Hyatt CC Survey

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Liucoke, Mar 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Liucoke

Liucoke Silver Member

Status Points:
    As Gary mentioned a while back, Chase seems to have realized that it built a better card for earning Hyatt points than the Hyatt card, so they need to add some value to their Hyatt card to get more of us to use it (which, BTW, I absolutely appreciate. Plenty of companies would see this and take benefits away from the Preferred Sapphire to balance them out). I received a survey via email today that asked me to rate those benefit options (two screens worth!):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They then asked me to rank the items I valued highly (2x Gas/Groceries, Transfer to airlines 1:1, Point rebate), asked if I'd be content with some useless junk (magazines, spend points at bad ratios in lieu of cash...), asked my annual spend, and asked which card I use most and why.

Sadly, none of these were "If all Hyatt Chase card members spend $100,000,000 this year combined, we'll bring back Faster Free Nights!", though I did suggest that at the end in the open-ended question box. Not only would it drive some spending for Chase, but I think we'd all be fascinated to see how the social experiment - Kickstarter with miles?

Lastly a couple data points for folks trying to see who was targeted: only had the card since Feb (to get in on the bonus from the promo along with my Diamond trial that I'll complete tomorrow), spent about ~$1500 on it so far, but once I hit the minimum, have been just using it at Hyatt properties.

2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow - this could be great news. I've had the card a couple of years but did not get the survey. Just wrote to Chase letting them know that I read about the survey on Milepoint, that I was pleased that they were looking to make the card more attractive and that if some of these changes occur, I would switch almost all of my spend to it.

If others feel like I do, I would encourage you to do the same. Chase seems to be truly on top of their game and are clearly the most aggressive players in the credit card market right now. I think those of us who value Hyatt should let them know that we support these potential enhancements.

3. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the same survey too. Perhaps they're targetting new-ish cardholders? I received the Hyatt Visa around August last year and I don't quite use the card for anything non-Hyatt.

4. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got my card around the same time. No survey here.

5. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the survey too. I stressed in mine the fact that I don't use the card other places than Hyatt because of the 1 point/$1 dollar ratio. Why would I use this card for other purchases when I can use my Hilton Surpass and get 6 or 3 HH points per $1? Also, I mentioned the fact I would consider paying a reasonable annual fee for a more rewarding card - say more points or free nights - depending on what the offer was.

6. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on how you value HH and Hyatt points, it could be a wash at the low end. Three HH points could be worth the same as 1 Hyatt point. If it's close, my preference would be the Hyatt points. But I agree with you that the Hyatt card needs more earnings options if it's going to be an everyday card.

On that note, I hope that Hyatt doesn't implement the 2x spend on airlines, car rental and dining. Those categories offer no incentive to switch spend from the Sapphire Preferred. They need to differentiate this card from the competition. Gas and groceries would be my vote. It would be nice if they could take a page out of the HH AMEX playbook and offer 2x on cell phones or cable.

7. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither cardholders in our household received this account. Like others mentioned, if they bumped up the spend bonus I would use this card more. Only time we currently use is when we stay at a Hyatt.

That said I hope they introduce meaningful benefits such as rebate on redemptions etc. Not interested in airline lounge access.

8. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, they need to differentiate. Maybe iF they did FFN for card members? Or if they gave stay or night credits for card members that would be nice too. We already get a free cat 4 with the annual fee which is nice.

9. TravellingScholar

TravellingScholar Active Member

Status Points:
    Gas & Groceries would also be my top pick by a long shot. Currently Chase doesn't have a card that really rewards purchases in those categories, unless you count the Disney Premier which is aimed at a completely different crowd. Second would be Diamond status at $50,000. I'd never make diamond otherwise, but I'd gladly shift over 50k every year to get that.

How would they realistically work the transfers to airlines at 1:1? Even as a platinum member, earning 5.75 miles per dollar completely transferable seems like quite a bit. Add in the Hyatt card and now it's 8.75 miles per dollar?

Toula and kenbo like this.
  10. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I would love to see stuff like the Priority Club card (which I think is easily the best hotel CC benefit wise), such as 10% rebate. I would also love a $75 restaurant credit for every 2 night stay or 15% the HDR, or better earning rates (although I am torn here because increasing point floods just inevitably keep leading to more devaluation, which is ultimately self defeating).

I honestly do not want to see any more CC specific stuff though, like a FFN for the card only. I already think they focus WAY too much on the card. Personally I wish Plat status was still worth something by earning it. I mean, a guy who gets the card and stays 2 nights gets the same benefits as a person who stays 10 stays and 25 nights, which I think is wrong. I mean, I spent just shy of $10,000 at Hyatt last year on rooms alone (no tax) and had 35 room nights, but I get nothing beyond the guy who got the CC and stays a couple of nights. Obviously Plat status can't be worth much anymore now that damn near anyone can have it super easy.

kenbo likes this.