Hyatt gift cards 10% off on cardpool.com

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by flyerfrog, Sep 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. flyerfrog

flyerfrog Active Member

Status Points:
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Me thinks these are gift cards redeemed via Capital One points, via folks who signed up for the 100k mileage match. ;)

3. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. 10% off eh, not as good as Costco, but still not bad. Need to go check out the T&C

4. jd623

jd623 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that these are from the guy that killed the Cap1 $900 cards for the rest of us...

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1080948/?start=560

About 3/4 of the way down there are posts from user TheHimalayas who talks about selling cards to Cardpool which appears to have sparked the crackdown on the $900 GC redemptions.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  5. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    IMO 10% is not enough of a discount to deal with the "risks" of dealing with an individual that you don't know anything about - such as reliability, trustworthiness, even stuff beyond their control like the USPS. Costco was a great deal because it was 20% sold by an established retailer and you have the certs in your hand when you leave the store. Not sure what kind of payment arrangement is called for with these cards but if they don't take credit cards, you're out the "rebates" on the cards (be it cash, miles, points etc).

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That and I can often get 10% off via prepaid rates (my plans rarely change, though I don't tend to book prepaid too far out).

7. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll give you the delivery thing, but you really aren't dealing with an individual. I've bought a large number of gift cards from Cardpool (and the various other online gift card sites that have popped up over the last few years) and have not really had any issues (those with with Plastic Jungle when they first started. They do take credit cards, so no worries on that front.

That having been said, not getting the prepaid discount does reduce the usefulness of these quite a bit at the 10% discount level. I haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger yet.

peteropny likes this.
  8. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok - I was speaking "generally" not knowing how these sites work - I thought it was more of an eBay / craigslist type of site. Learn something new every day :)

I still think that 10% isn't really significant enough of a savings though - even though I very rarely book a prepaid rate.

9. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    The description says:

"Hyatt is an international hospitality company with a family of branded hotels, resorts, residential properties, and vacation properties. Experience Hyatt’s hospitality at one of their 400+ properties worldwide."

The implicit suggestion is that these gift cards are valid worldwide.

But I've got both the Hyatt gift cards and gift certificates and the gift cards are valid only in the US, Canada, and Caribbean, while the certificates are valid worldwide.

So don't buy these if you want to use them abroad (besides Canada and the Caribbean)!

OceanBreezes and Quasiconvexity like this.
  10. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, some of the new sites that have popped up (Plastic Jungle, Cardpool, Cardwoo, ABC Gift Cards, Gift Card Castle, Gift Card Rescue, etc) have been very reliable source of discounted GCs for me. Over the last 6 months I've been tracking, I've purchased a whole lot of GCs (covering a lot of my day to day spending) from these guys at an average discount of just over 9%. These sites are also a help for me with initial spends for CC bonuses; I don't mind pulling forward a little purchasing if I can get a discount on it.

I did notice that a site popped up more recently (Coupon Trade) that seems to be more like you mentioned (a site brokering a purchase from another individual). Not unlike you, I wouldn't touch the ones on eBay / Craigslist / this new Coupon Trade with a 10 foot pole!

11. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
  12. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Connect through mrrebates.com to cardpool.com to get an extra 1% cash back.