Hyatt HKG options?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Oct 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Planning on a "Mile Jog" to HKG in DEC. Debating whether to stay at Grand or Regency property. The compelling factor will be the view of the harbor. Also have a suite upgrade to burn as well. Seems like both afford views if you pick the right room. Looking at 2 day stay so even considering splitting between 2 and save $300 in the process. Any opinions? I've never been to HKG. Also considering staying at Regal at HKG for plane spotting and maybe a round of golf across the street from airport.

Thanks much.

uggboy likes this.
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be in HKG over New Years, and have booked the Grand Hyatt. Haven't stayed there before, but from the reviews I read, this looks like the place to stay..

uggboy and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've stayed at both properties multiple times. The Grand Hyatt is on the island and has an awesome view of the harbor and the light show. It usually is a lot more expensive. The Regency is in Kowloon, there's a lot more around the area.

Both have excellent club offerings and both are great properties, I prefer the Grand, their suites are awesome and so is the view, but the view from the Regency is also excellent. Haven't stayed at a suite there. Both properties upgrade to a high floor Club with the best view for Diamonds (on my 10+ stays anyways)

IMO, it all comes down to where you prefer to stay, in Kowloon or on HK island.

Looking forward to my next HKG visit when the brand spanking new Ritz Carlton will get a visit.

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the advice. sounds like a win win scenario. maybe a night in each is in order after all and compare apples to apples. SOunds like the regency has the advantage of locale and things to do, and from looking at maps, closer to the airport express. I guess this is a good problem to have.

uggboy likes this.
  5. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was debating the same thing - for a 2 night stopover on the way back from BKK. Due to Hyatt being so generous with Diamond status for the StarMegaDo, I had my partner get the Hyatt Credit Card (I still have not gotten it personally), for redemption in a suite for the 2 nights. Since it was now "free" (not even points which is 2 categories higher at the GH than the HR), we chose the GH. Unfortunately, the Grand Exec Harbor Suite is booked for one of the nights so we are confirmed in the Grand Deluxe Harbor View (probably not that shabby since the cash rate is over $800 USD.

uggboy, Lufthansa Flyer and tommy777 like this.
  6. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stay at the Grand. It is a great place.

7. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have stayed at the Grand and loved it. Best club you could hope for. Fantastic spread. Nothing beats a Harbour View room from this hotel.

uggboy and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    the decision is becoming easier and easier! :)

thanks all!

uggboy and FriendlySkies like this.
  9. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm just thinking about the GH HKG is making my mouth water as I recall the shrimp dumplings I had for breakfast in the club each day. Makes me want to book a flight and go tomorrow.

10. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in HKG last week and stayed at both the HR TST and GH.

HR TST always treats me very well, I've been upgraded to a high floor harbor view room in all my stays so far (4) and I always book the cheapest city view rate. Great view from the lounge also, evening and breakfast spreads are ok, not fantastic. Staff is excellent and genuinely friendly and remembers repeat guests. Location is smack in the middle of TST and connected via a series of underground linkways to both the East TST and TST MTR stations so getting around is very easy.

GH HK probably has the best club lounge of all Hyatts with great breakfast spread and Moët in the evenings. I always get an upgrade to a Club room with garden view but never to a harbor view room. Very efficient and polite staff, although not overly friendly. Room is a bit dated and so is the feel of the hotel in general. There is nothing much to see around the hotel, but Wan Chai MTR is an easy 5-7-minute walk via a series of footbridges.

As for the harbour view, I always think it is better from the Kowloon side. There are better skyscrapers on the HK island side while there are hardly notable ones on the Kowloon side. Just my preference.

Overall, both are great hotels and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

11. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the GH club being exceptional, and also that the location is a bit of a walk from getting you to a place(s).

While I’ve never stayed at a Hyatt on Kowloon, I’ve stayed at the Sheraton lots of times, and the evening view of the harbor, and the fireworks on the tops of the buildings, is much much better from the TST side of the harbor. If you hunker down at the GH, you could always take the MRT or a ferry across in time for the light show.

lwkatya, uggboy, cennas and 1 other person like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that for much of the year, the light show occurs at what would normally be lounge time anyway, so if the lounge has great views, you don't need to view from your room for the light show, although it's fun throughout the day and night, especially to see the skyline and water in different lighting and weather.

uggboy likes this.
  13. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but the view from the GH lounge is not the same as looking towards HK Island from TST. Don’t know the view from the HR TST lounge.

lwkatya, uggboy and cennas like this.
  14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    whats with all the snow talk? looking at weather history, HKG runs about 50F for a low and 77F for high as averages........on my planet thats still rain :) .....

I suspect the snow is the exception and not the rule.

uggboy likes this.
  15. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think someone else was talking about snow there, which I’ve never seen, even in the heart of winter. Have certainly been there for cloudy/rainy weather, and the light show is beautiful with clouds hovering just above.

uggboy likes this.
  16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could "snow" appear as a typo for (light) show? Seriously, Hong Kong can be chilly and damp. I've experienced this in both December and March. I was shivering in a jacket, wool sweater, and light rain coat.

uggboy likes this.
  17. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Below are some pics from my room last week at the HR TST. The view from the Club lounge is marginally better as it is higher up. I would imagine this is not the greatest view of HK island from the Kowloon side, as it's further back and not right on the water, and there are 3 buildings blocking the view. Nonetheless, to me, it is still a great view.

The light show starts at 8pm and happy hour is from 5.30 - 7.30. Normally I will go back to my room to watch the light show as the staff likes to keep the lights on very brightly at the lounge, thus making it quite hard to look at anything outside.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Toula, lwkatya, RichardInSF and 2 others like this.
  18. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the Sheraton is in the lower center of your 1st photo; has that scaffolding stuff on the roof, which is really as support for a large lighted sign that’s up there. It has a great view from the Towers Lounge, or you can just go to the waterside viewing area with its own Walk of Fame.

lwkatya, cennas and uggboy like this.
  19. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    In cennas' first pic, if you look across the harbor, on the left side you will see a squat roundish building. That is the HK convention center, and behind it to the right is the GH. The club lounge looks back towards where the picture is taken.

I've only stayed at the GH so far (trying HR TST for the first time in a few weeks) and have almost always been upgraded to a club floor suite. However, that was often not the first room I was shown to. I've had to reject that room and push them. This is, in my experience, hardly ever necessary at other Asian Hyatts.

20. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally really enjoyed the HRTST. However, I seriously considered the GH just because every review I read says that they view and club are awesome, and the suites (on an upgrade) are almost 2x as large as the TST. However, when I went, the GH was $150-200 more per night than the TST.