Hyatt Gift Card used at Check Out - Different Experiences

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by mundosurfer, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have tried using Hyatt gift cards at different property brands and it seems the process is different every time.
    Experience 1 - Hyatt Place: Front desk staff was confused, located the Hyatt Place Handbook and followed step by step instructions by calling a number. They got back a 3 digit code and applied the gift card amount to my folio. (total time 20 minutes)

Experience 2 - Hyatt Place: (Different Location) Front desk advised me that the Manager had to perform operation, he went into his office and came back and said amount had been applied to my folio.

Experience 3 - Andaz: Front desk took card and swiped it on computer, it came back as invalid with a zero balance. I handed them another card to show that it was not zero since they were both new, still came back as zero. He called manager who took card to an office, they swiped it there and it worked.

Experience 4 - Grand Hyatt - Coming Soon

FriendlySkies likes this.
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. I wonder what the issue was with the Andaz.. :confused:

3. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had no problem using the gift card at Hyatt Santa Clara. Was a pain at HP Fremont.

4. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used two of them at the Andaz Wall Street without issue. In fact, everything went smoothly at that hotel I don't remember the checkout at all.

5. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The staff mentioned that their system is set up to read the cards right at the computer, they were not sure why there was an issue.

6. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just imagine the people who had their cards swiped, and told there was nothing on it. I'd imagine that quite a few have been tossed.

Every single gift card I've ever used took at least 10 minutes at HP in the US. Some have taken 20. I try not to use them anymore, and have two left. Most of my stays are outside the US, where they're generally not accepted.

7. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I try and process Hyatt gift checks either at check in or during check-out when a manager is present, so there is enough time for things.