Hyatt Gold Passport Update

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by J Zidell VP Hyatt, Dec 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. J Zidell VP Hyatt

J Zidell VP Hyatt Official Representative

Status Points:
    Dear milepoint members,

It looks like we got an unexpected holiday gift from our IT department this year with an early reveal of our Award Chart changes for 2015 – tis the season! I always like to be the one to personally share Hyatt Gold Passport news, but it looks like the Grinch beat me to it this year! In any event, this is a good time to talk about other noteworthy Hyatt news.

Yes, it’s true. We are making some changes to the Hyatt Gold Passport Award Chart. On January 22, 2015, 48 hotels will move to a lower category and 22 hotels will move to a higher category. Existing reservations for stays subsequent to January 21, 2015 will receive a refund for the point difference if the hotel moved to a lower category. A complete list of the changes and FAQs can be found on goldpassport.com.

I’d now like to take a moment and reflect on 2014. Overall, this year has been a very exciting one for Hyatt. In my opinion, some of the highlights are as follows:

· The Hyatt mobile App added new functionality, including more intuitive searching, booking and point redemption

· Park Hyatt opened its first hotel in Vienna, as well as the brand's flagship hotel in New York City

· Hyatt Place celebrated a significant brand milestone with more than 200 locations open across nine countries

· We have more than 250 executed contracts for Hyatt-branded hotels around the world, which represents potential entry into more than 100 new markets

With respect to Hyatt Gold Passport, this year we launched two new programs -- Points + Cash and My Elite Rate. Points + Cash has been very successful, and we are looking at ways to enhance it even further. Points + Cash was launched with the full intention of making it a permanent element of the loyalty program; whereas, My Elite Rate was launched as a beta test for the calendar year. At this point, we have chosen not to roll out My Elite Rate on a permanent basis, and it will not be available in 2015. I realize that many of you enjoyed My Elite Rate and were strong advocates for its continuation; however, the results from our beta test did not warrant a permanent roll out. We are currently working on a variety of new programs to make your travels in 2015 more effortless, more personalized and more rewarding, and you will begin to hear about some of these initiatives in the first quarter.

One thing that will be changing effective January 1, 2015 is the existing bed type guarantee policy. Today, this is applicable to elite members only, and members are awarded 5,000 bonus points if the reserved bed type is not available upon check-in. Less than 0.1% of elite members did not receive their confirmed bed type – so in the future we’re guaranteeing that upon check-in all guests will receive the bed type confirmed, and there will no longer be any bonus points associated with non-compliance. Rest assured, the hotels are committed to getting this right!

As always, I appreciate your feedback, and I encourage you to continue to let us know how we can support you better in the coming year. You can always reach out to me via this forum or directly at Jeff.Zidell@Hyatt.com.

Wishing you a warm and wonderful holiday season and safe travels.

All my best,

Jeff

P.S. Be sure to look out for our new, exclusive promotion launching in January!

2. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for checking in and for the GP update. Happy Holidays.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad to see Points + Cash becoming permanent. Can you share what the criteria/expectations needed to be met to have My Elite Rate become permanent?

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. zhabib

zhabib Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the update. Can you shed any light on the new Hyatt Diamond challenge, or if it will be restarted?

Happy holidays.

5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

6. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. I plan to switch to Hyatt in 2015....

canucklehead likes this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The IT snafu could have been worse, they could have named the page 'PonziPromo'... ;)

viguera likes this.
  8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jeff,

Thank you very much for reaching out to us directly. I appreciate your willingness to be publicly visible and invite feedback from the masses!

9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see P+C staying. Hopefully it will be bookable online someday. Shame about the MyElite Rate. I liked the program and makes a return in 2016. Looking forward to seeing the new programs in 2015.

good breakfasts, right? ;)

10. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, most excellent...:D

IDGflygirl and canucklehead like this.
  11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Are you calling me a Grinch, Jeff? :p
    We appreciate you keeping us up-to-date and hope for a great Hyatt year in 2015.

I did clarify this with Hyatt. Booking P&C online is on the radar for 2015, though no firm date.

jetsetr, IDGflygirl and canucklehead like this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're going to announce bad news, especially during these 'jingle bells ' days, make sure you have an emissary with Jeff's winning smile to make it hurt less;).

This was just more erosion of benefits: My Elite Rate -- too good to last -- is predictably gone, and the 5K bonus points for not getting the requested bed type (just happened to someone here recently) is also gone, which is strange since it apparently affected only 0.1% of elite members. One would think that it is precisely why the rule should have been kept -- it did not reward too many so it was not a huge drain, and in the rare case that some elite members did not get their requested bed, the 5K bonus would be a great way to keep them happy, resolve a potentially nasty situation, and maintain loyalty. Mix ups do happen, so the assurance that in the "future we’re guaranteeing that upon check-in all guests will receive the bed type confirmed" may need to be taken with a little grain of salt (the 5K bonus points won't be there anymore, unfortunately, even if the guarantee fails)...

Can't wait for more such "enhancements"!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    Thomask likes this.
  13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Except they did give us P&C last year, and My Elite Rate wasn't a benefit until last year. So, defining this as erosion seems a bit erroneous to me.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You lost me...You seem to be saying that both P&C and My Elite Rate [MER] were benefits last year and at the same time implying that one (P&C) was and the other (MER) was not a benefit last year? Regardless of what you mean, MER was a benefit, and a popular one, so that its demise is an erosion of benefit, any way you cut it.

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Both P&C and My Elite Rate were introduced for 2014. One is going away. I guess you could argue otherwise, but at worst it's a net zero for the total number of new benefits.

From where I stand, I enter 2015 with P&C in hand, which is an improvement from the past.

The elimination of MER is an erosion of THAT benefit. But, since others were added there's no net erosion.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  16. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earlier this year at HR MagMile Jeff told us P&C should be bookable online, how is this implementation coming?

Little surprised at how little properties went up in award cat, while most weren't a surprise. I thought a few others were going to move.

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mmmm...this is not an erosion of benefit only if one forgets that MER ever existed, but it did and folks loved it. Therefore, the way to view this is that two great benefits were introduced in 2014 and one of these won't be available in 2015 -- a net negative.

In fact, I just gauged the reaction to the announced changes around the web and there is a stark difference in the way bloggers and their readers reacted. As they have done after virtually every 'devaluation' of the GP program, the bloggers have tried to argue that this isn't that bad...because things could've been worse! Their commenters, on the other hand, were more lucid and thus less forgiving. One of the bloggers went as far as claiming, with a straight face, that the announced change in the 'confirmed bed type' policy is actually an "expansion" of this benefit, when in reality the removal of the 5K bonus point 'penalty' to Hyatt if they failed to honor the policy has completely defanged it! Overall, the announced changes are a significant net negative for the GP program going into 2015. I just hope that the promised January "enhancements" won't be like these...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think overall it's not a win for us though. Some of the properties that moved down are nice (like Coconut Point, Grand Cypress and Dubai), but the majority of them are nowhere near the caliber of some of the ones that moved up (like Macau and certainly not Hadahaa, which now costs twice as much cash for a points & cash redemption).

19. freewon

freewon Active Member

Status Points:
    I understant that the cat. change is combination of avg. room rate and room occupancy rate. Could you give more detailed informaiton for Hyatt cat. adjustment?

I know low cat. property with very nice service and room conditions and cat. 4 property with really poor and dirty room.

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't say that I have ever had a problem getting the bed type I wanted and booked at Hyatt (or anywhere else for that matter), so the bonus was mostly a mythical thing. But I don't quite understand what a guarantee without compensation in case of a broken promise now means. Is it just a marketing bullet point now?

viguera and Wandering Aramean like this.
  21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bed type guarantee policy currently applies only to elites. What they have now done for 2015 on, is to do away with the 5000 bonus points that made it a guarantee and expanded the resulting toothless policy to cover everyone, not just elites. So, what happens now on the very rare occasions that the guarantee is not honored? That is just it. Absolutely nothing happens, which is why this marketing ploy that was designed to make Hyatt appear magnanimous ("expansion of bed type guarantee to all") has fallen flat.

viguera likes this.
  22. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

From the actual webpage, the My Elite Rate was for 2014. Look for the new My Elite Rate — exclusively for Platinum and Diamond members — and enjoy 20% off the daily rate on any standard room in 2014 (subject to availability). Now, while I and probably every other Hyatt GP elite member was hoping that it would return in 2015, this is not the case. I hope it will eventually return, but this was a one year test and Hyatt has decided to not offer it again. If you consider it a 1yr sale, it is probably less of a devaluation than how you have framed it in this thread. Let me re-emphasize, I WILL MISS IT and hope it returns, but am not gutted as you seem to be by the announcement.

Having had the opportunity to attend the event Hyatt hosted in Chicago, I came away with the sense that Hyatt does care about its members and does listen. I also understand that Hyatt is a business and some decisions, while not popular with members must reflect the economy they operate within. In this case, perhaps the beta phase suggested that while popular amongst MP and FTers, it did not have traction throughout the Elite levels or with the hotels.

William JLP and IDGflygirl like this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is an improvement from 2013. It is worse than 2014. I guess your view overall depends on the timeframe you choose to evaluate over.

I agree that choosing to drop the bed type guarantee because it is no longer actually a problem appears to be some marketing double-speak. If you're never paying out then why cut the benefit? And "guaranteeing" that everyone gets what they booked without some sort of tangible backstop there doesn't do much good when there is a failure. If I've booked a certain room type I expect to have that delivered when I show up at the front door. If you're unable to do deliver what I've ordered AND I get nothing for my troubles then does it really matter?

NYCUA1K and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen this argument all over the place among the Hyatt apologists. The point is that My Elite Rate [MER] could just as easily have been extended, which would have been a net positive. For consistency, one must also see its demise as a net negative. The true value of MER for me was that it made the generally higher room rates at Hyatt properties comparable to the rates at other chains (Marriott, Hilton), and that is precisely why MER could not possibly have survived. C&P, on the other hand, has a clear value for Hyatt and every program that has implemented it because it is infinitely better to get some money from a redemption than no money at all as is the case of a full redemption..
    Well, if they do listen then they must have heard the repeated calls to fix their chronically unreliable website or to allow the online booking of C&P...:(

25. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

I am not sure if you are calling me an apologist or just lumping me into the category. It is unnecessary to label others that you may disagree with. :rolleyes:

Clearly there is a consensus re: the terms as presented. FWIW, I did not consult any other verbiage other than the Hyatt website on the matter.

Not happy, don't like it, well weigh it against what other programs offer and select the one that works best for you but you should refrain from placing labels on others, especially since you do not know me and have no idea what my position is aside from this one post.

alfagirl and IDGflygirl like this.