Hyatt House Interrogation?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by ballardFlyer, Jul 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had an odd Hyatt house checkin recently. Desk agents were all overly friendly and started prying without me offering up much other than a hello.

They asked the normal things at first - reason for my visit, then my industry, then my company, how big it was, then even my role finally admitting higher ups (not sure if hotel mgr or hyatt corp) wanted the data. I didn't feel like chatting but they were persistent.

I'm no one special - just another traveler - and this kind of direct semi-incessant profiling is annoying. It doesn't feel hospitable to be fake chatty even when the 20 questions are asked with a smile.

If you want to size someone up to this degree send a survey or have a real conversation with them.

I've run into lots of overly nice (sometimes forced) Hyatt people but never felt creeped out by CS probing before. There is usually a semblance of natural feeling in most interactions. Oh well.

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should've played coy and told them that at your level of celebrity, discretion is paramount! :D
    Sometimes I also get them busy with a request, or questions about the area. It's a business transaction, so it's not rude to change the subject of small talk back to the business at hand.

OceanBreezes, hulagrrl210 and uggboy like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    At some point, it's not rude to refuse to answer questions that are none of their business. Unless you have a corporate rate or the employer is being directly billed, there is no reason for a hotel to need to know who employs you, etc.

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to be probed at check-in, I want a great room and friendly customer / guest driven service. :) As for probing, the TSA does this just fine. :eek:

5. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny

uggboy likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Even if you're on a corporate rate or the employer is being billed, some questions like the size of my company or my role are unwarranted.

My employer actually forbids me from disclosing almost anything about my work (including who I work for or what I do), out of a justifiable abundance of caution regarding social engineering and it could lead to access to the firm's systems.

Regardless, even if that wasn't the policy, if a desk agent started asking a lot of questions which are seemingly irrelevant to my stay, I would probably find the most polite way of telling them that it was none of their business.

OceanBreezes, uggboy and MX like this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about - I'm tired, please just check me in and give me my room key?

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    But Sir, this would be somewhat too simple! ;)

MX and OceanBreezes like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, I don't even see a reason to be polite about not answering such questions.

10. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    My mother brought me up to never be rude, but because I experience this so often, my patience has grown short. There are some things they have a right to know (e.g., credit card number), some things they need to know (e.g., if I booked an accessible room, does the person I'm traveling with need help in an evacuation?). Some small talk I can live with (e.g., "how's your day been?"). Beyond that, no. In particular, I don't share personal information that they are using to profile me.