Hyatt Diamond Challenge - Returning in 2015 ?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Terry Yap, Dec 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's obviously still speculation, but they also don't mention anything about the certs during the challenge.

My guess is that they will modify the challenge so that you only receive the certs if you do complete it, rather than ahead of time (which should defer some people who were only interested in the suite upgrades).

Or it could be something more nefarious, like the certs going away altogether for people who qualify via the challenge, although that's unlikely because it is mentioned as a Diamond benefit.

Again, it's all speculation at this point though.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. Talks about the wifi benefits of the elite membership. Thought that's more or less becoming a standard benefit for anyone walking through the door.

Newscience and viguera like this.
  4. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Some of the above information is correct in terms of how you need to qualify. Still 12 eligible nights in 60 days and one trial per member. The status of the Diamond membership will not be applied until after the trial is finished. The complete terms and conditions will be released once all the changes are finalized. Please check back!

-Kaycee D.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch... I think one of the most ideal terms of the Hyatt challenge was that you were granted status up front, so that you would know what to expect from not only completing the challenge, but also continuing to re-qualify later on.

It's understandable though, as it was ripe for abuse, but now you'll have to put a dozen nights into a new chain at rock bottom status and that's not really indicative of what kind of perks you're working towards.

Sucks for people that are going to start the trial now :)

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those "most ideal terms" were in fact the most incomprehensible (read: foolish) aspect of the discontinued version of the Hyatt Diamond challenge. It was like getting the winner's trophy simply for being eligible to run in a marathon, without a limit on the number of marathons that one is eligible to run in! The bloggers characterized it as "lucrative", which is usually their code word for "being taken to the cleaners."

It sounds like Hyatt learned their lesson and will now reissue a Diamond challenge that adheres to the industry standards...

viguera likes this.
  7. Tokyo Hyatt Fan

Tokyo Hyatt Fan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not "rock bottom". You get Platinum status throughout the trial.

viguera likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It means the same thing as "rock bottom"...;)

viguera likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    In a way I agree, but you're also selling me on your program... What do I have to look forward to as a Diamond that I should even bother with a challenge?

They should do a modified challenge / match. If you have status with another chain, offer me instant Diamond throughout the challenge. If I don't qualify then I get a rock.

But if I'm Johnny Nobody coming in off the street with no status, then offer me nothing until I complete the challenge.

That seems more likely to attract elites from other chains -- which might be more likely to be repeat customers than just people that sign up for the sake of having temporary status.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand your point, and it relates to one aspect of the new challenge that does not adhere to the industry norm: status with another program is not required. Without this requirement, it was and would again be foolish to award Diamond status upfront as an "appetizer" because it would lead to abuse. Rewarding someone who's shown the ability to reach top status with an other program gets rid of the low hanging fruit and carries less risk for abuse.

11. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    yay! I have a lot of hyatt stays planned for next year and the year after!