Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by jfhscott, Nov 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just checked in.

This joint ain't gonna win no Pritzker prizes anytime soon.

They will start a reno in 12/12, so perhaps I should be cautious.

Got upgraded to a very large (maybe 800 square foot) executive suite. Huge living room and huge bathrooms make terrible use of space. The living room is downright stark.

The renovation will add a lounge. For now, diamonds get vouchers for buffet or full American plated breakfast.

Location is good, one block from Michigan Avenue.

2. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had steak and eggs for breakfast. Pretty good but not remarkable.

flyingdawg and sobore like this.
  3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    The gym here is tiny - perhaps will be improved are part of the renovation.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. Over the Atlantic

Over the Atlantic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you get the suite without having to use a Diamond confirmed upgrade?

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did not have to use a confirmed upgrade. And the suite is quite big (and deep but narrow). The living room has no windows at all, and it seems sparsely furnished to the point of being offputting. Wish I took pictures to share and I look forward to the renovation.

flyingdawg and Over the Atlantic like this.
  6. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, another stay during reno's. Gym is done, and is pretty good. The restaurant is closed as of 2/24. As a diamond, I got s free buffet set up in a third floor function room which masqueraded as a restaurant. It was very disappointing. My room had not been renovated, and I note, again, existing configurations are VERY odd. My bathroom had six feet of real estate (I counted the tiles) between the shower/tub and the commode, with another two feet to the vanity. Simply, the bathroom is huge, but has fixtures for a bathroom only half its size.

As for the bedroom, I presume the dreadful 25 inch tube TV's will go with the reno's.

Notably, there was (somewhat new looking) signage on the 16th floor indicating the location of a "club" on the north side of the property.

flyingdawg likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travelzoo special for this property:
    $25 -- Chicago: Mag Mile Brunch (Sat or Sun) w/Cocktails for 2, Reg. $50 (or $49 for 4 people)
    http://www.travelzoo.com/top20/64067478-1597205
    Source: Level Two at the Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    My stay was pre-reno (June 2012) and was very poor (location is great) but my stay/quality of accommodations & personnel was very sub Hyatt standard.

Per jfhscott's comment about reno starting in Dec '12, anyone have a stay here since renovations?

9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've only had breakfast there with folks staying a couple of times, but it was before redo. Haven't heard anything positive. Need a fresh review

10. Over the Atlantic

Status Points:
    I stayed at this property back in July, and was very pleased with both the state/stylish furnishing of the room I got (was upgraded at check in to what's classified as a corner room, but really is a suite) and attitude of the staff. The Diamond breakfast in the lobby restaurant was reasonable (choice of buffet or anything off the menu). I found an extraordinary AAA rate and changed from a points stay at PH to here...and was very pleased that I did so.

The only caveat? The location, while very convenient to Boul Mich, is also very close to Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Depending upon which "side" of the property you're staying, you will be exposed to a steady stream of EMT/ambulance traffic and sirens at all hours of the day and night. (It didn't bother me, as part of the appeal of visiting a downtown is taking in all aspects of its atmosphere. However, for a business traveler or light sleeper, this could be an issue.)

I can't seem to find any of the interior photos I snapped except for the attached shot of the view from my room.

Attached Files:

11. Over the Atlantic

Status Points:
    Incidentally, for those who might be interested in visiting the 2nd floor lobby--albeit virtually--Google Maps Street View has an interior view in which you can roam a good part of it, including the restaurant/bar.

12. Over the Atlantic

Status Points:
    I'm at the property this weekend, and was once again upgraded to an executive king.

My room this time is a little narrower than the huge corner suite I got last time, but is still a proper two-room suite. Also, my window is facing Erie Street and thus Northwestern Memorial Hospital; there are definitely sounds from the incoming ambulances. Interestingly, the property provides you with earplugs and explanatory postcard (see attachment).

Terrific treatment of this Diamond, along favorable location, makes this my go-to property in Chicago.

Attached Files:

13. reachdp

reachdp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upgraded to executive suite as Diamond.
    upload_2015-5-15_16-43-1.png upload_2015-5-15_16-43-44.png upload_2015-5-15_20-44-45.png upload_2015-5-15_20-44-58.png

14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points: