Hyatt credit card question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by el485h1, Mar 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. el485h1

el485h1 Active Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are interested in each acquiring this card and using the free nights for the Park Hyatt Paris next year. The $1000 in three months per card is definitely a piece of cake, but can I buy gift cards to cover the spend? I didn't see anything in the offer that says gift card purchases are intelligible. I'm looking to buy Home Depot gift cards, not any pre-paid debit card. Thanks!

SuperKirby likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a Chase card even though it is Hyatt-branded. I just logged into my Chase account and here are the listed benefits for the Chase Hyatt visa card:
    From the above, it seems to me that you will get 1 GP point/$ spent on the gift card because the spend will not be at Hyatt properties nor for restaurants, airlines or car rentals, which get more than 1 GP point/$.

SuperKirby, GoodBoy and edekba like this.
  3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Chase is pretty good about processing them as purchases. Citibank is the one you have to be careful with.

I buy amazon gift cards and VR cards with other chase cards at pharmacies and Office Max, and they show up as purchases on my chase credit cards, so it meets eligible spend.

-David

4. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the Hyatt card came out (I think 2-3 years now?), has the one free night category 1-4 always been their anniversary card bonus? Or did it use to be something else?

LIH Prem likes this.
  5. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    It hasn't changed.

-David

SuperKirby likes this.