Hyatt Diamond is Worthless (Satire)

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by brucewil, Mar 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Disclaimer: No animals were harmed and no trees were destroyed in the making of this blog post. Any resemblance to actual events is purely coincidental. Your mileage may vary. YMMV.

As a new Hyatt Diamond Member, I was anxious to see how my new elite status would get me the upgrade I am rightly entitled to. After all, not everyone is elite like me, or so I thought. We arrived yesterday at the Hyatt Grand Tampa Bay around 9:30 AM after our early morning flight from Philadelphia. I was tired from having to wake at the ungodly hour of 3 AM. I figured I would use my new status to get in our room early as I had faxed several requests to hotel management in the weeks prior to our stay announcing my arrival. I asked for an early check-in, a late check out and to have our breakfast sent up to the room when we arrived. After all, I figured these were all reasonable requests commensurate with my newly attained status. Upon arrival I was disappointed to see there was no fanfare, no big fuss, nothing! Didn't they know who I was? I went up to the diamond check-in area and approached the gentleman at the desk. In a pleasant voice he said "how may I help you sir?" I told him I was checking in and could someone please take our bags to our room as I would really like to lay down now. He had a slightly puzzled look on his face when he said that it was only 9:30 and our room was still occupied by another guest. He promised to call me on my cell phone the minute our room was ready. I returned that same puzzled look, when I said to him, "don't you know who I am?" Once again in a very courteous voice he replied, "of course Dr. Wilderman, you are The Points Doctor". At this point I was starting to get a little frustrated. "But I have Diamond status, doesn't that mean something"? I sent 4 faxes to you in the last week with all my requests just like I learned from reading Milepoint everyday. He then proceeded to tell me the bad news. There was another Diamond member in MY suite. He had the nerve to ask for a 4pm check out this morning! In fact the entire hotel was filled with Platinum and Diamond members thanks to the new Chase Hyatt Visa card they were advertising all over the lobby. Surely my Diamond status trumps the lowly Platinum status that comes with a credit card. Couldn't they remove someone out of a room to make room for us? He then proceeded to tell me that ever since it was announced that the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay would be hosting the Fall FTU (Frequent Traveler University for those non Milepoint readers) the hotel was booking up all the suites before the room block was closed out. I am so glad I jumped on our tickets to the event and reserved my suite for that September weekend!

Very disappointed we went outside to sit around the pool until our suite was ready. About 5 minutes later, that nice young man from the Diamond desk showed up to tell me that they have solved the problem. Our room still wouldn't be ready until near noon, but they had upgraded us to a large corner suite. SCORE! I guess making a pest of yourself pays after all! Maybe next time I will try to get the property manager's home phone number to avoid these problems in the future.

In all seriousness, the staff here at the Grand Hyatt has been wonderful. We do have a beautiful corner suite on the 11th floor overlooking the water. (what? they could give me the club floor?) We had a wonderful dinner at Oystercatchers last night. Great seafood. The Calamari fries were awesome and the fish was very fresh. I can see why it was rated in the top ten out of 800+ restaurants on Trip Advisor in Tampa. We look forward to our return for FTU in September.

www.ThePointsDoctor.com

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I certainly hope that you were given the diamond helicopter ride from the airport to the hotel.

HansGolden likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    The helicopter bores me. They never let me play with the controls. These days I insist on a giraffe ride. A little slower, sure, but it does attract attention.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    you're out of luck as the last one was eaten by an alligator

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    They don't liftvyour giraffe via helicopter?

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anybody can do that... now take the helicopter from the lobby to my suite, that's value.

marcwint55 and MX like this.
  7. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't believe they had the audacity to address you politely by name! There are many more appropriate ceremonial titles.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if you include them in your reservation, they will use them, especially in Asia.

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clearly this problem could have been resolved by wearing the necessary clothing:

[​IMG]

As seen here by mr wijomas
    [​IMG]

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    So says HRH Scottrick?