Hyatt Hua Hin

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by IMGone, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not usually one for resort/beach venues and ended up here because I was looking for something close to Bangkok. It's an easy 2-3 hour drive from the City (boring, but easy). I used a car service that screwed me on the return, so would not recommend (sent a beaten up van instead of the private sedan expected) - and have since learned that Hyatt offers a reasonable price for their van from Bangkok Erawan to Hua Hin which I would consider in future now that I know where it is.

As a Plat and there before the Regency Club reopened, I wasn't expecting much of an upgrade, but did receive a lovely room with balcony overlooking a mellow area. I received a fruit juice drink each day via room service or in the bars, I selected room service and loved the selection (watermelon was a new one for me which I really liked). They offered a bag of cookies, and I also had a fruit platter upon arrival. There was one issue while I stayed, and that got me another bag of cookies but of a different type.

I stayed there for just a few days to relax, and since I slept a good portion of my stay it was a successful visit. I did walk around the area right outside the gates, and there are some inexpensive restaurant options if you wanted to venture out instead of eating on property. I didn't find the food offered by the hotel to be particularly imaginative, but it was definitely acceptable. I had one meal at the restaurant near the pools, which was disturbed by some employees taking lunch and playing with their iphones fairly loudly for the tranquil surroundings - but that was the only hiccup for the entire stay.

If you are a beach person, this is likely not the place for you. If you're a see the sea/ocean and hang in the pool area or just sunbathe, you'd be all set. At high tide, the beach essentially disappears but in low tide it offers nice walking (with covered feet) for long distances.

I did join in the morning Yoga classes the last two days, and wish I'd done it earlier. The guy teaching it was very welcoming and friendly -- it was FIRST ever time doing this, although I did find my wii time helped me with some of the moves. Highly recommend this to anyone - it is held in the forecourt of the spa in an area called serenity courtyard (i think). They also had a nice gym available for use with a wide range of equipment.

They offer a van into the Hua Hin city area for a fee, which if you two have people is the same as a taxi, so just go that route. Taxis are not in great shape, but they get you where you're going. You are best off if you can tell them in advance what time you are going and returning, if using their service as it is done via a third party and as some other guests and I found out, not always reliable if they don't have a guarantee someone will be waiting.

The town, at least for me, did not have much to offer other than a very reasonably priced massage in the neighborhood. I wasn't in the mood to shop much, but found something to eat and walked around for awhile. I found it to be quite dirty but that is not unexpected for a city in Thailand. I was fascinated by the method of transportation used for the kids when a nearby school let out, the different motorbikes and how people piled into/onto whatever was being used to go to/from the school.

I've attached some pictures in the next post. The regency club and suites have now reopened, so I'm sure some Diamond members can share those pictures.

pnoeric, IDGflygirl, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  2. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    View from the balcony of my room - I spent awhile out there reading my book, there was a fan to lighten the air a little bit.
    hyatt hua hin view from balcony.jpg

The bathroom view - separate shower and bath and toilet area. Very nice size and well maintained.
    hyatt hua hin bathroom view from room.jpg

The welcome gift of fruit
    hyatt hua hin welcome gift of unknown fruit.jpg

View from the lobby to the sea
    hyatt hua hin from lobby to sea.jpg

Kalboz, lwkatya and cennas like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review. We'll be there for about a week in March (award stay at old rates). Decided to stay at the GH Erawan before and after, so will use the shuttle to get to Hua Hin.

How far is it to town? Walkable, or is the shuttle/taxi really a must? Any side trips/excursions you would recommend?

4. Looks great. Did you go Kitesurfing ?

sc801 likes this.
  5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely need a ride to town.

There are some things nearby, but I can't vouch for them given I didn't make it anywhere really during the visit.

6. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did nothing pretty much during my time here - first time I did something like that and quite enjoyed it. That said, there are people right outside the gate that probably offer better pricing than the concierge for some of the area attractions, and there are some if you are looking to go off premises

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love it when competition is in my favor !! Thanks for the property post.

8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We didn't stay but visited the grounds last year ... very nice indeed. It was fully booked at time of our visit and hence we couldn't tour guests' rooms. Many pools, lush greenery, right on the beach, nice RC lounge and about 3 miles south of downtown in a quite area.
    [​IMG]
    Hotel lobby
    [​IMG]
    View from hotel lobby
    [​IMG]
    RC Lounge
    [​IMG]
    The hotel's beach looking north
    [​IMG]
    The hotel's beach facing south
    The complete album is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157623571140934/with/4398436121/

IDGflygirl and cennas like this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the pics Kalboz, by looking at one of your pool shots I see that the lounge chairs seem to be made of wood, nice !

Kalboz likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone used the Costco certificates at this property? Do they offer a decent exchange rate, or would it turn into a waste of certificates that I certainly could use elsewhere in the future?

11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used the Costco certificates at the Grand Hyatt Erawan in Bangkok in Feb 2010, and I did get a good rate.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that would have been my next question as I will also stay there :)

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So looking at booking a few extra nights at the end of an existing award stay, I find that they add

7.700 Percent tax
    10.000 Percent service charge

onto the rate. The tax is fine and expected, but what is the 10% service charge for? Tips for the maids and other staff, i.e., should I then just not tip for any services provided during my stay?

14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tipping is not required at high end hotels and restaurants where they add the 10% service charge. According to Condé Nast Traveler Etiquette 101: The Tipping Guide, tipping in Thailand is suggested as follows:

http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/500117?pageNumber=6

This is a very contentious topic on the previous board, so, even if you disagree with the above, please show civility, courtesy and consideration to others' opinion when discussing this issue.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed factual information. I don't recall if a service charge was added for my previous stay in Thailand. I'll print out your post and take it with me... not to argue with the hotel, but to convince my wife not to leave our customary maid tip in addition to the 10%.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    where did you stay on your previous visit?

AFAIK, all hotels 2-stars or better charge the 10% service fee. It's part of the employees' compensation package ... unless it's skimmed by management/owner.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Anantara Koh Samui.

I am a big fan of paying people a fair compensation, so I am not trying to get out of paying money that they deserve. But I am also not a big fan of getting taken advantage of. E.g., I am not a big fan of the standard US system where restaurant tips are based on a percentage of your bill. The price of my meal ($10 pasta vs $30 steak) isn't a good measure of the work performed by the waiter. Same here -- 10% of the room rate can vary significantly based on room rates, but the work doesn't change.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic here. Thanks for clarifying the 10% charge at Hua Hin and in Thailand in general.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am looking at some of the rates for the HR Hua Hin for an upcoming stay and noticed that the room description for the Club Deluxe King includes this blurb:

"Exclusive benefits include a 60-minute massage for one person per night at The Barai and access to a lounge serving Continental breakfast, evening cocktails and hors d'oeuvres."

Do they seriously mean one 60 min massage for every night?

The prepaid rate for this room is slightly cheaper than the changeable rate for a non-Deluxe Club King that I have booked at the moment (sadly, no non-Club rooms available, as I should get Club access via Diamond anyway) and the massage benefit would score me some serious bonus points with my wife :)

Kalboz likes this.
  19. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know are just quoting the article, but do you tip taxis with more than the roundup of change when you are in the city? I typically tip THB 50 between the airport and the city. But in town either no tip or the change to the nearest THB 10. A THB 30 tip on a fare which is likely under THB 100 seems excessive when Thais don't tip at all.

20. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember that some hotels keep part of the 10% for themselves or the owners. I don't know about the HR Hua Hun specifically so mayb this is best discussed elsewhere.

21. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed ... that's what I personally do.

22. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice pics Kalboz! Thanks! I visited the hotel a couple of years ago, though didn't stay there, but was thinking of taking a holiday there this year. Your pics certainly made me want to go there even more. Thanks again!

lwkatya and Kalboz like this.
  23. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just be sure to either book at club room or be assured that you will upgraded to a club room. Generally the rooms are kinda small but the non-club wing is in serious need of renovations.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Anyone here know what kind of TVs they have in the room, and if they expose composite video ports? I am trying to decide whether to bring my Cowon portable movie player (it's small, but I would only need it for TV hookup since inflight entertainment will come from my iPad). Same question actually for the GH Erawan in Bangkok.

25. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Club rooms will be fine. The older rooms, doubtful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HaveMilesWillTravel and Kalboz like this.