Hyatt Gift Certificate/Card Changes 2014

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge, Dec 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hello MilePoint members,

As of January 8, 2014, Hyatt Stay Certificates will be replaced by Hyatt Nights Certificates, which are available for bulk purchase by registered businesses only. Hyatt Nights certificates are not available to the general public and are intended for use as corporate incentives, employee engagement, consumer loyalty, credit card redemption programs and auction packages. Hyatt will continue to honor Hyatt Stay Certificates through the expiration date printed on each certificate and subject to all terms and conditions applicable to such certificates.

Hyatt Nights certificates are sold in single-night increments and offer last room availability at participating Hyatt hotels worldwide when a standard room is available. Businesses interested in purchasing Hyatt Nights certificates may get more information at www.hyattincentiverewards.com. Participating Hyatt hotels and designated Hyatt Nights redemption levels can be viewed at http://hyattincentiverewards.com/ParticipationLocations.aspx.

Hyatt Weekend Certificates and Hyatt Spa Certificates sales will be discontinued on January 7, 2014, and participating hotels will accept existing certificates through April 30th, 2015.

Consumers may purchase Hyatt Gift Cards, Hyatt Check Certificates and newly available Hyatt eGift Cards, which are designed for purchase as gifts for friends, colleagues or loved ones. These are easy to use, cover any fees (such as resort fees) and often do not expire.

As of December 18, 2013, Hyatt eGift Cards are available for purchase on Hyatt.com. Hyatt eGift Cards are like traditional plastic Hyatt Gift Cards and valid at all Hyatt hotels in the United States, Canada and Caribbean toward the purchase of room charges, restaurants, spas and more, but they are also instantly delivered by email, incur no shipping and handling charges, provide Hyatt-branded design options or photo upload options, and can be redeemed by smartphone, tablet or printing.

2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    These all sound like reasonable changes. Thanks for the head's up.

LETTERBOY and traveltoomuch like this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry but I don't see where the link shows anything about Hyatt Night Certificates nor what they cost and where they can be used. What am I missing?

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are several parts to the page. One, for instance, is Certificates For Stays Of 1 To 3 Nights and I understand that will be renamed Hyatt Night Certificate.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow...you're much more forgiving than I'd be if I cared about the Hyatt program.

The old certs allowed for some great bargains on hotel rooms in many circumstances and they were widely available to just about anyone who bothered to look. The new program is quite opaque and as consumers we have virtually no access to the new version. This is not simply renaming the old to the new; this is removing them from access.

As consumers all we will be able to buy is gift certs at a dollar value which will then be redeemed at that dollar value. No spread to play with at all.

We lose. :(

Nope...they are not being renamed; they are being removed.

6. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This really sucks. I have now decided to drop Hyatt as my preferred hotel chain and will focus on SPG (their Lifetime Platinum program is the main reason) and IHG (their Point Break promo is quite something). I'll be burning my GP points before the award change in 2 weeks.

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very negative news from Hyatt.

Kalboz and Tenmoc like this.
  8. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to blame the messenger.

So very negative news from 27 boarding area blogs.

Folks, I kid I kid.

uggboy likes this.
  9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think people are overstating the negativity of this. It seemed to me all along that the stay certificate use we have enjoyed (I have certainly been among the revelers) was a twist on the intended purpose. I really think Hyatt has found a way to wall them off for the use which they probably intended all along. The closing of an exploited loophole just doesn't seem like an occasion for, "Boy all of these companies sure are getting Grinchy and exploiting the proles!" sentiment.

Steven Schwartz, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Of course they have a reason they're doing it. They're cutting off one of the ways consumers could beat the system. Well within their prerogative and there's nothing "wrong" with it, but that doesn't mean it is a good thing.

It is a negative change for consumers.

11. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm one of the lucky ones. We purchased three nights of certificates at about $185/night and made reservations at the Grand Hyatt Cannes for June. Rate for the basic room is 600 Euro! Now they are gone but really, that's been the story for the 10 years I've been playing this game. I do believe the golden days are gone but there are still ways to enjoy to good life for a song. I remember thinking when I made the reservations for Cannes that it made no sense. Apparently Hyatt agrees with me! This is one thing that I certainly don't blame them for. If it's too good to be true....

Kalboz likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, some people love devaluation.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ?????

No one loves devaluation. Not sure what your point is. Don't like death and taxes either.

Kalboz likes this.
  14. jrn183

jrn183 Active Member

Status Points:

15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was more or less bewildered that some people here in this thread or in other threads stand up for the companies who fabricate good news, despite they report devaluations which "hit" guests in the future and let real bargains evaporate. It's a recurring theme where posters stand up for the companies involved instead of trying to figure out what it all means in real terms, which lets me to believe that some people "love" devaluations, why? These posters never stand up for the guests, they only want to hide the truth that it's more and more difficult to see value in such chains as Hyatt and Co. That's the truth.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    Kalboz likes this.
  16. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I understand your upset and frustration, uggboy. But from my perspective, not all changes can be painted with the same brush. Some, like the recent Hilton one and the horrendous United one (for their Star Alliance partners) are over the top. Hard to imagine anyone finding much good to say about them, or, from your perspective, defending them. Others are adjustments to situations where the value proposition becomes totally out of whack for the issuer. Maybe it's using credit cards to buy coins or buying Vanilla Reload cards with credit cards, or, in this case, eliminating a benefit that allowed people to get $800 rooms for less than $200. Those things don't last forever and even when you are taking advantage of them, you have to realize that it's a "get it while you can" phenomenon.

The frustration to me remains that it's always their ball and they not only get to make the rules, they get to change them whenever they want. We knew this from the beginning - and all the gurus telling us to earn em and burn em are usually right. But we live in a time when there are so many big credit card bonuses that it is not too hard to accumulate a whole bunch of points that will take years to redeem. I can only say that if our cash savings and retirement funds were allowed to devalue like points, there would be a revolt in this country!

Kalboz, uggboy and Jenny & Curt like this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How is this one OK but UA's not? You are getting a $800 room for $185 - a product for pennies on the dollar - just like a business class flight for a steep discount with miles. In both cases the company is increasing the prices closer to "par value" for the product. UA still offers a chance at a discount while Hyatt only will have cash-value option.

Arguably this is worse for consumers as there is no chance to "win" the game with this change.

I understand why the companies make the changes and I respect that they are running a business, not a charity. Edge case uses are easy to ignore when they are infrequent and as they become more commonly used there should be no surpise that they are addressed. Completely fair in this game, but it doesn't mean that the customers necessarily should be happy or even passively accepting about such changes.

uggboy and Tenmoc like this.
  18. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seth, I think if you read my postings carefully, you will have trouble finding anywhere that I said that either I was happy about these changes or that anyone should be happy. Everyone is free to decide what pisses them off and by how much. All I said was that this change did not surprise me. And I stress "me".

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So answer the very specific scenario/question posed: How are these changes more acceptable than UA or HH's recent moves? And remember that you said that, not me.

Is it just because you used these so rarely that the net impact to you is small enough not to care? If I never stay at luxury/full service HH-branded hotels in big cities or island resorts can I say that the HH changes are trivial? What if I mostly redeem miles for coach travel with United & partners?

Also keep in mind that, while your follow-up was about you specifically, the one I responded to before suggested ways other people should behave/react.

20. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Boy do I not wish to get into a pissing match but here goes. The game we play is points and miles. There is a definite tension between the issuers desire to maximize their income by selling/issuing them versus their desire to give as few seats/rooms away as possible. Clearly, to me, they would love to make money on the points and never let anyone use them, but to do so would make them worthless and would be the end of the game. So they have to let them have value. Different programs have different advantages and disadvantages. We spend hours on boards like this trying to find out the best ways to stay ahead of the curve and to learn from each other how to best use them. And we know that it is a constantly moving target, making boards and bloggers even more useful. But in the end, it's about points and miles to me - how to get them and how to use them. So in that game, when an issuer makes changes of the magnitude of what UA just did, it so dramatically changes the value proposition that you can't just sit back and absorb it - we have to develop alternative strategies.

The Hyatt Stay Certificates were, again to me, an outlier - a nice non-point, non-elite status, way of getting some very good deals. Maybe I'm wrong but my sense is that they were not heavily used. And let me also say that I've had many stays using Ritz Carlton Certificates - most recently at their hotel in Hong Kong. So this change just didn't seem , again to me, to be something at the heart of the points/miles game and it didn't get my bowels in an uproar like the UA change.

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is the part I guess I struggle with in your points here. Maybe fewer people used the stay certs, but that doesn't mean losing them shouldn't matter. Also, we don't really know that fewer people used them. In terms of what is changing, I think that this move is more significant than what UA or HH did recently. We're going from a situation where there was some potential to get a deal with Hyatt to one where that option has been completely removed. With both UA and HH the change was notable as well but there are still ways in which those points can be used to acquire the product at a discount. The replacement option from Hyatt does not offer that.

Maybe a lot of people facing a smaller challenge is more significant that fewer people facing a larger challenge. Maybe not. But it is hard for me to see this change "painted" as trivial while other moves are "over the top" when the reality is that personal travel patterns are much more likely to drive that decision than someone telling me that I shouldn't care because something else is worse.

Just because you don't use the certs doesn't mean they're not the same or even more significant to someone else. Of course we all adapt as the changes happen and that's part of the game. But I think it is a disservice to all to say that this change doesn't matter just because some people might not be as affected as others.

IDGflygirl, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  22. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    "Maybe fewer people used the stay certs, but that doesn't mean losing them shouldn't matter"

"But I think it is a disservice to all to say that this change doesn't matter just because some people might not be as affected as others."

Again - these quotes from your post are YOUR words, not mine.

23. Todd T. - Gold Passport

Todd T. - Gold Passport Official Representative

Status Points:
    Steven - First off, greetings. Todd here, formerly of Hyatt Gold Passport, but don't let that deceive you. I now manage the Hyatt Gift Card, Hyatt Nights and Hyatt Check Certificate programs. And yes, I'm a Milepoint lurker, but a fellow Milepoint enthusiast as well! Greetings to fellow MegoDo'ers! All that to say, let me provide a bit more information here.

We released details about the new Hyatt Nights program to Milepoint members prior to that of the general public, which will be on January 8th. We are still working behind the scenes to get all of the new product information, FAQs and T&Cs up on our Business-to-Business site http://hyattincentiverewards.com/, which which will be up on January 8th. Businesses interested in Hyatt Nights may fill out a general interest form at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/hyattincentiverewards

IDGflygirl likes this.