Hyatt GP's "guest of Honor" benefit

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Thomask, May 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used the "guest of honor" for friends right after it was bookable (beginning of March 2015) and the HGP line in China knew what I was talking about. I received the confirmation e-mail (with extra note "CHANGE" and the person's name I gifted the stay to was mentioned. They stayed at a GH in China and all Diamond benefits were given/honored. GREAT!

Issue:

Recently made another "guest of Honor" reservation for my wife. She is HGP Platinum. For the same night made a point and cash reservation for myself as we were traveling with all our kids. So we had a total of 2 rooms.
    My points and cash shows up in my Hyatt account. My wife's does not! It does not show up in either one HGP account.
    So I cancel my stay and COMPLETELY forget that I had a "guest of Honor" reservation in her name. (my fault)

My credit card got charged over 200$ for this "no show". (it had cost me 8000 HGP points originally)
    As we know the "guest of honor" is a benefit that was introduced in Feb. 2015. I am still learning to work with it.

A problem with the "guest of Honor" I encountered is,

1.) that it can not be canceled online

2.) It does not show up in my Hyatt GP account under future reservations, nor in my wife's as at time of booking I am only ask for her name and credit card detail. (not e-mail address or HGP #)

3.) neither the one that books (me) nor the guest of honor received a Reservation Reminder e-mail.

I have contacted the hotel now (where I have stayed several times before) and ask for a refund. I see how this goes.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is because of issues like yours that Hyatt Gold Passport, as a loyalty program, comes across a "work in progress", at best. They introduced the "guest of honor" perk, which I had indicated at the time was a fairly significant elite benefit. However, as with most of their programmatic changes, it does seem that anyone had given serious thought to how this new perk would be incorporated into the program to achieve a smooth implementation that would avoid precisely the sort of issue that you just reported. This may also be why GP remains the only program that still does not provide the ability for members to search for cash+point awards -- one of the program's most popular features -- online. Everything seems like, well, work in progress...

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  3. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, HGP is work in progress. But I have to say, they are innovative. (2014 my Elite rate, 2015 Guest of Honor, I do not need the UA passes, but that would be another one) While there customer service is not perfect, they do MUCH better than IHG's for example. From HGP you get a reply, they understand most the time and try to help. They can express themselves in English.

Regarding the "Guest of Honor" no show charge. I contacted the GH ICN Hotel directly, no questions ask they refunded my credit card in full. I like the Hotel, I am repeated guest and they always try to please. Issue is solved.
    It would be good though if HGP finds a better way "storing" the "Guest of Honor" reservation. Either ask for e-mail or send the giver a "reminder" e-mail. BUT "GUEST OF HONOR" IS A GREAT PERK AND ELITE BENEFIT. Thank you HGP

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    HGP loyalists are the most loyal of all loyalists who almost invariably will bring up a defect or shortcoming in the program but then immediately try to rationalize it away.

In the old days when I was still posting at TOBB, some of the most brutal and relentless comments in the HHonors forum were about how absolutely awful the HHonors website was. I do not know whether or not it is a cause and effect thing but it seems that HHonors listened because 2-3 years ago they completely revamped their website to produce one that I have since found very little to complain about.

By contrast, while HGP always "apologizes", the shortcomings they apologize for -- in English, too, thank God! -- persist: their website remains notoriously unreliable; C+P awards are one of the program's most popular features but they still cannot be searched or booked online; and now there is the issue just reported with "guest of honor" which, while a great perk, will be highly frustrating to use if this issue persists, and the main reason for why this and other shortcomings will persist may largely be due to the tendency of HGP loyalists to rationalize every programmatic defect. HGP can do no wrong. Heck, I remember some even arguing vociferously that the pulling of My Elite Rate -- a great perk but yet another casualty in a long of line of defunct HGP "innovations" -- was not a net loss of benefit!

Long live HGP! ;)

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  5. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your point about C+P, HGP says there will be a solution in 2015!? Let's see... I would also like it VERY MUCH if award stays would count towards status! HGP needs to do some catch up in this regard.
    Oh do I miss the "my Elite rate" and wish it would come back in one form or another. I travel mainly in Asia and Europe and Hyatt properties are too few and too pricy. I guess that has to do with the fact that the properties are mainly PH's, GH and HR's. I agree, if they would take to heart some of your observations AND MAKE CHANGES the HGP program would become better.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are on the same page on all counts. My Elite Rate was a great benefit because it made Hyatt's pricier room rates more competitive with those of the other chains. C+P is very popular because you get to have your cake and eat it too, i.e., you get your stay using a reasonable combination of cash and point and then you also get to claim the stay toward elite qualification. It would be great if all award stays also counted toward elite qualification like HH and other programs offer.

I love staying at Hyatt properties (often even on revenue), but I feel that GP can still be improved and made more stable.

Thomask likes this.
  7. Tokyo Hyatt Fan

Tokyo Hyatt Fan Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting to see if this program is extended into 2016. What would happen in the case that a Diamond member that would drop to a lower tier makes a bunch of points reservations in, say, their spouses name, while still a Diamond? Would they essentially be gifting Diamond status to themselves?

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Guest of Honor was announced in a way that leads me to believe it will be around for the future, where My Elite Rate specifically was announced as something they would evaluate after a year.

9. Tokyo Hyatt Fan

Tokyo Hyatt Fan Silver Member

Status Points:
    But Guest of Honor has a specific end date: December 30th of this year. Not even December 31st.

Thomask likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't see that initially but the HGP 'Guest of Honor' benefit does expire on December 30 as @Tokyo Hyatt Fan just stated. Here's the announcement, which clearly states by when to enjoy the benefit:
    They may yet bring it back but as of now 'Guest of Honor' does have a "use by" date...

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Thomask likes this.
  11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Interesting. I didn't notice the expiration date either. Let me see if I can find out whether it's being evaluated or definitely ends this year.

Thomask likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Okay, I spoke with someone at Hyatt. The benefit is being tested for the year. So, no concrete plans for it to return in 2016, but it's not a foregone conclusion it dies in December.

uggboy likes this.