Hyatt Gold Passport Award Chart Update Effective January 7, 2014

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by J Zidell VP Hyatt, Nov 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. J Zidell VP Hyatt

J Zidell VP Hyatt Official Representative

Status Points:
    Dear MilePoint Community,

As you know, Hyatt and the Hyatt Gold Passport program continue to grow and evolve, and from time to time we need to make programmatic changes. We don’t take these decisions lightly, and we do our very best to make sure that we communicate changes as quickly as possible to minimize the impact on your future travel plans. Today, I wanted to let you know about a set of Award Chart changes that will take place on January 7, 2014.

We are introducing a new Category 7, which includes six Park Hyatt hotels in Beaver Creek, Milan, Paris, Sydney, Tokyo and Zurich, and requires 30,000 points. We are also changing the number of points required to redeem a Free Night Award for standard rooms and upgraded rooms in select categories.

In addition, 38 hotels are shifting between categories. This includes 21 hotels moving to a higher category and 17 hotels moving to a lower category. Existing reservations for stays starting January 7, 2014, will receive a refund for the point difference if the hotel moved to a lower category.

Lastly, the points required to upgrade your paid stay to a Regency®/Grand Club® room or suite will now be on a per-night basis.

As always, we will continue to make redemption as easy as possible with no blackout dates. And if we have a standard room available at any location, on any day of the year, you’re more than welcome to reserve it with your Hyatt Gold Passport points.

Please click here to Learn More.

I wish you safe travels.

With my warmest personal regards,

Jeff Zidell

Senior Vice President, Hyatt Gold Passport

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    Garp74, LETTERBOY and storyteller like this.
  2. socalgecko

socalgecko Silver Member

Status Points:
    This maybe the first award chart change I've seen awhile where I actually breathed a sigh of relief. And cheers for offering to refund points for stays booked in rooms that drop a category!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update Jeff and for giving us advance warning on the changes.

B1BomberVB and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for keeping the community informed.

OceanBreezes and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess all the generous promos the last couple years made this unavoidable ...

</sarcasm>

drewbles and viguera like this.
  6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was almost bound to happen, but bravo to HGP for making the changes reasonable and for giving fair warning.

The biggest downgrade is clearly the change from per-stay to per-night suite upgrades, but that was also always the most outrageously valuable element of the program to the point where I was surprised that it was so inexpensive to buy up to a suite. So fair is fair with that one...

B1BomberVB and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. cardinalkid

cardinalkid Active Member

Status Points:
    This devaluation isn't too bad IMO. Kudos for the advance notice and allowing refunds

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  9. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for being the one to give us the update Jeff. Your willingness to engage with the community face to face on many occasions is appreciated.

OceanBreezes, FEV77, DJP_707 and 3 others like this.
  10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    One data point from the new chart: Park Hyatt Beaver Creek during the off season (e.g. April).
    Advance purchase: $212.74 all in = 30,000 GPP
    That's 0.7 cent/point!!! :eek:
    It may no longer be "as easy as possible" to find a consistently good value in this program.

11. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Disappointing, certainly. As someone who is very loyal to Hyatt, the lack of free night promotions, and large point increases make it almost impossible to stay at any top tier property.

12. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the 22,000 level for such high-priced and high-quality properties has been a sweet spot, and, especially since the ability to acquire Ultimate Rewards points easily, undervalued. I'm sorry to see this increase, but find the chart as a whole to be fair, and the treatment of future bookings to be refreshingly fair, honest and open.

traveltoomuch and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    HR Maui 6 -->5! Awesome!
    OK, moderately awesome given that the point price goes from 22K -->20K not 18K.
    HR Louisville KY 3 --> 4! HP South Bend IN 2 -->3! WTH?!

Re: M7VO above: It would be nice if Hyatt would add PointSavers like Marriott &or B4G1 like Marriott & Starwood.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, but only if one would otherwiise pay a rate that is eligible forr these upgrades. I'd be happy to use some points this way, but often I can't justify the higher room ratee that is required.

15. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not thrilled myself, but unavoidable I guess. Especially after I just netted 50k bonus points from the last promo.

Makes the Park Hyatt SYD pretty poor now, going from 22000 to 30000 for a night. I guess it's to be expected as it's always a very pricy room, regardless of the time of year.

The Andaz increases are also disappointing. I was planning on using my points at Andaz next year, and it will result in significantly less nights for me now.

16. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope we see the return of some nice promotions to offset the increase in redemption rates. Their last promotion (earn up to 50,000 bonus points) isn't even enough for 2 nights at their new category 7 properties.

drewbles likes this.
  17. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thought exactly. The most recent promo is almost compensating for the increase to lower tiers, and making top tiers even harder to use.

I booked a night at the Park Hyatt Sydney today for 22,000 points. I didn't want to (was hoping to save them up for mid-next year when travelling in the USA), but with the pending increase, I figured I should try it now before I deplete my points stash.

18. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be cool, and I certainly wouldn't complain if they did that, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the increase?

19. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would be nice if they offset that a little by letting you upgrade on any published rate vice Hyatt Daily rate.

20. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I expect good promotions since it's not reasonable for me to use all of my existing points by January 7, 2014 for future stays. Just like most other travelers I know, I like to keep an "emergency fund" of points so with those being devalued I expect at least an offset. I think if you build loyalty with a chain over time, don't you expect that loyalty to be mutual or reciprocated? I do.

21. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Ill take rare exceptions like this over having seasonal awards like SPG.

22. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also worth noting seasonal awards never make a ski resort redemption in summer a reasonable value anyway. Just too much variation in cash rates.

23. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some might say that's a little naive of you in the airline/hotel loyalty game.

24. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you expect that, you're being incredibly naive. I would certainly want that, but it's totally unrealistic to expect that.

I think it's more than a little naive.

25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Smart move by Hyatt to wait until people had been "numbed" by the wave of 'devaluations' that hit the hotel and airline loyalty programs to announce their own 'devaluation', which, considering that there are ~3,900 HHonors vs ~500 GP properties, seems to me to be as "bad" as HHonors'. Like in the GP devaluation, some HHonors properties did go to lower categories, very few (over-the-water bungalow types) made it to the new cat 10 level, whereas the wide majority of hotels did maintain their cat levels. The sticker shock following the HHonors 'devaluation' was felt for the few, high-end, cat 9-10 properties, which may be proportionate to the number of high-end Cat 7 GP properties that have been made tough to redeem for. Therefore, I would have expected more posts like this one
    than the relatively muted general response that greeted this announcement, especially in view of the absolutely devastating new policy of paying for upgrades per night rather than per stay as before. In fact, I always found the old suite upgrade policy of paying per stay inconsistent with GP's generally stingy policy on upgrades compared to HHonors (I'd written at length about this before). Like the recent credit card snafu, it might have been an error initially to offer suite upgrade on per stay basis, but considering its immediate popularity and that the program was relatively small, Hyatt kept it on as a draw, but it was unsustainable and they have finally pulled the plug on it.

So, we have a fairly devastating 'devaluation' that is greeted with a muted response (the number of posts in this thread is minute compared to that in the threads announcing the HHonors or UA MP 'devaluations'), and I attribute it to Hyatt's perfect timing of their announcement...after folks were already numb and desensitized by prior devaluations. Smart, very smart. ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    uggboy likes this.