Hyatt House Galleria in Houston, Texas, falls prey to door lock hackers

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by uggboy, Nov 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Hyatt House Galleria in Houston, Texas, falls prey to door lock hackers ||

Interesting food for thoughts....

sobore likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better to fix it now then to get a bad rep for lax security.

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In an ideal world, this is the way to do it. Sadly, in reality, this isn't always the case.:(

4. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a reservation next week here as I have a business trip to Houston and need a few more Hyatt stays. This post as well as comments on TOBB have me worried. Has anyone stayed here recently? Any other Hyatt's within reasonable driving of the Brookhollow area?

viguera likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it was just a matter of time though, and although it's unfortunate that this particular hotel was the target, I'm sure that it was just convenient and won't be the last we hear about this.

There was a sizeable thread going over the exploit itself, and Onity's solution is borderline garbage (the "mechanical" fix that they offered was simply to cover the plug used to access the lock). The problem is that an actual fix will require significant investment of both time and money, and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a very long time for every lock in every affected hotel to be addressed.

OceanBreezes likes this.