Hyatt French Quarter

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge, May 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Greetings Milepoint Members!

We are happy to announce the opening of the Hyatt French Quarter in New Orleans, marking the third Hyatt to open in the area in the past year. The 254-room hotel is located in the historic French Quarter and recently underwent an $18 million dollar renovation with upgrades to the guestrooms, hotel exterior, lobby, pool and deck area. The Hyatt French Quarter also offers new food and beverage outlets, including a Powdered Sugar, a bodega-inspired market, and Batch, an upscale Bar and Lounge.

Happy Travels!

2. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heading to New Orleans this weekend, would love to check it but need 3 rooms. With my rate of $112 a night at the Hilton Garden Inn, I won't be able to convince the friends to switch to a $200+ a night room.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Renovation? What was the previous name of this hotel?

4. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was this the Hyatt hit by Katrina?

5. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure they renovated both of the Hyatts. I am staying at the other one and I think it said it had just finished major renovations a few months ago as well.

6. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, this was the Chateau Bourbon? Great location for most tourists as well.

7. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it bookable online because I can't find a weekend open from May to July?

9. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    This hotel is available to be booked online. Looking at the availability of the property, it appears to be very busy on weekends.

-Nick B.

10. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    They weren't able to accommodate my diamond gold passport availability guarantee.

11. NYCAdventurer

Status Points:
    Looks like the reason there is no availability is because they are having a soft opening. They are still working on the hotel, saw workers painting the facade over the weekend.

12. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone stayed here yet?

13. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be there next week and review it extensively
    I will also be staying at the old reborn and renovated Hyatt Regency for comparison.It will be my first stay since Katrina did it in

studio253 likes this.
  14. ARLVACP

ARLVACP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just reserved the Hyatt French Qtr for an August stay - how was your stay last month?

15. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Review Hyatt French Quarter

Upon ArrivalWhen my driver pulled up to the entrance of the hotel I was impressed with the beautiful landscaping and flowers out front.
    I enjoyed my short brief stay and have already booked other upcoming reservations for later this year.

It will be my property of choice when in New Orleans. How wonderful that this unique property is now a part of the Gold Passport Program[​IMG]
    Most of the team here on board aren’t new comers they are highly seasoned long time industry folks that know their city, their customers and their property.
    There wasn’t anything I asked for that they weren't can do ! Really nice folks that seem happy to welcome their guests

Many folks here were with the former Wyndham and seem inspired and proud with all the improvements under the new Hyatt Flag.
    I was expecting a quick walk through of the property from the bellman or the wonderful front office manager there however
    I was surprised when the GM took his valuable time to meet me after breakfast to give me the grand tour which was very nice of him.
    He hails from the Hyatt Brunswick, New Jersey property that some of you may be familiar with on the East Coast.
    This is not your cookie cutter Hyatt. It is a unique sometimes quirky renovated hotel that is boutique like where few rooms other than furniture are really alike.
    Each has its own unique character, charm with those old world high ceilings. You really don’t know you are in a Hyatt which is part of the fun.
    However you will know once you earn your points and stay credit [​IMG]

Rooms and suites may over look a courtyard, a pool or the French Quarter
    Rooms facing the courtyard if I remember have balconies. Refrigerators and wifi are available in every room
    The fitness center was basic not special or upscale but ok for those seeking the typical cardio Bikes and treadmills.
    They did not make the fitness center a priority.And from my conversation there is a plan in the works to add more cardio equipment.
    Though I like the renovation and the hotel for my purposes it is not a high end renovation of elegance but a good enough one none the less.
    I had hoped some of the public areas would be more special but the public areas seem more expected or typical.
    I liked the bar area just off the lobby floor “The Batch Lounge”very much that really stood out with some cool factor.
    It would have been nice to see a restaurant with that much class in house.

The only thing I would really have to say is a let down is the food/dining options in house.
    There is a Brennan restaurant just around the corner of the lobby called the "Red Fish Grill".
    They do a very respectable burger at lunch and some of the salads are actually pretty good but they aren’t consistent.
    At dinner some of my guests wanted a burger and they refused to make it so I took my party elsewhere in the Quarter.
    Though I could live without burgers on the menu it’s what my guests wanted and if it matters to my guests it matters to me that they be happy.
    And the restaurant refused which is of course within their right to do so but lost all the rest of our revenue on a slow night.

There isn't much lunch or dinner I like on the menu (dinner a tad better) for my taste and the dishes are busy.
    Some of the folks that work there are really wonderful but I have not and will never be a Brennan dining fan
    having dealt with the Baco when it was inside off the lobby of the W French Quarter before going out of business. The food was average for top shelf prices.
    However because the Red Fish Grill is in partnership with the hotel and Hyatt I will support it to the best of my ability as a highly satisfied guest of the hotel.
    Will also give dinner a chance none the less on my return visit without my burger insisting guests in tow
    The décor of the Red Fish Grill IMHO is tacky and not that comfortable with wood booths and no padding on seating.
    They went for causal they achieved it! It’s my guess many of Hyatt’s customers will go elsewhere.

Diamond breakfast is taken in the lobby at grab and go counter called “Powdered Sugar Market”
    The coupons are very limited in value and in my opinion don't adequately cover a legitimate breakfast experience one would expect at a full service Hyatt.
    Especially without a Regency Club in house
    This is where the hotel needs the most improvement and find/come up other solutions.
    Be very interested to hear from our other Diamond GP guests their thoughts as well.
    I did get to meet one of the passionate chefs a great guy who wants to make it a stand out he will face challenges because of the set up at present.
    The menu options at present are very limited and food just fair
    The breakfast set up just seems plain wrong for a full Hyatt breakfast standard.
    Diamond or paid for or as part of a breakfast inclusive rate. It doesn’t even work for a good high quality continental breakfast IMHO.
    Though its certainly better than a Hyatt Place standard.

Ok so let me be clear for breakfast one orders while standing on a line at the register and gets their beverages and food Starbucks style
    Sometimes they will drop it off at the table if you like.When the line gets long this where it really gets concerning
    This would be my only main criticism of the hotel.
    Consider it the only serious mistake/oversight in the hotel planning that degrades the rest of the otherwise excellent experience.
    I will probably walk across to the Ritz Carlton and see how the breakfast is there.
    I am hoping they will do something like 48 Lexington in NYC where coupons are issued for 25 dollars per guest and can be used for breakfast lunch or dinner.
    This would go a long way to solving the basic problems at present.
    And would be an acceptable solution for those that may find the set up disappointing as I did.
    I'd even like to see the voucher also be useable for lunch in the Redfish Grill where one can receive full table service.I don't want to order cafeteria style on a line in a 4 star hotel [​IMG]

On a brighter note
    Thanks to a slower period I was able to upgrade to a suite as a courtesy.As we know its not a benefit unless using our confirmables.
    It was comfortable and spacious with new adequate furnishings.I noted in my accomodations as well as all guest rooms outstanding strips for recharging in great locations.I'm glad designers are paying more attention to functionality

The hotel is at the tip of Bourbon on the corner of Canal and is a straight walk down to all things one can love or hate about the French Quarter. I overlooked Canal Street and was still able to sleep though it wouldn't probably be my first choice
    The A/C was easy enough to adjust and was adequate
    I have waited for a long time to have a Hyatt in the FQ.Who new one day we would be so lucky?
    Thanks to the good folks at the Hyatt French Quarter for a wonderful stay hope to see you soon!
    Cheers

ARLVACP and uggboy like this.
  16. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

Status Points:
  17. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have they fixed the breakfast offering situation?