms re best available. I was given the choice of a better view or a bigger room [not a suite], but not the bigger room with a better view - which was available. This was after I was given the full rundown of the Diamond amenity rules with a special emphasis on "or."

Then again YMMV but I'll try the GH next door if I go back to PVG

7. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fastest way across the river during crowded times is the subway or, if you can find the terminus (it's only about a 10 minute walk from either the GH or PH, but obscure), the ferry. Get to the other side and then take a taxi if need be.

I think you will not be disappointed either at the GH or PH and have stayed multiple times at both, although my personal choice would always be the PH now.

tom911 likes this.
  8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ferry on the Pudong side below. I took two trips on it when I was there. Isn't it something like 2-3 yuan? I recall it was pretty cheap.

[​IMG]

9. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not a bad price! How far in advance should we lineup to take the ferry on a Saturday morning? Do they fill up pretty quickly?

10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The two times I took the ferry I waited maybe 5-10 minutes. I don't know what the frequency is, though, and don't recall seeing any schedules posted. A lot of travelers stand as there are not enough seats.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  11. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at the PH and used a suite upgrade. MAGNIFICENT. Got a ~1200+sq ft room with a great view. The Diamond breakfast was hands down the best I have had anywhere. A huge spread of western and eastern choices. A fabulous stay. We loved it.

12. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think PH was easily one of my favorite hotels I've ever stayed at and the breakfast as a Diamond was terrific. That said, I'd pick the Andaz next time in town as it is closer to the things you'll want to do on the Puxi side. Don't miss the dumplings (xiaolongbao) at one of the best places that you can get them (Nanxiang Mantou Dian)... it's the place with the insane line in Yuyuan garden. Hint: the line is often for take out so if you want a sit down meal, proceed upstairs and the wait is usually not that bad.

paladin87 and FriendlySkies like this.
  13. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We enjoyed these as well as Yangs Fried Dumplings...both excellent in different ways.

14. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yang’s Shanghai Soup Dumplings are also great.

15. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The ferry goes every five minutes or so, there are no reservations and none needed. The whole ride is only 5-10 minutes and it is cheap -- I think Tom has it right, it's Y2. You have to buy a token at a ticket place on premisses and that goes into the turnstile. It leaves you off at the end of the Bund, not terribly far from Yuyuan gardens, but not close to a subway stop.

16. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ended up going with the Grand Hyatt.. Although the location was not the best for meeting people at the Le Royal Meridien, etc, it was an excellent hotel.. full report/photos to be posted soon..

RichardInSF and cennas like this.
  17. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking forward to reading it :)

lwkatya likes this.
  18. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the delay! Before I post the review/photos, I've got one question for those of you that have been here..

Have you noticed that the mattresses are pretty firm? During our stay, it felt like I was sleeping on a concrete slab, topped with a mattress pad. However, the roll-a-way that we had was very comfortable. Makes me wish I had requested two roll-a-ways! :eek:

At every Grand Hyatt I've been to, the mattress has always been soft. Perhaps I had a bad mattress, or is this the norm for GH Shanghai?

19. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I slept perfectly there but can't recall what kind of mattress I had.

20. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    A bit OT since I've never been to the GH Shanghai, but I found almost all mattresses in the Asian Hyatts that I've visited to be pretty firm. I've never had any problems sleeping on them, but YMMV :)

lwkatya likes this.
  21. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have not experienced the firm -- I'd even say rock solid -- mattress phenomena outside of the GH Shanghai, where it happened every time. It turns out that if you ask housekeeping, very quickly some people will show up with a foam rubber pad to put on top of the mattress (and under the sheet). It makes a significant difference.

lwkatya likes this.
  22. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of the 4 Hyatts in Shanghai Conde Nast readers rank the Grand Hyatt as the best of the four much more highly rated than the Park Hyatt. Am planning a trip to China and would appreciate everyone's perspective. Same identical issue with Beijing where we will also be traveling. Thanks

23. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed 3 nights at Grand Hyatt Shanghai on award and was upgraded to Jr. suite, have a wonderful stayed and excellent location, walking distant to Metro #2 lines, staffs at Grand Club Lounge was excellent and very friendly, would love to come back and stay here again if I am in the area.